Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

There's a bit of a throwaway comment in there that his lack of success with us was more due to finances than football. What? Where are they getting that from?

Fairly dull on my part to start a post with "McGhee said..." but anyway McGhee said in a press conference after Laing had left on loan that it was as much about balancing the books as anything 4:25 here https://youtu.be/0Gukb8ECWiE?t=4m25s It's definitely an odd turn of phrase on their part as I don't really see any correlation between his relative success on the park with us and finances per se.

As far as I can see he's been loaned out because he was a fairly expendable player on a first team wage whose contract is up at the end of the season and was unlikely to be renewed with a club willing to take him. FWIW I quite liked Laing.

Given the signings we made, and some of McGhee's comments, I always assumed he just didn't rate Laing and was on the "to punt" list.

I always liked the guy, but I guess with Kennedy on the way back, we have alternatives. Shame if he feels poorly treated, though.

He'll be away permanently in January if he doesn't kick his heels about a pay off. Either that or his loan will get extended till his contract expires. Shame that, I thought he was a player of decent potential at first, but he's definitely never fulfilled it.

When he got red carded within 10 minutes of coming on in his debut .... that kinda potential? ;)

Anyone keeping tabs on Shaun/Sean Hutchi(e)nson(s)*?

(* delete as required)

Laing wasn't worth a place in the team at a time when we are letting goals in left, right and centre.

If that's not a failure I don't know what is. Truth is Heneghan, Kennedy and Hall all showed much more than Laing who was on the end of quite a few public humiliations.

Therefore I say "See you later chump."

Given the signings we made, and some of McGhee's comments, I always assumed he just didn't rate Laing and was on the "to punt" list.

I always liked the guy, but I guess with Kennedy on the way back, we have alternatives. Shame if he feels poorly treated, though.

Yeah that's my thoughts more or less.

If we have not been keeping tabs on him at all and have had no dialogue then it's pretty off I think. One, just out of decency. But two, he could be turning in good performances and we wouldn't even know.

I read a couple of tweets from Alan Burrows earlier today dismissing his claim that the club aren't aware of how he's doing with Notts County that they have their Chief Scout observing and analyse various pieces of data on his displays.

I must admit though I've been struggling to join in the sudden heart-felt concern for Louis Lang's welfare some have been expressing quite vocally over the last 24 hours. Where has all this interest and concern been since he moved I wonder?

It seems a fairly clear hedge betting strategy on his part. He likely knows his days are numbered at Motherwell and that he'll most likely move on in January. Even if he has aspirations above Notts County he knows it will do no harm in talking the place up in case his options become limited. You may remember the likes of Ruddy and Jutkiewicz for example saying similarly nice things about coming back to Motherwell when there was little or no chance of them ever coming back.

I read a couple of tweets from Alan Burrows earlier today dismissing his claim that the club aren't aware of how he's doing with Notts County that they have their Chief Scout observing and analyse various pieces of data on his displays.

I must admit though I've been struggling to join in the sudden heart-felt concern for Louis Lang's welfare some have been expressing quite vocally over the last 24 hours. Where has all this interest and concern been since he moved I wonder?

It seems a fairly clear hedge betting strategy on his part. He likely knows his days are numbered at Motherwell and that he'll most likely move on in January. Even if he has aspirations above Notts County he knows it will do no harm in talking the place up in case his options become limited. You may remember the likes of Ruddy and Jutkiewicz for example saying similarly nice things about coming back to Motherwell when there was little or no chance of them ever coming back.

Good we are keeping track of what he is doing then as Alan is saying then. For me that's probably the most important bit of it.

I actually forgot all about him until I came across that story!

For once good to read the club's side of the story. This hasn't always happened in the past and fans, perhaps understandably, swallow the player's comments or those of his agent hook line and sinker. .

• Like 1

Laing was also a sellable asset. Young, physically imposing and I'm sure, with the right coaching and guidance, will be a reasonable standard of player.

He may have been able to improve but I really don't think he had enough to make him a sellable asset. I don't think we'll see him play for us again but good luck to him, I hope he doeswwell in his career. At least he gave us that win at Accies!

For once good to read the club's side of the story. This hasn't always happened in the past and fans, perhaps understandably, swallow the player's comments or those of his agent hook line and sinker. .

so, i don't particulary have any sudden heart felt concern for Laing,

but lets be clear, Laings quotes havn't been refuted in any way...

Burrows responses were that the club are monitoring him, Laing was quoted stating he was gettting, no feedback.

two quite different factors.

sending a player out on development loan - and effectively casting him aside would be a poor reflection on squad/player management.

If that is the case.

It's a shame if Laing feels we are treating him poorly, as one thing we have done well at over recent years is looking after players. Laing spoke really highly of the way he was treated by the club during his loan and was one of the reasons he cited for joining us permanently.

It does seem out of character for our club, though.