Fixture List - Club Stance

Goggles & Flippers

125 members have voted

1. 1. Were the club right to complain about the fixture list?

• Yes - We're being compromised financially and given a sporting disadvantage
    • No - Rangers & Celtic are no different to any other club when it comes to fixtures

My opinions on the old firm stuff in thr other thread are clear.

As for the Xmas Eve game. It just seems daft asking Aberdeen to travel that far on a day when everything shuts down early. Surely a trip to Dundee or Edinburgh or Perth is more sensible? Sure that could have been manipulated to happen.

For our mid week games I get the point everyone needs to travel and Ross County /Inverness do it every second week. But again a bit of sense would see them swapped around to be weekend games with some closer games moved to midweek.

Again it come back to the point that the list is manipulated already to get Derby games at new year etc. So not a huge jump to ensure midweek games are the closest possible for all clubs involved I don't think.

If the fixture list was completely random then fine and ye go with it but when it's not is seems daft to come out with certain fixtures. The clubs need to get together and sort it all fucking out but I won't old my breath.

• Like 1

Surprised that all the xmas eve fixtures are not at 1pm or something. Still a chance it could get moved to Friday night or sat lunchtime for tv. Only game likely to be picked is us or Accies v Celtic...maybe both.

Only two league visits from the ugly sisters? Delighted. I'm sure the lost income can partially be offset from reduced stewarding costs and people not staying away.

Oh and that statement? Fuckin cringe man

• Like 2

The only "close game" for Ross County is ICT. So you saying County should only play ICT midweek or only Saturday games only?

No, I said closer. Dingwall to Perth and Dundee are closer and quicker for their fans so it would make sense surely to do them midweek over somewhere 30 min or and hour further away.

In this day & age, of course it's all about the money. That's the nature of the game/business these days.

The league allow for postponements of games because it's all about the money.

So why don't they accommodate the clubs that need the money, rather than those that just want it?

No, I said closer. Dingwall to Perth and Dundee are closer and quicker for their fans so it would make sense surely to do them midweek over somewhere 30 min or and hour further away.

Make sense to who? Not really Ross County as far as i can see.

The teams who are closer would therefore bring the biggest supports. So how is it fair to shift it to a Wednesday night?

Even for a Saturday game, Motherwell would bring what, 150 fans? You can half that for a midweek game. So, Ross County miss out on 75 Motherwell fans.

Let's say Dundee, for example (as it's a wee bit closer) take 500 fans to Dingwall for a Saturday game, but only 100 for a midweek game. Ross County then miss out on 400 away fans.

Someone has to travel to these places on a Wednesday. You can't ask Ross County to move their stadium closer to the central belt to suit other team's fans. I would suggest scheduling midweek games for Ross County away is actually better for the likes of Motherwell, Partick, Hamilton & Killie. Simply because very few would travel anyway, regardless of what day it is.

• Like 1

Make sense to who? Not really Ross County as far as i can see.

The teams who are closer would therefore bring the biggest supports. So how is it fair to shift it to a Wednesday night?

Even for a Saturday game, Motherwell would bring what, 150 fans? You can half that for a midweek game. So, Ross County miss out on 75 Motherwell fans.

Let's say Dundee, for example (as it's a wee bit closer) take 500 fans to Dingwall for a Saturday game, but only 100 for a midweek game. Ross County then miss out on 400 away fans.

Someone has to travel to these places on a Wednesday. You can't ask Ross County to move their stadium closer to the central belt to suit other team's fans. I would suggest scheduling midweek games for Ross County away is actually better for the likes of Motherwell, Partick, Hamilton & Killie. Simply because very few would travel anyway, regardless of what day it is.

It's fairer for those who travel clearly. Thsts what I am talking about, not money or anything like that.

It's fairer for those who travel clearly. Thsts what I am talking about, not money or anything like that.

That's what i'm saying. Someone will be upset at a Wednesday night game. But why would, or should, the SPFL upset 400-500 Dundee fans (for example), over only an extra 75 Motherwell fans?

As clearly evident by various posts on this forum (not a dig at you, personally) you can't please everyone all the time. So really the task should be to minmise that upset and disruption. For the league as a whole, sending a Motherwell/Hamilton/Partick up north on a Wednesday night doest that, IMO. Despite the small band of fans who'll travel regardless being justifibaly upset.

Fuck Ross County, their owner bankrolls that team with questionable financial fair play criteria, so there's no reason he couldn't throw some money to the 2 pensioners and a dug that follows them with a 100 quid into a minibus every so often. Problem solved.

What we are talking about here is simple, if the league released fixtures that had a semblance of common sense about them, there would be no debate, in fact a lot of people would be saying hey out of all the crap we could have got dealt, that isn't so bad. But they didn't and here we are.

