Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

I see that Lawless has signed for Livingston. Just in time for our cup tie.....

Their fans certainly seem very pleased at this - one describing it as their signing of the summer ! Mind I don’t know who else they have signed bar Kenny Miller as player / coach who probably would have a bigger impact than Lawless even.

1 hour ago, Cumbaeyabas said:

Recently started working in Hull. In discussing Stuart Elliott (the only obvious connection for myself), the guys say that he is now a priest, and his only other 'option' would have been a terrorist'. Totally unsubstantiated, and, if posted before, apologies.

Off topic: great city, so far. Like all UK and Irish port cities I have visited, to be fair....

32 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Stuart is now a Pastor preaches in the living hope church in Hull 

20 minutes ago, Cumbaeyabas said:

I have done my due diligence, and, truly, never visited the city, outwith Pittodrie.

That's the inference, but, perhaps no dice if I ask for more details as most sport chat is Rugby League, or how much of a hero Dean Windass is/was; there's even a mural of him on one of the factory walls.....

Stuart Elliott is a mad god botherer and always has been. I amm sure it's a weird branch of christianity too.

Yeah, that's how I remember it. He was heavily involved in the church on Airbles Road and would only go somewhere  they had the same church which severely restricted his options and he went to Hull. That was the rumour anyway but seeing as we were in administration and desperate for cash we would have sold him anywhere.

I used to  know a Hull fan through work who spoke highly of him but they were playing at a lower level in those days.

3 hours ago, daver said:

That was the rumour anyway but seeing as we were in administration and desperate for cash we would have sold him anywhere.

Oddly enough thats not quite how it happened.  At the time he left, the financial powers that be running the club wanted to retain our best players including him in order to keep the club as a going concern and thereby remain competitive and attract a buyer.   It was big Terry who wanted to sell him for playing reasons.  His previous boss at Glentoran (I think) told TB that he was very talented but inconsistent playing exceptionally well in perhaps 1 game out of 4 and then being anonymous in the other 3.   Terry said the same of his stint at Fir Park and classed him as a luxury player we didn't need.  Thats exactly how I saw him at Fir Park.  He would be an absolute stand out in one game but then disappear in the next 3.  Hull obviously brought consistency to his game.  A nice guy by all accounts. 

6 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Oddly enough thats not quite how it happened.  At the time he left, the financial powers that be running the club wanted to retain our best players including him in order to keep the club as a going concern and thereby remain competitive and attract a buyer.   It was big Terry who wanted to sell him for playing reasons.  His previous boss at Glentoran (I think) told TB that he was very talented but inconsistent playing exceptionally well in perhaps 1 game out of 4 and then being anonymous in the other 3.   Terry said the same of his stint at Fir Park and classed him as a luxury player we didn't need.  Thats exactly how I saw him at Fir Park.  He would be an absolute stand out in one game but then disappear in the next 3.  Hull obviously brought consistency to his game.  A nice guy by all accounts. 

I'll take your word for it. At the time I seem to remember going on about cash-strapped Motherwell trying to bring in cash. The inconsistency line makes sense though. 

Who else did we sell immediately  following administration? Eric Delomeaux for £100k? Did Greg Strong also go to Hull? Anyone else? McFadden was the big one but he was after the summer. 

13 hours ago, daver said:

I'll take your word for it. At the time I seem to remember going on about cash-strapped Motherwell trying to bring in cash. The inconsistency line makes sense though. 

Who else did we sell immediately  following administration? Eric Delomeaux for £100k? Did Greg Strong also go to Hull? Anyone else? McFadden was the big one but he was after the summer. 

Strong got his jotters via the administrator.

4 hours ago, rinkydink said:

Strong got his jotters via the administrator.

Then moaned about how footballers shouldn't be made redundant because they are special - unlike the rest of us mere mortals who work for a living.

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Obviously this is great from Humphrey, but Iain Vigurs is the undoubted star of this clip for me.

I remember seeing a youtube video of some of Humphrey's goals, and the noticing the large number of times Vigurs played a big part in them.

14 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I remember seeing a youtube video of some of Humphrey's goals, and the noticing the large number of times Vigurs played a big part in them.

Vigurs could be hit or miss but two of the most skillful pieces of football I have ever seen watching Motherwell involved him.  The first was a pass he made at Tynecastle to Ainsworth (I think?)  from central midfield to the right side of midfield that was not only inch perfect but also showed the type of vision that Luca Modric would be proud of.  From memory Ainsworth ran about 30 yards from behind Vigurs to get onto the ball. Having watched the clip several times, I still don't know how he spotted the pass. Don't know if anybody has footage of the pass I am talking about?

The second was against us unfortunately. He was playing for ICT and a corner was floated in to the edge of the 18 yard box. He caught it perfectly on the vollley. It was the ease and almost nonchalant way he did it that was so impressive.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, star sail said:

Vigurs could be hit or miss but two of the most skillful pieces of football I have ever seen watching Motherwell involved him.  The first was a pass he made at Tynecastle to Ainsworth (I think?)  from central midfield to the right side of midfield that was not only inch perfect but also showed the type of vision that Luca Modric would be proud of.  From memory Ainsworth ran about 30 yards from behind Vigurs to get onto the ball. Having watched the clip several times, I still don't know how he spotted the pass. Don't know if anybody has footage of the pass I am talking about?

The second was against us unfortunately. He was playing for ICT and a corner was floated in to the edge of the 18 yard box. He caught it perfectly on the vollley. It was the ease and almost nonchalant way he did it that was so impressive.

Was that the pass he hit on the half volley from inside our own half, near the middle in the pitch? 

Remember being absolutely speechless when he hit it. 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'm maybe missing something here, but they never played together for us, and afaik Humphrey only ever scored once against Ross County.