Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

7 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Bad news for Jamie Murphy, he is out for the season , more evidence to support the call for plastic pitches to be banned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45273618

Of course, the SPFL is going the opposite way, issuing a statement yesterday about the high quality of the plastic pitches and how they meet FIFA standards.

I'm with the Players' Union on this. The pitch is a place of work, and if plastic is causing unnecessary risk of injury, it should be removed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Of course, the SPFL is going the opposite way, issuing a statement yesterday about the high quality of the plastic pitches and how they meet FIFA standards.

I'm with the Players' Union on this. The pitch is a place of work, and if plastic is causing unnecessary risk of injury, it should be removed.

And it's not just the SPFL, weeyin. I listened to Sportsound on Radio Shortbread on Monday and, sure enough, the SFA's Daryl Broadfoot  was defending plastic, citing a Scandinavian report that there was virtually no difference in number of injuries between grass and synthetic.

Significantly, all the former players on the programme (and Fraser Wishart too  :D) were opposed to artificial pitches, saying they did not feel confident  performing sudden movements or turns on it and that if affected their movements and thus the quality of the game.

I'm sure the authorities, with their almost instinctive ability to make the Scottish game worse, will plough ahead regardless.

Really sorry for Jamie: a nice guy who didn't bother celebrating his goal against us last year.

The issue is how the "plastic pitches" are firstly installed, and secondly maintained.

There are dozens of top level clubs all over Scandinavia and Russia playing games on such pitches without issue. They are regularly used in Champions League & Europa League matches as well as internationals but it seems only Scottish players greet about it.

I feel its less to do with the surface being dangerous and more to do with the surface highlighting deficiencies in players technical ability! Most Scottish players cant trap or control a solid pass ,have embarrassing close control and can barely pass 10 yards to a teammate, at least on grass they can blame a bobble etc

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

The problem with this train of thought, is that players are regularly injured on grass too, with Christophe Berra being the most recent one.

I'm in no way putting up a defence for these pitches, as I think they are a complete red neck, but to suggest that they are unsafe in comparison to grass parks isn't an argument that holds much water...long-term effects on the joints, or the lack of entertainment due to the un-natural playability and random bounces etc are where I'd be focussing my arguments, not on freakish injuries.

14 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I haven't ever witnessed an enjoyable game on plastic.

Same here. Since the day QPR tried the first one back in the day, they have all been terrible. The best one I have seen seems to be Alloa, and even those games were hard to watch.

4 minutes ago, Shaka said:

The issue is how the "plastic pitches" are firstly installed, and secondly maintained.

There are dozens of top level clubs all over Scandinavia and Russia playing games on such pitches without issue. They are regularly used in Champions League & Europa League matches as well as internationals but it seems only Scottish players greet about it.

I feel its less to do with the surface being dangerous and more to do with the surface highlighting deficiencies in players technical ability! Most Scottish players cant trap or control a solid pass ,have embarrassing close control and can barely pass 10 yards to a teammate, at least on grass they can blame a bobble etc

It's not easy to trap a pass when you don't know if the ball will bounce shin height or shoulder height. Regardless, I don't think there's any argument a good grass surface is better than a good palstic surface. So why not have the game played on the best available? At least in the top flight.

And who knows if Russian players play on them without issue? I doubt there's much data available on injuries and recovery times from there. They used hybrids in the World Cup (which are basically grass) so FIFA - despite their claims - must think grass is better.

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

The problem with this train of thought, is that players are regularly injured on grass too, with Christophe Berra being the most recent one.

I'm in no way putting up a defence for these pitches, as I think they are a complete red neck, but to suggest that they are unsafe in comparison to grass parks isn't an argument that holds much water...long-term effects on the joints, or the lack of entertainment due to the un-natural playability and random bounces etc are where I'd be focussing my arguments, not on freakish injuries.

It's obviously true that players can be injured on grass, but I think it's the nature of the inuries that are worth exploring. It seems that ACL and some joint inuries are more common on plastic - but without hard data, that might just be my bias.

I agree that the biggest impact is the lack of entertainment. And given this is supposed to be an entertainment industry, the authorities should be responding to the paying spectators' and the players' concerns.

From the Wigan Forum re Kipre tonight

1. Kipre, can't say enough good words about him. To see his level of composure for a 21 year old is very rare. When he made mistakes against Villa, he never changed his style of play or let it affect his judgement. Too often you see players try to make up for an error, which almost always leads to more errors.

2. Kipre gets a very strong mention as well. Colossus in defence.

3. Kipré and Dunkley have been brilliant in defence tonight.

Missing the big chap :wub:

I don't know how Moult played last night, but I watched the Preston game at the weekend where he got 20mins as a sub. First time I've watched Preston this season, but I did see them a few times last years.

I know they must have shiown good form at various points, but each time I've seen them they have been pretty poor. Against Ipswich last year I don't think they had a single shot on target. Last weekend, they had a few more chances, but between them and Stoke, there wasn't much football being played - lots of high balls and speculative punts. There was very little being created for any of the strikers.

Just now, GazzyB said:

Reading the PNE fans forums, he has his own thread, half think he's decent but playing in a team that don't make chances, half think he's not good enough for that level.

I can see why opinion is split.  The few times I have seen him, PNE have been so poor and lacking in ideas, it's been difficult to judge. 

I watched Villa vs Brentford yesterday. I think he'd do better with either of those teams as they players on the park that were creating chances and playing in their strikers. 

Having said that, he's not the first striker that has moved on from Fir Park and struggled to score goals. Our style has suited a lot of players like Sutton, Moult and Higdon and they have thrived on it.

On 8/22/2018 at 1:49 PM, weeyin said:

This man says it doesn't:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16592773.turf-war-are-players-really-at-greater-risk-on-artificial-pitches/

19 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Not exactly emphatic, with lots of caveats, but at least a little more scientific. (And, in fact, implies that players with blades were more likely to be injured on older 3G pitches).

Overall, there is no good evidence that, with normal football boots versus blades, artificial pitches increase risk of lower limb injury.

“The footwear the player wears can be an influence. It used to be said that blades increase torsion of the knee and certainly in the older pitches that was true. But there isn’t such strong evidence that that is still the case with the new 3G pitches.”