Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Tenuous link but Lee Erwin assaulter Bilel Moshni is back in Scotland sporting the tangerine of Dundee Utd.

Dundee United have signed former Rangers defender Bilel Mohsni until the end of the season.

The Tunisia international, 30, was a free agent and has trained with Csaba Laszlo's squad for three weeks while awaiting international clearance.

With that now granted, he is set to be in United's squad for Saturday's Championship visit of Dunfermline Athletic.

"I am delighted to be back in Scottish football," Mohsni said.

"I played under [United chief scout] Paul Sturrock down south and he was always talking about this club to me. I know all about Dundee United.

"Once the manager made the call, I knew I wanted to come to Tannadice and I want to help United win as many games as possible and achieve our goal of promotion."

French-born Mohsni, who has won four caps for his country, made 44 appearances at Ibrox between 2013 and 2015.

He was famously involved in a post-match clash with Motherwell's Lee Erwin, after Rangers had lost the 2014-15 Premiership relegation play-off at Fir Park.

Mohsni most recently played for Tunisian top-flight side Etoile Sportive du Sahel, having also represented French outfit Angers since leaving Scotland.

United sit third in the Championship table following Tuesday's 3-2 home defeat by Queen of the South, seven points behind second-placed Livingston, and 19 shy of league leaders St Mirren.

However, Laszlo's men have two games in hand on both promotion rivals, and three on fourth-placed Morton, who lie a point behind them.

"Bilel is someone who can add aggression to our team," the United boss said.

"He will win headers in both boxes. It has been frustrating having to wait for clearance but I am happy it is now all clear."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43494518

4 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

How much money are United throwing at this to try and get promoted..?

Given they recently posted a £1 million loss (and a £1.5 million loss the previous year) and the fact they made £2.2 million reduction in costs, I'm not sure they have much money to spare. Although I suppose it's possible they see spending a few extra quid as a calculated risk.

Their 2 years' worth of relegation parachute payments will be drying up too, so that will put another hole in their budget if they fail to get promoted. And from what I have seen of them this season, they don't look good enough to make the play-off final.

4 minutes ago, daver said:

How do bans work? Would he have served his with whoever he went to after Rangers or does it kick in on his return?

The ban applied to any football team under uefa authority, he served it when he signed for Angers in France, missed nearly 3 months of the season

5 minutes ago, daver said:

How do bans work? Would he have served his with whoever he went to after Rangers or does it kick in on his return?

That's an interesting question. When he moved to France, Sky Sports reported this:

It is unknown if the French Football Federation will uphold Mohsni’s suspension or whether they will allow the 28-year-old to play immediately.

Although many national associations honour disciplinary punishments issued in other countries, there is no obligation to adhere to them.

1 hour ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Craig Moore nets a late winner for Ayr, 25th of season.

I had hopes for Moore (especially when he and Erwin were banging in goals in  the U20s), but Championship/League One seems to be where he'll have his career.

9 minutes ago, Pepper said:

Moult subbed at half time for Preston. Canny  be good. 

It's no good for anyone in that team. They are on a slide right now. 4 L and 1 W in their last 5.  Not exactly play-off form.

15 minutes ago, weeyin said:

It's no good for anyone in that team. They are on a slide right now. 4 L and 1 W in their last 5.  Not exactly play-off form.

19 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Back to us on loan. Him and Main up front - gee whizz 

I heard from a footballer with links to Rangers  that he will be Ibrox bound in the summer. Now that would be a kick in the balls.