Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

12 hours ago, AllyMax said:

Steven Lawless will now be plying his trade in the championship next year after Plastic Whistle get relegated.

Thistle fans expect that he will leave and be snapped up by a top league club. Seems he was one of the very few positives about the season for them.

Edit - Seems his destination is Perth on a pre contract going on the P&B rumours.

Hope he gets it sorted. I'm always amazed at how well paid footballers end up in financial difficulties- they're either being badly advised or are crazy with money. 

Slightly surprised as he always came across as fairly sensible. Hopefully having a job lets him get a payment scheme arranged. 

1 hour ago, daver said:

Hope he gets it sorted. I'm always amazed at how well paid footballers end up in financial difficulties- they're either being badly advised or are crazy with money. 

Slightly surprised as he always came across as fairly sensible. Hopefully having a job lets him get a payment scheme arranged. 

Agreed on all counts. As someone who is self-employed, the first thing I do when any cash or payment comes in is ringfence what I am going to have to pay in tax and then pay it ASAP. Now I have never been on EPL footballermoney, and itmust be mildly frustrating to be paying around half your income in tax, but there is not much that you can do about it. Howthelikes of Derek Ferguson can end up owing well over a million quid beggars belief.

Good luck to Faddy in sorting his financial mess out.

49 minutes ago, rinkydink said:

Most of the ex players who are experiencing financial challenges have been involved in assorted tax planning schemes (particularly film financing schemes) which sounded great at the time, but later went south...

I just did 20 years as a freelance IT contractor and agencies/agents/tax advisors were always pushing offshore loan schemes/EBT's/Financing Schemes to unsuspecting newbies. It's been happening for decades and still is. Anyone who used a vehicle other than a UK Ltd Co is now having problems with thousands facing bankruptcy over following the 'professional advice' they were given.

The sad thing is, it's always the end user that ends up carrying the can while the 'advisor' disappears off into the sunset with 10% of someone else's money.

I'm sure with the mega money available in football, it's even more common and we've only seen the tip of the iceberg so far.

37 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

As already mentioned Lawless officially released by Jags 

14 released including the captain Abdul Osman.......did we try and poach him a couple years ago ????

Not one of them good enough for us.

59 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I don't think he got more than a couple of first team appearances if I remember rightly.  Was sacked after he smashed Jim Griffin in training.

I knew he banjoed somebody at training and got sacked, but I couldn't remember who it was. I think you are right about it being Griffin.

7 minutes ago, grumpy said:

I knew he banjoed somebody at training and got sacked, but I couldn't remember who it was. I think you are right about it being Griffin.

He set about Paul McGrillen and George Burley but Griffin came off the worse.