Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

1 minute ago, underboyleheating said:

I heard from a footballer with links to Rangers  that he will be Ibrox bound in the summer. Now that would be a kick in the balls.

Was it not the case that his Mrs wanted to be nearer home? Hopefully that will keep him south of the border.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

I heard from a footballer with links to Rangers  that he will be Ibrox bound in the summer. Now that would be a kick in the balls.

I'm still convinced there's going to be a new manager at Ibrox in the summer. That will mean new players and new ideas. If that happens I'd be mildly surprised to see Murphy still there, never mind Moult.

Family reasons were definitely quoted when he headed down south, but money can often change that! He certainly hasn't had the best of time with Preston so far, but that is due in a large part to their big dip in form. 

34 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I'm still convinced there's going to be a new manager at Ibrox in the summer. That will mean new players and new ideas. If that happens I'd be mildly surprised to see Murphy still there, never mind Moult.

Family reasons were definitely quoted when he headed down south, but money can often change that! He certainly hasn't had the best of time with Preston so far, but that is due in a large part to their big dip in form. 

Yes Preston's dip in form may be a factor but I think that the main problem is that Moult is not up to the challenge, it was a big step up and so far he has not shown any evidence he is up to it. I see him being sent out on loan next season league 1 or 2 beckons or maybe Ibrox if the rumours are true :ph34r:

Yes Preston's dip in form may be a factor but I think that the main problem is that Moult is not up to the challenge, it was a big step up and so far he has not shown any evidence he is up to it. I see him being sent out on loan next season league 1 or 2 beckons or maybe Ibrox if the rumours are true 
I watched 2nd half of their game v Derby and tbh when he came on he looked a bit lost and out of sorts. However any player stepping up a level can take time to adjust especially when his team is off form.

In addition he has gone from being 'the main man' to a bit part player which may well be affecting him.

Unless you are a regular Preston watcher it is difficult to ascertain accurately just how he is doing based on stats or goal highlight shows. Misfiring strikers can come good (Higdon anyone?).

Hope he comes through this tough spell and he doesn't end up at Ipox.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I also thought Moult looked lost when he came on against Derby. The return to England was never going to be straightforward given his lack of pace and strength.

One thing we know though is that’s he’s a determined character and if he gets a run, he’ll more than likely score goals. I hope he sticks it out at Preston but Rangers has always looked the perfect move for him. 

Wee bit on Hutchy from the Rancid today:

Shaun Hutchinson details how Motherwell's 'grounded' approach set him up for Premiership push with Millwall

Shaun Hutchinson watched with awe as his old club Motherwell defied the odds to seal four trips to Hampden this season.

But the defender hopes to pull off an even greater achievement by helping Millwall clinch a place at Wembley.

Hutchinson was part of the last Steelmen side to play in the Scottish Cup Final seven years ago when they lost 3-0 to Celtic.

The Fir Park side, who lost this season’s Betfred Cup Final to the Hoops after beating Rangers in the last four, crushed Aberdeen yesterday in the Scottish Cup semis to line up another showpiece.

Hutchinson is full of admiration for the way Well have punched above their weight – just like they did during his five-year spell when the Steelmen regularly qualified for Europe.

And the 27-year-old compares Motherwell’s success to current club Millwall who have enjoyed a stunning run in the English Championship that has put them in the hunt for a play-off spot.

Hutchinson, who moved to the Den from fellow London outfit Fulham, is loving life at the Lions and admits his grounding at Well helped him develop into a top talent.

He seems similarities in both clubs with their working-class roots – Millwall were founded by Scottish dockers while Motherwell’s was once at the centre of Scottish steel making.

Hutchinson said: “It’s early doors and we still have to make the play-offs – but if Millwall get promotion it would be the highlight of my career.

“Ever since I was a little boy I’ve wanted to play in England’s top flight because it’s one of the best leagues in the world.

“It’s surreal when you look at the table and see we’re fighting for the play-offs rather than trying to stay up. Harris has done a great job and has been brilliant with me.

“Millwall are similar to what it was like at Motherwell. It’s a small, tight-knit family club who are probably overachieveing.

“At Well we were finishing near the top most seasons and reached the Scottish Cup Final in 2011 despite not having a massive wage bill.

“I’m still in touch with some of the older boys like Keith Lasley and Steven Hammell who have moved into coaching at the club.

“But I always look out for Well and it’s great to see them reach Hampden four times.

“Playing in the Cup semi and final were my highlights at Fir Park.

“My time at Motherwell was a great grounding. You get younger guys at big clubs who maybe get smoke blown up them up a little bit – but at Fir Park you were taught to keep your feet on the ground.

“I learned the basics and I’m grateful for that. I learned how to be a man and I was playing for my lifestyle rather than to wear nice shoes or have fancy tattoos or hairstyles.

“You are playing because you enjoy playing and want to win for the fans. It’s stood me in good stead.” 

• Like 1

Big Hutchy is a top man.  By all reports he has been outstanding this season and as he says he is probably better suited to Millwall than Fulham which was a shambles during his time there. 16 games unbeaten in the league but they have tough fixtures to end the season.

Moult and Preston actually have a decent chance of making the playoffs as they have by far the easiest games and should be looking for 9 points while they other teams all play each other.

6 hours ago, weeyin said:

And the 27-year-old compares......

Jeez. Why do I think that time stands still for young players that leave us? 

I still have it in my head that Darren Smith is still about 22 and still dreaming of the big time.