Scottish League Cup - Second Round Celtic V Motherwell Wed 10 Aug 19:45

Yabba's Turd

Sometimes drubbings happen.

However, that was inevitable with our formation-tactics last night.

I've always backed McGhee 100%, but my frustration with him is his thought process of squaring up against superior teams.

He basically gave Celtic full possession and the freedom to attack at will.

In short we basically gave them the platform to showboat the talents they excel in!

McGhee outsmarted himself and the team again.

Look forward to the next encounter and an attacking line up ⚽️

That about sums it up for me. Celtic played well but we made it easy for them by sitting off and allowing them to showcase their skills. We showed no self belief or determination. At one point in the second half, Cadden, surrounded by 3 team mates in midfield broke forward but none of the others broke to support him...that summed up our attitude for me. Tactics and team selection did us no favours.

Most infuriating game I have attended in some time. Wasn't really the fact we got humped, more the performance and manner of the defeat. From the offset the players had clearly been instructed to stand off them and camp in our own half. This tactic has been employed by McGhee far too many times. We gave Celtic FAR too much respect and looked like we were merely following the opposition players around rather than actually attempting to win the ball. Regardless of Celtic having far superior players this is simply not good enough. We have employed these tactics multiple times and it simply doesn't work. The fact that this was a cup game made this even more irritating. Celtic nearly had a second string team out, Griffiths, Roberts, Toure & Tierney were all absent. This was by no means a brillant Celtic team, we however have made them look like superstars.

Most infuriating game I have attended in some time. Wasn't really the fact we got humped, more the performance and manner of the defeat. From the offset the players had clearly been instructed to stand off them and camp in our own half. This tactic has been employed by McGhee far too many times. We gave Celtic FAR too much respect and looked like we were merely following the opposition players around rather than actually attempting to win the ball. Regardless of Celtic having far superior players this is simply not good enough. We have employed these tactics multiple times and it simply doesn't work. The fact that this was a cup game made this even more irritating. Celtic nearly had a second string team out, Griffiths, Roberts, Toure & Tierney were all absent. This was by no means a brillant Celtic team, we however have made them look like superstars.

Overall agree with what you wrote but we also had Moult, McHugh and Blyth missing - small comfort I know.

We looked liked we had excepted our fate before the game even began.

100% agree. Even with 5 men strung across the park we played very narrowly and Celtic tore us apart largely unoccupied wings. Despite having 9, 10 or 11 men back at in or around our penalty box at times Celtic still found plenty of gaps to exploit. That made life very uncomfortable for the 2 centre backs and Samson.

I think we all knew that we were on a hiding for nothing with the game being played at Parkhead, but we thought that we would also make some money out of it, but judging by the crowd there, I don't think we would make any money on the game, of course no official crowds issued by Celtic, I wonder what the official attendance was?

I think we all knew that we were on a hiding for nothing with the game being played at Parkhead, but we thought that we would also make some money out of it, but judging by the crowd there, I don't think we would make any money on the game, of course no official crowds issued by Celtic, I wonder what the official attendance was?

I've seen a figure of 20,165 quoted. By my reckoning a very rough estimate would be £75K + £15K television money. So, apart from group games gate money/TV money and £30K sponsorship I reckon we made about £90K from the tie.

1st visit to the Mhankies in about 20 years, and it could be the same again if last night is going to be the norm - I don't like seeing my team being gubbed, but I sure as hell would accept it a lot better if we made a game of it.

The lad and me were talking after the game, and we couldn't think of any instance where one of our players got angry enough to go through someone - having said that, the said tackle may have been attempted but we were so far away from them, the ball and player would have been somewhere else on the park before our lad reached the intended tackle - I don't want to see us clattering in to stupid tackles, but for once it would been good to see us in their faces, the way they were whenever we got on the ball

Yes, Mcdonald looked really frustrated, but he fed off scraps and high punts for a large part of the night, who can blame him - for me, he badly needs Moult back to help him out.

Saturday awaits, and we may or may not win, but either way, we better see a massively improved performance, and tactical setup

MON RA DOSSERS