Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Not a former player but I caught the end of Match of the Day on Sunday and saw Bamba playing for Cardiff. Checking Wikipedia confirmed it was indeed Sol Bamba, formerly of Hibs.

Wikipedia states that Dunfermline agreed a fee of £50k with Hibs and Motherwell but he went to Hibs. This was the first I'd heard of us ever being interested. Was this common knowledge?

• Like 1

Great memories of this guy - would like to see him back again. From BBC

He's had £23m worth of transfer fees spent on him but has never played in the Premier League, and now Ross McCormack is heading out of the Championship to Australia for the second time.

When he moved from Leeds to Fulham in 2014 for £11m it was a record fee paid by a second-tier club in England. 

But the Scotland striker's career has hit the buffers since Aston Villa paid £12m for him in 2016 - he scored just three times for the club and has not played a league game for them since January 2017.

image.gif

On 9/21/2018 at 9:45 PM, steelboy said:

Does McCormack not have drug and alcohol problems?

I watched the last ten minutes of the Wigan game and big Cedric was clearing everything. They are up to third and he's got the Simon Phoenix hair back.

No problem on the drug/alcohol front as far as I'm aware 

I know it’s on a former manager, but thought I’d do a piece on Mark McGhee’s final month at FP after reading Scott Mullen’s interview with him on the BBC site last week.

https://www.mfc1886.com/justice-for-mcghee-the-spectacular-demise-of-a-football-manager/
Great piece Andy, well done.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Waiting for a train this morning at Preston and was surprised to see the Preston squad walking up the platform led by Alex Neil. I see they're playing at Villa tonight so I suppose the train but surprised as I thought football teams all travelled by coach. Didn't see Moult but wasn't particularly stalking!

32 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Alex Neil will be getting the sack very soon. I like to see Scottish managers do well down there, shame.

I think you're right. PNE have carried the poor form of the final quarter of last season right into this season's campaign. 

4 hours ago, daver said:

Waiting for a train this morning at Preston and was surprised to see the Preston squad walking up the platform led by Alex Neil. I see they're playing at Villa tonight so I suppose the train but surprised as I thought football teams all travelled by coach. Didn't see Moult but wasn't particularly stalking!

I could well be mistaken but I'm pretty sure I saw something on social media, can't remember if it was Motherwell themselves or one of the players and they appeared to be on a train going to Aberdeen.  Kind of makes sense if it was the case what with greater opportunity to move about and all.  Stuck in my head a bit as like you the assumption would be they'd travel by bus.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45835735

Chris Humphrey: Motherwell thanked by winger as he retires because of injury

Winger Chris Humphrey says will "never forget" the support Motherwell gave him, after announcing his retirement from football because of injury.

Humphrey, 31, lost his unborn son during his four-year spell at Fir Park - a time in which he played 163 games.

The 31-year-old last played for Barrow on loan from Bury in February, having had a brief spell at Hibernian in 2017.

"I've been playing for the last year or so with a lot of pain and I can't play through that anymore," he said.

"Massive thank you to all the Motherwell fans. Everyone at the football club was great and I will never forget that."

Wishing him and his family all the very best.

• Like 2

Frustrating player at times but gave us some great moments in a very good Motherwell team. Needless to say he would walk into the current side. Sad to hear the injury has got the better of him. Wish him all the best with whatever the future holds.