Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

It's signings like Andy Rose I don't understand.

Everything about his pedigree and write up suggested he wouldn't walk straight into our first 11. We'd be no worse off giving his minutes to Turnbull or Campbell and would help develop them in the process.

The most successful Motherwell squads of recent years have been set up that way. We were fortunate it was rare that guys like Carswell and Hetherington had to cover Nicky Law etc but still.

It will be really disappointing if Chris Caden is the only output of a cup winning youth team.

Completely agree mate

Everything about his pedigree and write up suggested he wouldn't walk straight into our first 11. We'd be no worse off giving his minutes to Turnbull or Campbell and would help develop them in the process.

I agree with that, we seem to have a habit recently of signing players we don't need or at worst are no better than what we already have.

I doubt any manager signs a player thinking "well he's not any better than what we have". It's far too early to tell if any of our new faces are going to contribute, but it's inevitable some of them won't. Every manager has their own style, and their own preferences, and sign players they think will make the team successful.

However, we only have a finite amount of budget and sometimes "good enough" will have to do; especially if it's just for cover.

The most successful Motherwell squads of recent years have been set up that way. We were fortunate it was rare that guys like Carswell and Hetherington had to cover Nicky Law etc but still.

It will be really disappointing if Chris Caden is the only output of a cup winning youth team.

Spot on. Andy Rose may come good, despite his reported limitations, but given our budget constraints he looks like a completely unnecessary signing. As you suggest, all our recent success came with a small squad and the quantity over quality route is one that surprises me.

We'll see how things transpire but at present, I find our philosophy to flood the squad with English unknowns really dispiriting, particularly when our highly rated youngsters have barely had a sniff preseason.

If Robinson wins week in week out then all will be forgotten but I'm slightly envious of the approach Mcculloch is taking at Kilmarnock to re-establish a Scottish identity at the club and give youth a chance.

We got dead lucky avoiding injuries and suspensions when we had success with a small squad, and that philosophy cost us dear in subsequent campaigns. First there was the injury crisis that ended with bringing in basically emergency signings under Baraclough. Then last season where Cadden and McHugh had to play in defence and we struggled to fill the bench.

Robinson has done a decent job making the team younger though. Tanner 22, Kipre 20, Bigi 23, Griffiths 21, Dunne 24, and Heneghan's still only 23. Of course, time will tell if any of our U20s make the grade this year, but Hastie, MacLean, McMillan (and maybe Newall) could reduce the average age even further.

No doubt we'll get a better idea of the relative strengths and weaknesses of our team and Killie's when we start playing for real.

Nice to see them do well against the Championship, League One and League Two teams.

Let's not forget, McHugh and Moore (and to a lesser extent Thomas) thrived at that level when we loaned them out.

Like ourselves, the real test will be when the proper games start.

Would be delighted, however, if Thomas is the next multi-million pound SPFL transfer target. I assume Erwin's sell-ons have expired, so he's OK to fail.

If Scott McDonald likes to moan and complain about team mates that aren't up to his standard, then on the evidence of the Dundee derby, he'll have plenty to moan about.

Mind you, Dundee look don't look great either...

Thought Dundee looked much better going forward in the second half. Allan is a good player and the guy Wolters who came on looked decent. However, with that finishing a draw does that means we're the only Premiership team with a 100% record?

Thought Dundee looked much better going forward in the second half. Allan is a good player and the guy Wolters who came on looked decent. However, with that finishing a draw does that means we're the only Premiership team with a 100% record?

Dundee looked much better 2nd half. Unfortunate Utd won the shoot out for the seeding. Dundee would be a tougher game.

Fine pen from Skippy to clinch it.

It was. The rest of his performance was typical early season - offside and kicking the defenders because he's a yard off the pace.

Still think he'll be a good signing for them, though.

If that does happen then a bigger question will be the inability of anyone at Fir Park to repeatedly recognise it.

He had a few shots, but didn't make it. Then he refused to go out on loan. And he failed to impress in multiple appearances in the first team.

I wanted him to succeed, but sometimes it doesn't work out. That's true at many levels. Just look at Torres for Chelsea, for example.

The next best case is we get a nice cut from a sell-on clause.

Onwards and upwards.