Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Its a total downer if Murphy goes to Rangers. Always thought he had his head screwed on and seemed a very likable person so to see him go to that vile circus is very very disappointing.

As I understand it, he's been fairly keen to return to his roots in Scotland with a view to having his family settled ahead of considerations like schooling etc.

If that's his wish then he's limited on where a player of talents and earning ability can go.

I believe even whilst in England he had acquiring property so whilst his choice of destination does leave you a little sad from what I know he is every inch the sensible heid screwed on type you believed.

• Like 1

He has said he's a Rangers supporter according to the BBC website so I can see although I assume he's taken a fair cut in wages unless they're paying silly money, which I wouldn't rule out. Of course he may be willing to accept less money to be nearer to family.

He has said he's a Rangers supporter according to the BBC website so I can see although I assume he's taken a fair cut in wages unless they're paying silly money, which I wouldn't rule out. Of course he may be willing to accept less money to be nearer to family.

He must be giving them the old "Boyhood Heroes" discount. I'd still be insisting on cash up front if I was Brighton (or Murphy) right enough.

• Like 1

Jamie Murphy is one of the good guys. Worked his socks off whilst at FP and always put in a shift.

Earned a big move without instigating one and spoke highly of our club when he left.

Best wishes to him and I'd like to think he will get a good reception when he returns to play us.

Basically agree with that. I wont acknowledge him in a Rangers shirt.

Quite sad to hear Hammell retiring.

Genuinely think he doesn't get the plaudits he deserves. An absolutely stellar servant to the club during some of our most successful periods in recent times and one of my favourite players during my time. A solid pro, that has shown fantastic loyalty to our little club.

Best of luck with the new gig - think its something he will really excel in.

Based on what?

The fact he has his pro license, he came through the academy himself, has been with the club for the best part of 20years, has been involved with coaching the clubs youth teams for the past 5 years and has often been singled out by teammates and younger players for helping them. Not to mention the guy is the definition of professionalism.

Plus, clearly unlike yourself, I tend to be positive about change at our club.

• Like 3

Based on what?

Indeed, you never know which players will make the transition well. But it sounds like it's something he's been keen to do for quite a while, so at least he has that going for him. (Cf. Faddy, the most unlikely assistant manager the club will likely have for a while.)

It's sad that Stevie's retiring but it's probably the right move. He was outstanding against Aberdeen in the cup so he definitely contributed at least that this season. None of us will ever see another player make 500+ appearances for the club, he is an all time great.

21 year old Cadden is our longest serving player now.

• Like 3

It's sad that Stevie's retiring but it's probably the right move. He was outstanding against Aberdeen in the cup so he definitely contributed at least that this season. None of us will ever see another player make 600+ appearances for the club, he is an all time great.

21 year old Cadden is our longest serving player now.

Very, very well said. It's bizarre to think how high the percentage of Motherwell fans will be, who have never known us to have a long-term regular left-back that wasn't Stevie Hammell. Unbelievable service and the best first touch i've ever seen.

• Like 1

All the best hammy in your new role . Im sure youll be as successful doing this role as you had with your playing career . Be at next two home games to give u a proper send off . Thanks for all the memories . A proper Well player .

PS one last corner with the bugle playing would be a nice way to go out .

• Like 1

Really sad to see him retire but its no great surprise.

One of the most technically gifted players we have produced and an utterly fantastic servant to the club. Such a shame his last few years were dogged by injury after being one of the first names on the team sheet week in week out for over a decade.

Wish him all the best in his new role, delighted he is staying with the club. Hopefully he can have better luck than his predecessors in identifying a Stevie Hammell replacement.

• Like 1