Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

3 hours ago, The African said:

Since 1980 they have failed to qualify for two world cups. They have qualified for eight finals in that period and only failed to get out of their group once. They have gone on to finish fourth in 1986 and third in 2018. If they consider that the footballing wilderness then Goid alone knows what they would make of Scotland's performances over the same period.

Thanks for that.

So it's even worse than I thought.....

18 hours ago, weeyin said:

The lack of grass roots development in the Scottish game has little to do with McLeish as a manager and more to do with the failure of our adminstrators to manage the sport.

Of course McLeish is not solely to blame for the defeat.  As you say there are more fundamental and deep rooted factors at play.  But, McLeish must take a llittle of the blame.  He was an establishment choice; one of the old boys network if you like and as such is part of the problem not the solution.  

I'm not trying to defend McLeish here,  but losing a friendly to a team that looked good value for being best in the world, isn't exactly a disaster.

We'll see where he stands when the competitive games kick off. I'm not expecting to be overly excited, but I think he'll be competent. McLeish's biggest failings in domestic football were his dealings in the transfer market and inability to assemble or refresh a team. 

If Martinez was the Scotland boss we'd  still see the same problems because of the raw materials at the manager's disposal. The faults in our game run very deep and nobody cares enough to fix them. 

• Like 2

Is it not the case that in the not toooo distant past Belgium had a bit of a crisis, completely binned everything they were doing from Schoolboy level all the way up and did all kinds of revolutionary shit. Clearly I'm a bit short on the technical details here but I'm pretty certain something along these lines happened and what they have now is the reaped rewards of the change in approach. Or I got cunted too much too often in my 20s, that's possible too. 

Certainly with a population just over double ours they're exactly the kind of country we should be looking to emulate. Cheeky wee all expenses paid trip for someone at the absolute least. 

• Like 1

Size means fuck all. Uruguay is only 3 million, Iceland is the size of Edinburgh! 

As has been said, total change is whats needed, but as that would mean a few blazers out of well paid jobs it will never happen. 

Anyway nevermind total change. The goals on fri were horrendous. John McGinn, the Great White Hype couldnt trap a fucking bag of cement. Surely to god we are teaching our young players the absolute basics? 

Mulgrew has been a solid servant for Scotland.

im no fan of McLeish but credit to him, he gives young players and Scottish based players their chance - a refreshing change from his predecessors. I came away from Hampden very positive tonight given the quality, potential and appetite of McGinn, Armstrong, McGregor, Tierney, Robertson, McKenna, Souttar etc.

If Campbell and Cadden kick on this season, there is no reason why they can’t get in the squad when the time is right. We have a manager that will give them a chance if they are good enough. 

• Like 1

Just picking up on this.

Belgium copied the model the French put in place after their game went belly up in early 80's. Similar to France, they had an emphasis on education within football, including diet and fitness which propelled them to World Cup win in '98. They also had a great deal of immigration from Africa and Eastern Europe during this time, with many of the kids of the immigrants gaining French citizenship through time spent in schools - or indeed being born there. Belgium is now exact same, and it does have an impact for me. Guys whose parents have made the decision to risk everything to escape their hardships for a better life are usually filled with a determination to prove their "national pride". A few interviews from Lukaku emphasises this exact point. 

14 of the France '98 World Cup winning squad could have played for other nations. The squad that won this years World Cup, 19 could have played for other nations under current parent/grand parent rules. 

The squad that Belgium had in Scotland on Friday, 15 could have played for other nations. 

In our squad for recent double header, only four qualify for another nation - all either England or Ireland.

Don't imagine it changing anytime soon with Brexit, or indeed with the narrow minded SFA who have previously adopted the Dutch model in the 90's and binned it after a few years, totally reversed all the German inspired ideas Bonhof adopted and now have this "Project Brave" which IMHO will be another failure. 

Have said on numerous occasions don’t understand how Liam Cooper can’t get in Scotland Squad . He’s captain of Leeds and missed a game earlier in season yet when fit again Bielsa brought him straight back in fir Jansen who captained Sweden last game so ex Argentina and Chile manager rates him  highly . Will never be convinced Mulgrew, Souter , and Hendry are better options 

6 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Have said on numerous occasions don’t understand how Liam Cooper can’t get in Scotland Squad . He’s captain of Leeds and missed a game earlier in season yet when fit again Bielsa brought him straight back in fir Jansen who captained Sweden last game so ex Argentina and Chile manager rates him  highly . Will never be convinced Mulgrew, Souter , and Hendry are better options 

There was a wee rumour doing the rounds a year or so back that he asked not to be selected. Wether there is anything in that or not is hard to say, but he's defo a better option than some of the options we have a CB. 

1 hour ago, Well Up For It! said:

Just picking up on this.

Belgium copied the model the French put in place after their game went belly up in early 80's. Similar to France, they had an emphasis on education within football, including diet and fitness which propelled them to World Cup win in '98. They also had a great deal of immigration from Africa and Eastern Europe during this time, with many of the kids of the immigrants gaining French citizenship through time spent in schools - or indeed being born there. Belgium is now exact same, and it does have an impact for me. Guys whose parents have made the decision to risk everything to escape their hardships for a better life are usually filled with a determination to prove their "national pride". A few interviews from Lukaku emphasises this exact point. 

14 of the France '98 World Cup winning squad could have played for other nations. The squad that won this years World Cup, 19 could have played for other nations under current parent/grand parent rules. 

The squad that Belgium had in Scotland on Friday, 15 could have played for other nations. 

In our squad for recent double header, only four qualify for another nation - all either England or Ireland.

Don't imagine it changing anytime soon with Brexit, or indeed with the narrow minded SFA who have previously adopted the Dutch model in the 90's and binned it after a few years, totally reversed all the German inspired ideas Bonhof adopted and now have this "Project Brave" which IMHO will be another failure. 

In short....allow some Africans into the country, and hope that in twenty years or so, their offspring are good at the fitba

On 9/13/2018 at 11:08 AM, ONeils4oyarder said:

In short....allow some Africans into the country, and hope that in twenty years or so, their offspring are good at the fitba

I think that was what Gordon Strachan was alluding to with his maligned “genetic disadvantage” comments.

Although it’s wrong to suggest we need players of African or Caribbean descent as they are bigger, faster, stronger, it’s not as simple as that.

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

I think that was what Gordon Strachan was alluding to with his maligned “genetic disadvantage” comments.

Although it’s wrong to suggest we need players of African or Caribbean descent as they are bigger, faster, stronger, it’s not as simple as that.

Or, alternatively, we could develop young players according to our own strengths, not according to the strengths of others that we’d like to have, but don’t.