2016'17 Strips Launched Today

ropy

I do get that for the younger demographic, the appeal of looking just like the first team is important but on a personal level, I'm loving the fact that we can get hold of those shirts without sponsors.

None the less, I suspect the bairns will pick a favourite in time for our holidays.

Can't say I'm terribly keen on the collars of either of them (is the home Velcro or button down?), but otherwise ok. Neither, in my view as nice as last years...and not feeling the love for the amber shorts.

Looking forward to seeing the away strip next week.

Personally I'm just putting the sponsor free kits down to a late conclusion of a sponsorship deal rather than anything to do with the level investment.

You'll remember we had a similar scenario only a couple of years ago when we had Commsworld, I think it was as our sponsors, but the replicas went sponsor free initially.

My guess is that the manufacturers have just reached a cut off point where they have to get shipped sponsor or otherwise and the Motorpoint deal came after that cut off point.

• Like 1

Not quite sure why we have a broken hoop but it's better than a woosey advert band. Too much amber: white or claret shorts would have been much better, imo.

White strip totally anaemic: needs some C&A.

Difficult to judge quality but I would probably buy the hoop strip.

Reasonably happy and hope we have a team worthy of the jersey.

Looks like velcro to me. Buttons are classier, however, everything seems to be velcro these days.

if you zoom in on the mock up on the Motherwell Direct pre-order it looks like there's a button there but looking at the images released with Tait wearing the shirt it definitely looks like velcro.

attachicon.gifMFC Badge1.JPG

attachicon.gifMFC Badge.JPG

Third top stiching not the best!

Once again the bizarre finish on the club badge has taken away from an otherwise excellent retro looking design. They have added/stitched extra bold lines around the top and bottom of our badge. When it would have been better/easier to stick to its natural shape. I know I am a stickler for detail, however, please tell me that I am not the only one who thinks this is odd?

Left: Badge stitched on the kit. Right: Our official club badge.

rjfjlt.jpg

• Like 2

Badge looks wank. Plenty of discussion on here in the past, annoyed it's not been dealt with. Major oversight.

Don't get the 1991 fawning. It was a great year in our history but it now serves to remind me how long its been especially when a number of smaller teams have secured silverware in the intervening years.

Shame motorpoint couldn't be convinced to alter their colours the way cash convertors did. However it is their prerogative. Not a fan of the all amber strip, as been mentioned not enough claret. I recall Craig Brown liked all one colour strips as it has a visual effect of making the players look taller. Don't know about that.

I'd imagine if that was the case then the pay-off would be increased sales. Worth the experiment i'd say.

Maybe you don't know how the agreement with Provan works, essentially they get run the shop but have to provide xx,000 worth of clothing at list prices to the club every year. Provan keeps all profits up to another figure agreed with the club. If sales exceed this then the club gets a cut, but it generally needs something like a cup final to exceed this. It has been decided that the club prefers to outsource the hassle of running the shop and dealing with Macron on a day to day basis.

I'd be surprised based on this agreement if sponsor free shirt sales result in extra income from a lower sponsorship deal.

Personally I'm just putting the sponsor free kits down to a late conclusion of a sponsorship deal rather than anything to do with the level investment.

You'll remember we had a similar scenario only a couple of years ago when we had Commsworld, I think it was as our sponsors, but the replicas went sponsor free initially.

My guess is that the manufacturers have just reached a cut off point where they have to get shipped sponsor or otherwise and the Motorpoint deal came after that cut off point.

Agree with this Andy, with the shops twitter announcement it makes me think its maybe a lesser deal than we've been used to in the past. A sponsor must see some sort of benefit of having their logo on x thousand strips worn in the local community and further afield per year. I'm sure someone at Motorola must have been happy with the Tom Green exposure.

If this is the case, then its not ideal as we now have a head of Commercial and Sponsorship tasked with increasing revenues. A lesser deal with that resource in place would be far from ideal. However without the specifics of the deal and unlikely they will ever be shared then it's all conjecture and second guessing.

• Like 1

I know it's all about brand awareness etc., but I'd be amazed if putting a logo on Motherwell replica shirts really drives up anyone's sales. That must come from the advertising inside the ground, matchday programme blurbs, TV coverage, first team photos and the like.

Badge looks wank. Plenty of discussion on here in the past, annoyed it's not been dealt with. Major oversight.

I no longer buy tops (apart from the odd retro number), however, my design OCD would prevent me from buying an otherwise excellent shirt. I don't see why they can’t just trace the outline of the badge, without feeling the need to add/thicken lines that are not there on the original crest. Basically, they are causing problems that aren’t there in the first place.

However, I am pretty certain that I am in the minority and the kits will sell very well to the intended fanbase. :good:

Once again the bizarre finish on the club badge has taken away from an otherwise excellent retro looking design. They have added/stitched extra bold lines around the top and bottom of our badge. When it would have been better/easier to stick to its natural shape. I know I am a stickler for detail, however, please tell me that I am not the only one who thinks this is odd?

Left: Badge stitched on the kit. Right: Our official club badge.

rjfjlt.jpg

Don't usually get caught up on the badge debate but that's a shocker.

I was impressed with neither on first glance, yet I think the home is a belter without it. Not impressed with the third top whatsoever, I think the names printed on them looks absolutely ridiculous.

It's about time the whole 1991 love in stopped in my opinion. This year we have had three events, a DVD and now this commemorative strip. The only reason this is still happening is because we have won hee haw since. Did we mark the 50th anniversary of 1952 in 2002? No, because we've won something since. Will Hearts have a commemorative strip for their 1998 cup win in a few years time? No, because they've won it twice since. It's frankly embarassing, and a stunt I would normally enjoy slagging the likes of Celtic and Aberdeen fans for.

Maybe it means less to me as I wasn't old enough to appreciate us winning the cup in 91 (14 months old). I have the DVD and have watched and enjoyed it several times and I recognise that these guys are pivotal in our history, but even still it is total overkill.

If I'm in a minority with those views and the whole 1991 thing is bought into by a decent amount of supporters and the club have maximised this revenue stream due to public feeling then fair enough, but I for one can't look at that top without cringing.

The main thing that's came from the 25th anniversary of the cup win is the leverage its given Colin O'Neill to act like a rocket on facebook.

• Like 2

The badge can't be done accurately in it's current state. The thin and thick lines on the outside don't work in stitching.

It makes the badge look like this which is garbage

wellbadge.png

Looking back through kits on eBay, the last time the badge was done properly (properly being all correct details and not looking shit) is a Hummel kit from 1992

wellbadge2.JPG

Its been mentioned as well that the replica strips sold to fans will not have the sponsor on it, only the first team kits will have the sponsor on it.

Great idea should always have been the norm,lots of decent tops ruined over the years by shitey logos that nobody wants to advertise, hope they repeat it years to come.

Personally think they both look good and home one without sponsor is the first must buy shirt for me in a long time.

Only concern, surely any company sponsoring a team would want there branding on all replica shirts. As they are not, I wonder if they have negotiated a cut price deal? At a time when every penny is a prisoner the delay in the shirt arriving and sponsor delays causes some concern over how effective our commercial dept is.

Just on twitter that replica strips can have the sponsor printed if you want. So that solves any issues with kids (or anyone else) wanting it on there and others not. Good stuff.

(Prize for first person to moan that it will probably cost more...no info on that yet so save it.)