Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Grew up with Stevie Hammell in the team, he has been an ever present apart from his brief hiatus down south. With the ball at his feet he was better than most defenders at this level. Legit club legend.

I'm really happy with the policy of promoting within. I hope we continue to do this. It gives us an identity as a club and keeps a good ethos.

I remember sitting with my dad in the Cooper for our one and only time and seeing a very young Stevie Hamill for the very first time. It was the auld yins last visit to Fir Park.

Reminiscing about Cooper, he turned to me and said that blonde boy is quality. Imagine having him in the same team as Coop, he made a donkey like Boyd look like a player, imagine what he couldve done wi some real talent

• Like 2

How many appearances did he have? As usual, most sources are just showing league stats.

Official site says 582 and post war record holder. Helluva lot of games!

Well Legend,

Respected,

Training youth teams in the Academy already,

Uefa A, Elite Youth, Pro licences done and dusted

Great appointment

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/gavin-gunning-joins-forest-green-1012518.amp

And in contrast, the basket case Gavin Gunning has another former club to add to his list.

Gavin Gunning is set to face Port Vale on Saturday after signing for their League Two rivals Forest Green Rovers on a free transfer.

Vale boss Neil Aspin is disappointed to lose Gunning, who was a regular in his Vale side before the defenders half-season contract ran out at the end of December.

He was offered a deal by Vale but has instead accepted the terms offered by their League Two rivals.

Just listened to Hammell's interview, it was interesting that given Leitch spent his Motherwell career passing the ball to Stevie that figuratively that's what has happened again with his recommendation.

Hammell is the first player that I can say I have watched his whole career, I was at Aberdeen for his debut and I have a natural affinity with our left backs as that was my position at Muirhouse P.S. all those years ago. There have been a few good ones and Stevie is up there with the best.

My brother in law works for the pfa in england, actually puts senior players through their coaching qualifications and is an ex pro himself. He has only been at 1 Motherwell game, some years ago away to Thistle. He picked out Stevie Hammell as far and away the best player on the park.

I'll trust his judgement on the matter!

If Stevie was a world beater he wouldn't have been 18 years or so with us but he has been a terrific consistent player for us with a great professional attitude and by all accounts great in the dressing room and helping others.

Great interview on you tube and he has quietly been getting his qualifications and planning for this unlike for example McGhee pulling Faddy out a hat.

Best of luck Stevie

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Good question cos when I am picking my Motherwell XI it's the toughest choice I have to make.

I was going through this in my head Keeper easy Randolph, defender Hammell, Midfield O'Donnell and so on but once I got to strikers I haven't a clue. Coyne,McFadden,Moult,Higdon,Arnott,cooper,St John and I could still go on

I was going through this in my head Keeper easy Randolph, defender Hammell, Midfield O'Donnell and so on but once I got to strikers I haven't a clue. Coyne,McFadden,Moult,Higdon,Arnott,cooper,St John and I could still go on

Coyne is a lock. Second striker is probably the second most difficult choice to make. Used to go for Arnott because he had an very good partnership with Coyne. But now I tend to go towards Scott McDonald who was a similar player but a better goalscorer in his prime. I shoehorn McFadden in at right wing. We'll score more than we concede!

Coyne is a lock. Second striker is probably the second most difficult choice to make. Used to go for Arnott because he had an very good partnership with Coyne. But now I tend to go towards Scott McDonald who was a similar player but a better goalscorer in his prime. I shoehorn McFadden in at right wing. We'll score more than we concede!

Coyne was briliant. But it would still have to be a Pettigrew / Graham strike force for me.

• Like 3

Cooper on the left and Faddy on the right. Christ that would be terrifying.