Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Louis Laing gifted a goal to the opposition with a pass across his own 18 yard box for Hartlepool at the weekend. They've not had a good start to life in 4th tier after dropping down from league 2. Along with Clay, you also have ZFA and K. Kennedy playing at that level.

Crewe considering offering Lucas a contract after speaking to a lad at Motherwell he knows, recommended him.

Artell added: “He's been in all last week. I get thrown something like three to 10 players at me every day. Lee has good pedigree, he came up at Swansea and has been at Motherwell.

"I spoke to a lad at Motherwell who I know, he rates him highly. So I said let's have a look at him.

Looking at Artell's playing career, he was at Wrexham in 2013 so not much of a stretch to guess who the lad may be....... Maybe Louis seen something we didn't get to see.

[quote name="CoF" post="502434" timestamp="150281514

We don't seem quite as savvy in that market yet - either that or we're getting the market value but fans tend to see our own boys through claret and amber tinted spectacles.

Yeh, you get the odd "how the fuck did they manage to get that much" moment but the over all evidence most definitely suggests the latter.

It's not sustainable when the Chairman pockets a large chunk of the transfer fees.

That's right.

The model everybody kept saying we should follow was:

Borrow money to pump into the club to pay for extra long contracts at above market rate salaries

Restructure your debt with investor "fans" that offer better terms

Sell off what valuable players you have

Pay back the "fans" big chunks of transfer fees as interest

Get relegated

Post another loss for the year.

It's not sustainable when the Chairman pockets a large chunk of the transfer fees.

Not as large as you might think. It was widely reported a few years ago that some investors suddenly appeared and gifted United about £6m out of the goodness of their hearts to wipe out their debt. Details however were very vague. It turned out that the investors did not simply gift the 6 million after all but in return for their cash injection were given a large percentage of the transfer income from the sale of players to Celtic.

• Like 1

Is that not a little similar to our position but on a lesser and possibly friendly scale?

Les funds us to avoid relegation and we re paying him back from up and coming transfer fees?

It's somewhat similar, but as you say, on much friendlier and more transparent terms, and without the crippling debt. And we didn't need a fire sale.

And we own the club.

Which is nice.

Is that not a little similar to our position but on a lesser and possibly friendly scale?

Les funds us to avoid relegation and we re paying him back from up and coming transfer fees?

Take into account that through the double your money scheme, LH is putting some of the money back into the club.

I liked Lucas as a player. Injuries and inconsistency made him a pretty useless signing for us but I reckon he's got the quality to make it at this level or L1/L2 in England.

I tend to agree. In flashes Lucas looked like there was genuine technical ability there. Were he ever to actually stay fit for any length of time, pretty sure he could do a good job at the levels you mentioned.

Question would be is whether he is always going to be so injury prone..?

Thompson was taking a cut of the transfer fees (and giving McNamara the same deal). It wasn't reducing their debt it was simply commission for them.

So they ended up with less money to bring in replacements and a poisoned dressing room.

More importantly than less money to bring in replacements, they absolutely fucked their money away on heavy shite footballers.

Telfer and Muirhead were, relatively, expensive busts for them, Anier, Donaldson, Durnan, Bodul and McKay were expensive and all shite, and that's before the KLF inspired money burn when it looked like they might go down...

In reality, the 'youth model' was abandoned pretty much as Armstrong and Gauld were sold. There's barely a youth player in their squad now.

Not as large as you might think. It was widely reported a few years ago that some investors suddenly appeared and gifted United about £6m out of the goodness of their hearts to wipe out their debt. Details however were very vague. It turned out that the investors did not simply gift the 6 million after all but in return for their cash injection were given a large percentage of the transfer income from the sale of players to Celtic.

That was never the case. Utd had a large bank debt and were paying serious interest. These guys arrived and wiped the clubs bank debt by giving interest free loans which were to be paid back in transfer fees (not unlike our current model,no?) This was on top of Thompson doing the same with his debt and the Manager being on commission to sell!

They received near £8m but lost Robertson, Ciftci, Armstrong,Gauld,GMS in 1 swoop and after paying back the Investors and Thompson & McNamara taking their cuts, there was fuck all left to reinvest. Hense the freefall since!

Edit : I see Im about a day behind on the replies, Internet on Uist for you!

Saw a nice bit of skill from Don Thomas nutmegging Celtic defender but otherwise anonymous from part of game I watched today. Also not sure what all the admiration for McCulloch is all about. Never liked his attitude as a player for us and hope he drags Killie into championship before the split.