Scottish Premiership Kilmarnock V Motherwell Sat 6 Aug 15:00

Yabba's Turd

I had Motherwell at -1 and -2. Don't bet often in fact rarely and today reminded me why.

I just felt Killie were fragile and the truth is we could easily have won by 2 or 3 goals. But after going 2-0 up we just lost focus and It became a stop start game with subs and lengthy injuries.

Ainsworth was summed up today. Sublime chip and then misses a sitter and was distinctly average otherwise.

Ah WELL 3 points away from home on a plastic pitch - mustn't grumble

• Like 2

Finally there were something like 3500 Killie fans spread accross 2 half empty stands whilst nearly 1000 Well fans were forced to sit like sardines in half of the other. Bad show, dont know what it was supposed to achieve.

A pet hate of mine too. It looked absurd on TV. I can understand why a club may want to restrict away fans to a particular tier of a stand in the name of crowd control but some, like Killie, take it to ridiculous extremes. A common sense approach would be to open up a few more rows a or a limited part of a stand. I've been in some grounds when latecomers have to search for a vacant seat when there are large swathes of seats taped off.

As an aside I agree with Lobey Dosser that we really do need to bolster the central midfield. From posters' comments, I'm not sure Clay is the answer.

Just watched highlights there, Johnsons booking for celebrating is a disgrace. Jumped the mini advertising board and stops at front of stand to celebrate with the zero fans allocated seats there. Enough is enough with these petty rules. Basically he's been booked for daring to enjoy scoring a goal. Totally shite rule.

• Like 1

Just watched highlights there, Johnsons booking for celebrating is a disgrace. Jumped the mini advertising board and stops at front of stand to celebrate with the zero fans allocated seats there. Enough is enough with these petty rules. Basically he's been booked for daring to enjoy scoring a goal. Totally shite rule.

Rules, however nonsensical, are rules.

Booking McHugh for what though, attempting to win a header? Bizarre

McHugh looks the part, we fell out of it when he went off. The double whammy being the addition of Joe Chalmers. I've said it before, he has clear ability, but runs like a tortoise sprinting through treacle. Not compatible with our game.

Rules, however nonsensical, are rules.

Booking McHugh for what though, attempting to win a header? Bizarre

McHugh looks the part, we fell out of it when he went off. The double whammy being the addition of Joe Chalmers. I've said it before, he has clear ability, but runs like a tortoise sprinting through treacle. Not compatible with our game.

I must confess to being a bit disappointed that when McHugh got injured that McGhee didn't bring Allan Campbell on. Why have him on the bench if you're not going to use him?
  • Like 1

Im not Chalmers biggest fan and Im not sure that he has what it takes to have a future at the club, but I thought he did okay when he came on yesterday. He clearly looks more comfortable in midfield than at fullback. I suppose thats all relative to his previous poor performances.

Meant to add we lost control of the game when MgHugh went off.

McHugh went off in something like the 56th minute. We were in control of the match for a lot longer than that. Game didn't turn until about 10 - 15 minutes max from the end.

Killies goal came from a move where we didn't lay a glove on them from front to back, maybe McHugh would have put a foot in, that's hypothetical, but that's every players responsibility. Probably just a little bit of tiredness and complacency creeping in.

Killies goal came from a move where we didn't lay a glove on them from front to back, maybe McHugh would have put a foot in, that's hypothetical, but that's every players responsibility. Probably just a little bit of tiredness and complacency creeping in.

Agree with most of that but again much of that weakness comes down to central midfield continuously backpedalling and retreating. Hammell is caught trying to cover 2 men and then the scorer is left unmarked in the box after receiving a beautiful cross from a player who is also unmarked and has all the time in the world to pick his spot. Perhaps Killie had just a just a little more stamina than us yesterday. That said I think they got lucky in that they could have been on the wrong end of a real bleaching if we'd taken our chances.

During the Euros players were celebrating with the crowd and not getting booked, I had hoped they had relaxed that stupid rule. As long as its your own fans whats the problem? The authorities seem to want to remove all the joy from the game. (Admittedly our players can sometimes do that on their own!).

One of the positives for me yesterday was seeing Lionel get on the scoresheet with a cracking goal and the lift it clearly gave him. Trying to chuck in a wee gag or two during his post-match interview you can see he's buzzing.

He has plenty of deficiencies, perhaps most notably his leisurely approach to tracking back and defending, but a Lionel Ainsworth who is motivated, feels the love and is confident is the kind of player that can give us an edge over many top flight sides.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure it hasn't gone unnoticed that he's going into the final year of his contract and a cynic may suggest that a marked improvement on last season won't be co-incidental but whatever his drivers and motivations are it will certainly do us a power of good if we can get Lionel back up towards the double figures mark in assists and goals this season again.

• Like 3

Lee Clark talking about their penalty claim:

"I’ve seen the footage [of the penalty incident] a couple of times over and it could be a great opportunity for a penalty. What it certainly isn’t is a foul against Souley. It’s a double whammy because we think we should have a pen and also then there’s a foul given against my striker."

I know may be biased, but having watched it on Alba last night I think the ref was 100% correct. Souley fouled his man out side the box then before he fell over inside he had grabbed a handful of shirt.

EDIT: Then again, he might be talking about a different incident. That's what happens when I need to get up early for work on a Sunday.

Absolutely. I thought it was, surprisingly, a great decision by whoever gave it. Watching it back you see Coulibaly kick out at Heneghan's knee with his right boot while they're competing for the ball. Results in a tangle of legs and he goes down.

I've seen quite a lot of chat from Killie fans banging on about pens that the feel they should have had, honestly can't say I thought any of them were. Well, certainly not of the nailed on variety they seem to be claiming. Samson was perhaps a bit crude with his punched clearance but whilst he cleaned their boy out he made good contact with the ball.

The claim for a foul by Samson was hopeful. There was an incident near the end where I thought Heneghan was fouled and got one and they seemed unhappy. There was an incident right at the death which looked like a blatant foul to them that we got though that one looked yards outside the box from down the other end. Not sure which ones Clark was unhappy about...

I've had some banter off the Killie fans on Twitter with them saying we were dirty bastards theday also saying we played rugby theday. Got a good three hours of biting when they were told pot, kettle, black. They were dirty cheating bastards theday

I disagree totally.

As for injury time, that's what happens when several players feign injury to kill time.

I disagree totally.

As for injury time, that's what happens when several players feign injury to kill time.

Johnson was clearly targeted as a threat. We're all his injuries as portrayed. I honestly don't know. What I do know is he was given quite a few whacks during the game.

We should have had the game put to bed. Killie offered nothing until last 15 minutes. A long season beckons for your team.