Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Aye, he's one of those players whose on-field attitude is almost a polar opposite of his off-field persona.

No questioning his commitment to his employers, though. Spot on with his comments about his Celtic team mates that should have taken a good look at themselves for blowing the title, too.

I did hear from a reliable source (I know, I know - but I trust this one) that his wife didn't fancy moving to Australia in January. Be interesting to see if that's where he ends up.

Very interesting interview from Skippy. For my generation he is probably one of the better players we have had in terms of ability and service to the club. As much as I like him I can see how he can rub people up the wrong way. Quite an arrogant guy but his confidence in his own ability is perhaps what a lot of Scottish guys are lacking. Bit of a different mindset. I admire his honesty here however and found it interesting him commenting on his relationship with Magoo / Robbo

Alan McCormack moves from Brentford to Luton

League Two side Luton Town have agreed to sign midfielder Alan McCormack on a free transfer from Brentford.

The 33-year-old Irishman spent four years at Griffin Park, making 104 appearances and helping the Bees gain promotion to the Championship in 2014.

He has previously played for Swindon and Southend and will officially join Nathan Jones' side on 1 July.

"He is the type of player we have been looking for, we are really pleased to have him," Jones told the club website.

Both were early heroes of mine - was devastated when Heron left to join Dumbarton. Was even more devastated when Watson became the 'scum' manager.

That Spurs game was an absolute classic, my dad had to park beyond the Calder Glen and queues stretching for what seemed miles at the turnstyles. Oh for a return to those day's.

Bobby Watson was my first Motherwell hero. There have been others in the ensuing forty odd years, but not many to match him. Perhaps Joe Wark and Willie Pettigrew, but that would be about it. I realise that this has a lot to do with being at an impressionable age and the circumstances of the time, but I can't help but wonder who the young 'well fans of today will look to for their inspiration. We have been lucky in recent years to have players like Lasley and Hammell who have been magnificent servants to the club,but it strikes me that their like will become rarer as the game becomes more and more about money and the merry go round of players coming and going increases. I guess I have been lucky, that my father was a Motherwell fan all his life and took me to games as a youngster, and that I have seen the players that I have seen.a d as we get older, I wonder if it is the case that every supporter sees things change and hankers for the good old day? As my Dad used to say" Watson is a good player, but you should have seen Charlie Aitken." Reminiscing time over.

Thanks Dad.

• Like 3

Bobby Watson was my first Motherwell hero. There have been others in the ensuing forty odd years, but not many to match him. Perhaps Joe Wark and Willie Pettigrew, but that would be about it. I realise that this has a lot to do with being at an impressionable age and the circumstances of the time, but I can't help but wonder who the young 'well fans of today will look to for their inspiration. We have been lucky in recent years to have players like Lasley and Hammell who have been magnificent servants to the club,but it strikes me that their like will become rarer as the game becomes more and more about money and the merry go round of players coming and going increases. I guess I have been lucky, that my father was a Motherwell fan all his life and took me to games as a youngster, and that I have seen the players that I have seen.a d as we get older, I wonder if it is the case that every supporter sees things change and hankers for the good old day? As my Dad used to say" Watson is a good player, but you should have seen Charlie Aitken." Reminiscing time over.

Thanks Dad.

Great Post !!

I'm obviously from the same era as you, and to me, Pettigrew, Wark and Vic Davidson were the heroes in my young eyes. Again, thanks Dad for dragging me along, cause I really wanted to go and see Aberdeen LOL (Probably because I had a football card with Zoltan Varga on it !), but then again, I was 10 or 11 at the time.

On holiday in Benidorm & just ran into Lionel Answorth & Marvin Johnston. Couldn't ask for a nicer guy than Answorth. Night before he left he came and said he'd be away early next day. He was happy to have pics taken but it was strange to see ex Motherwell player in Benidorm!

• Like 1