Motherwell V East Stirlingshire 26/7/16

ChrisMFCfan1886

East Stirling at home isn't at all similar to any of those fixtures.

Possibly the worst team I've ever seen us face at Fir Park and they found it easy because we were a shambles.

They found it easy? Mate we beat them 3-0...

Do folk understand it is still pre-season?

I would expect the team not to perform well at this stage and be happy to grind out the wins.

It's not preseason.

For a bit of context we got beat in the 2011 Scottish Cup final on 26/5 and hammered ICT in our next league match on 23/7. There is no excuse for being as poor as we were tonight.

First half, after a promising start, was very poor. We just looked sluggish and had no sharpness. No one getting into dangerous areas or making any runs into the box and far too many sideways or backwards passes. First touch was uniformly terrible.

Second half we improved a bit and got the pace of the game up and the goals came. Johnson's goal was really good. McDonald passed to Cadden when he should have just hit it in and Clay missed a sitter so if you just add those on to the three we got it should have been 5-0 and there were more chances besides.

Overall all, a flat game played in front of a small crowd and flat atmosphere. It's also clear we are set up to counter attack and if we are playing teams who are going to sit in we need to alter the team shape and tactics a bit from our standard shape.

Some people on here need a reality check. I took advantage of the cut prices and took 2 young wolves fans with me tonight (staying with me for a few weeks) and they said they enjoyed it.

Here's what they said.

A flat first half but and enjoyable 2nd half

Enjoyed the 2 chances where the ball got rattled at goal at least 5 times.

Thought marvin looked a good player.

Wondered why McDonald looked so grumpy and didn't even crack a smile when he scored

Thought we did just fine tonight. For the first time this season we tried to impose our passing game and I'm sure sharpness of touch and movement will come in time. Cadden, Johnson and Ainsworth impressed most.

Credit to East Stirlingshire for defending resolutely and posing some threat on the counter attack in first half.

Tricky one on Saturday but something to look forward too. Disappointed I can't make it.

Might sound petty but that idioti of a ref who I,ve never rated never played a single second of injury time both halves and as there was a bit of time wasting and 5 substitutions 2nd half should have played some at least and another goal may have made a difference come Saturday night

East Stirling at home isn't at all similar to any of those fixtures.

Possibly the worst team I've ever seen us face at Fir Park and they found it easy because we were a shambles.

You really need to find a new sport, team or both to follow. I bet you're a hoot at parties and family gatherings, you really are one moaning face b.....d

I totally disagree with people saying the 1st half was a terrible performance.

We could have been 2 up within about 5 mins and had a barrel load of chances and decent play in the first 45. It wasn't spectacular but it was very very comfortable.

Removing Thomas and replacing with Ainsworth made the difference and we became more urgent and direct.

They sat in and parked the bus as expected which made it difficult work at times.

- Defence looked entirely untroubled.

- Sitting midfielders of Las and Clay did fine. But I would like to have seen them bridging the gaps between defence and attack a lot more. At times there was no midfield at alleast which hurt us and left us having to make long pinpoint passes.

- Johnson, Cadden Ainsworth all did well and were busy.

- Thomas was poor. Needs regular games at a lower level for 6 months I think.

- McDonald did fine but could have been more involved.

Overall, should have been about 6 or 7. But 3 - 0 will do just fine.

• Like 3

I think Thonas has to go out on loan to get game time as going backwards IMO Cadden went to Albion rovers and look at him now but Thomas has done nothing when brought into 1st team and some people will say it's due to lack of game time so needs to be loaned out as not good enough currently to get it with us.

Agree @superward - thought tonight showed why Dom has only been a bit player, poor in all areas and offered very little.

Contrary to the usual bleating suspects, I felt that Clay had a very good debut, OK the opposition wasn't the strongest, but felt he showed composure on the ball and was actually capable of finding a team-mate with a pass, a concept our midfield has struggled to grasp over the last few seasons, particularly the 'housewives favourite'.

• Like 1