Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

I went to watch Brentford vs Rotherham last weekend and the quality of football from a mid table and a bottom Championship side was absolutely class. There was a guy, Woods, for Brentford who was pinging inch perfect Willy World Cup balls every few seconds. More importantly, every one of them was built like a tank, proper athletes.

I never said we were non league level. What I did say was Inverness and Hamilton are conference equivalent standard.

I was merely pointing out that the majority of our league get cast offs from league one and below (including Aberdeen and rangers). Therefore it's not an unreasonable assumption that our league, celric apart, would struggle with Sheffield Utd in league one.

Let's not kid ourselves on - the standard of football in Scotland is as low as I can remember it. One things for sure, it's nowhere near the bottom half of the championship as another poster suggests.

I don't disagree that the quality of football in Scotland is perhaps even at an all time low but Inverness and Accies are not non league equivalent standard.

I don't necessarily disagree with your Sheffield Utd point either but by the same respect, I don't imagine Sheffield Utd will struggle in the championship next season either. The gap is not as wide as you think.

Also, as we have learned to our cost, there is a considerable difference between cast off and out of contract.

To be honest we cant compare ourselves to England, financially they are in a different world to scottish football, most championship clubs probably pay more in wages than everyone in our league bar Celtic. We will never have the financial resources, so league 1 with some teams, league 2 and conference is where we will shop nowadays for players from England.

Was at Bradford City v MK Dons last week and thoroughly enjoyed it ... great to see so many claret and amber scarves. Mate and I both reckoned it was Spl equivalent but 17000 crowd and atmospheric ground under lights gave it a real sense of occassion even with less than 100 away fans. McCall has them playing good football

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Was at Bradford City v MK Dons last week and thoroughly enjoyed it ... great to see so many claret and amber scarves. Mate and I both reckoned it was Spl equivalent but 17000 crowd and atmospheric ground under lights gave it a real sense of occassion even with less than 100 away fans. McCall has them playing good football

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Biggest crowd I saw at Fir Park was v St Mirren, 1977.........26,000.

Now 6,000 is cause for celebration.

2 games against the Old Firm stick out - early 70's, both had 30K attendances

Rangers 2-2 (Colin Stein scored late equaliser - lost replay 4-2)

Celtic 3-2 (0-2 comeback Wullie P game)

Like Daver said games at that time against the "evil twins" weren't a pleasant experience.

• Like 1

2 games against the Old Firm stick out - early 70's, both had 30K attendances

Rangers 2-2 (Colin Stein scored late equaliser - lost replay 4-2)

Celtic 3-2 (0-2 comeback Wullie P game)

Like Daver said games at that time against the "evil twins" weren't a pleasant experience.

Rangers 28,500

Celtic 25,000

The St Mirren cup game game is listed as 26,709 but some reported it as around 33,000 and I would be tempted to agree having been at all three games. That's the one it was almost impossible to even move at.

• Like 1

Nice to see Forbes doing well. Never any doubt he had talent, the question marks were always around the physicality and stamina the modern game requires.

Bizarre- to me at least- that he's 28 now and left us 5 years ago. Still feels like he's a young prospect.
  • Like 1

Bizarre- to me at least- that he's 28 now and left us 5 years ago. Still feels like he's a young prospect.

Your're just getting old. Don't sweat it. I still think of Andy Walker as being young, and he's 51 and left us in 1987;

• Like 3

Two big games coming up for AFC Fylde, my very local team just fifteen minutes walk from the house (or more if I call in at the four pubs en route).

First up on Saturday is a huge game against Kidderminster Harriers which could kill off Kiddy's title hopes and cement Fylde's. A chance for me to see if Zaine Francis-Angol has turned into a footballer yet!

Then on Tuesday another biggie when the Messiah/naughty boy Jim Gannon brings Stockport to Mill Farm.