Fixtures 2016/17

Toxteth O'Grady

I am siding with club on this like I said, but just by a smidgen.

If you can't see both sides of the argument then that is more worrying I think. It's clear something changed where there should have been comms on it. But also you could argue we should have questioned it. But where does that stop? Question every cup draw before it happens for example? "Neil, can I just check we still go in at the 4th round like we always have done cause I am assuming that? Aye, cheers"

Anyway I am off for a pint. Top 6 nae bother either way and we will be near fine.

Don't like the chat about the Highland games either. Their travel every second week is horrendous, someone has to play them. Just get on with it.

Exactly. What do they propose? That ICT and Ross County play all their fixtures against each other during busy periods.

Same with midweek. Don't want midweek then reduce amount of fixtures, but then we would have less games against Rangers or Celtic.

Issue for me is it must of been reviewed and rubber stamped with what .... half a dozen pairs of eyes looking it over ..... and it still gets published.

Had some hopes with the rejigging of the League Cup that things were starting to move (slowly) in the right direction. Today's fixtures are just a prime example of ineptitude at the top of our game.

Shambles!

• Like 2

Let's live in the real world for a minute

We have been shafted. We have lost out on £120k of budgeted revenue. Our competition in the likes of Dundee will gain an extra £250k over us which is as much as 3 players.

We stand less chance of gaining points having 2 away games more v old firm over 3 sides.

The club are right to protest.mThe SPFL are a shambles and conjure up Sh1te like this routinely.

That £120k is as much as the Well Society are raising in a year.

• Like 4

We have been shafted. We have lost out on £120k of budgeted revenue. Our competition in the likes of Dundee will gain an extra £250k over us which is as much as 3 players.

We stand less chance of gaining points having 2 away games more v old firm over 3 sides.

The club are right to protest.mThe SPFL are a shambles and conjure up Sh1te like this routinely.

That £120k is as much as the Well Society are raising in a year.

Wait, we've been shafted because the SPFL decided to treat Rangers the same as if it was Hibs or Falkirk that came up. Oh dear, how fucking sad.

Surely the point is that teams that get four home games against the arse cheeks earn around £120,000 more for their extra two games against them while Motherwell, Partick and Hamilton play an extra home game against the likes of St Johnstone, Ross Co or Dundee.

Budgets are very tight at every club. I have no idea what wages a good SPL player gets but if it is £60,000 then the difference in the fixtures could mean that the clubs who are getting two more home games could be getting in two more quality players. These clubs are our immediate rivals.

I am pretty sure that all clubs would have budgeted for three games against Rangers or Celtic. Some clubs have got an unexpected increase in their income while others have seen a reduction. That cannot be right.

I loathe the Old Firm as much as anybody but the money we get from their supporters should be distributed as fairly as possible among the rest of the clubs. The SPL have cocked up again.

There may be a slight plus in that we have more home games against teams around our level and so have a better chance of beating them.

Others have pointed out other cock ups like Thistle and us playing Aberdeen and Ross Co at New Year while each could have been playing each other. Just one example that illustrates that no thought is put into creating the fixtures.

The whole episode does little to restore confidence in the SPL.

They are club 12 and this is what happened. If we've not budgeted properly because and we assumed they'd change the rules, then whose fault is it? Who did we expect Rangers to replace? club 2, coz THAT would've been fair!

They guarantee a few fixtures (New year) ensure roughly home/away and randomize the rest.

Same garbage 'crap','fix' shouts every single year.

Others have pointed out other cock ups like Thistle and us playing Aberdeen and Ross Co at New Year while each could have been playing each other. Just one example that illustrates that no thought is put into creating the fixtures.

So it's OK for County fans to travel for almost three hours each way at that time but not Motherwell fans?

As the SPFL are fond of saying, the SPFL is the clubs. It beggars belief then that they can issue fixtures which change an approach which dramatically affects clubs' budgets without consultation or even notification.

Like it or not, Celtic and Rangers bring many more paying customers and I don't think the club can be blamed for assuming that a previous rule wouldn't still apply without being notified otherwise. Other than well publicised changes did the SPL rules transfer to the SPFL?

Yes, the statement does play up our reliance on the money from the Old Firm but our limited budget has taken a serious knock before the season has even started. In recent seasons we knew we weren't getting any home games against Rangers and we budgeted accordingly. We don't need to rely on the 'blue pound' but we did expect a certain amount of them.

Why should Aberdeen have to travel to Dingwall, it's no better a journey than us travelling? Sadly it can't all be about Motherwell.

Have we though? And where does it all end? Maybe Kilmarnock gets Aberdeen and Hearts on a midweek and we get them on a Saturday meaning an extra 1,000 away fans turn up. Or maybe Dundee have a crucial relegation tie against us and they bring a huge support down or maybe we get Celtic in the Scottish Cup instead of Montrose. Or maybe it pisses down for three home matches in a row in January and a couple of hundred people decide to stay in the pub or the bookies while its sunny in Dingwall and a couple of hundred decide not to sit in the house.

Trying to calculate all the permutations and situations across a season is impossible and there will always be teams that benefit and teams that don't. The idea that everyone is entitled to the same level of income over a season is ridiculous.

I know this though, you don't lose £120k that you never had in the first place.

We got a tough break with the fixtures, sup it up and move on. The fact that we play Rangers in the League Cup partially makes up for the league game anyway.

• Like 1