There would be no no fans divided down the middle as to thinking they were hard done to and no pedantic posts highlighting spelling mistakes to gain extra traction.

• Like 1

Would you have all the derbies midweek or just the Highland ones?

It's pathetic because it's small time thinking. Look at Newcastle's fixtures for next season if you want to see travelling, look at teams in Germany, France or Italy.

It's stupid to argue that we want to be a serious football nation with our clubs doing well in Europe then start greeting about an extra 2 hours travelling.

You can't even seriously argue it puts people off travelling because 95% plus of our support wouldn't go for 3pm on a Saturday anyway. If anything if you want to maximise attendance you should put the distant games midweek and the nearby games that we carry a good support to on the weekend.

Again, still not really explaining why it's pathetic.

Happy to go anywhere for a 3pm on Saturday, that's the norm. Sending a central belt team to Inverness/Dingwall or vice versa midweek when the midweek fixtures could be scheduled to accommodate as best as possible is nonsense. Inverness/Ross County vs Dundee/St. Johnstone is a much better option.

If you would like to tell me where you got a look of the Newcastle fixtures for next year two days ahead of anyone else in the world that would be great, thanks, and I will genuinely have a look at what travelling looks like.

And Germany, France, England, Spain and Italy all have far superior infrastructure than us and are all bigger countries than us, what point are you trying to make?

Saying it's not fair that we have to travel midweek is pathetic. Suggesting that Dundee or Aberdeen who would have journeys almost identical to ours should travel instead is pathetic. Playing in the top Scottish league yet complaining about having to go places in Scotland is pathetic.

The longest journey is three hours each way, that's nothing compared to the travelling English fans do. Scotland is also very easy to get around these days due to all the motorway upgrades across the country.

I think in this instance after Thistle made their statement the club were caught in we're damned if we do or damned if we don't scenario about making a statement.

There would have been a fair few on here stating that the Board weren't looking after the club etc for letting this go by with nothing said.

I would love to see an Accies supportes view on it but can't find an active forum for them......

Either way, we have been short changed with the way the fixtures have been divvied up with the Old Firm as for the travelling aspect, we do seem to get a lot of midweek visits up North and during the festive periods. This also works the other way as well. Recently we have had Aberdeen at us on the 2nd January, so it's not all one way traffic but comments were made when that fixture was announced as well, due to limited or no public transport.

Lets get an 18 team league up and running, everyone plays each other twice (no need for fancy splits then) and try to regionalise things a little better for festive period. After all it wasn't that long ago the New Years Day fixture was considered a Derby day.

Saying it's not fair that we have to travel midweek is pathetic. Suggesting that Dundee or Aberdeen who would have journeys almost identical to ours should travel instead is pathetic. Playing in the top Scottish league yet complaining about having to go places in Scotland is pathetic.

The longest journey is three hours each way, that's nothing compared to the travelling English fans do. Scotland is also very easy to get around these days due to all the motorway upgrades across the country.

Where did I say it wasn't fair? Where did I mention Aberdeen? Where did I complain about going places? All I'm calling for is a little common sense.

Motherwell to Dingwall is not a 3hr drive - it's 185miles, 102 of it on a road where you will be doing well to get above 50mph, and its predominantly not a dual carriageway/motorway.

And where are the Newcastle fixtures you were talking about?! Doubt they will get scheduled to play Brighton midweek.

And where are the Newcastle fixtures you were talking about?! Doubt they will get scheduled to play Brighton midweek.

A quick look at last season's fixtures shows they did have to go to West Ham on a Monday night... but other than that their midweek away games were all in the North or the Midlands.

Maybe not Brighton but they still have possible midweek trips to London, East Anglia and Wales.

Here to Dingwall is 3 hrs 24 mins according to Google which is basically the same as Newcastle to Manchester.

Calling for 'common sense' is usually a sign a person doesn't know what they are talking about.

Think SPFL totally stuffed this up as will be like this for ever more as fully expect Rangers to be in top flight going forward unless money problems come up again .When they started this league with the split they said every team will either get Rangers or Celtic at home twice before split their rules nobody else's but if not in league nothing you can do .Now they've returned should have been same IMO because like it or not we are all skint and an extra old firm game makes a difference so with 3 teams having 4 old firm games before split and 3 having 2 that makes a massive difference as 5000 fans paying 25pd is an extra £125000 so 3 teams get 500000 3 get 250000 that's about 4 players in IMO a season

• Like 1

Fuck Ross County, their owner bankrolls that team with questionable financial fair play criteria, so there's no reason he couldn't throw some money to the 2 pensioners and a dug that follows them with a 100 quid into a minibus every so often. Problem solved.

Fucking raging!

• Like 1