Trialist

livivoice

According to the rules as at January 2016.

Trialists 72.

Trialists are not eligible to Play for a Club in League Matches in the Premiership and in the Championship, League Cup Matches, Matches in the Challenge Cup, other than Matches in round one of that Competition, League Matches in any Season on or after 1 April in that Season and in Play-Off Matches and otherwise and subject to compliance with the Rules and Regulations Trialists are eligible to Play in Official Matches.

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootballleagueasat19january2016_1461332495.pdf

http://spfl.co.uk/spfl/

Edit: that's an incredibly shoddy piece of drafting eh?

I didn't know you could play trialists in league games at the end of the season and even the play-offs. I suppose there aren't many out of contract players going around at that stage of the season for it to make much difference.

It says you can't play trialists after the 1st April, it only really applies to the 1st and 2nd Divisions as you can't play a trialist at any time in the Premiership and in the Championship.

As has already been said it's very badly worded.

I see what you mean now. The words "other than" and the various commas really leave it open to interpretation - badly worded, as you say. A few brackets in there could have made all the difference.

Brackets? The author is being a smart arse, look at how clever I am. "Trialists can play in", then a bulleted list.

Brackets? The author is being a smart arse, look at how clever I am. "Trialists can play in", then a bulleted list.

This would be far too simple. Football rules and regulations appear to be written by lawyers in order that the authorities sound smarter than they are. Try reading the rules regarding offside and you start to wonder if it's even written by someone who has watched a game of football...