Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

sad to hear he's struggled on in pain, an honest player who benefited greatly from coaching and players around him, sound fella too

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Sorry to see Chris retire from the game in such circumstances.  He did well for us in his 4 years with the club, and its nice to read his comments about his time at Fir Park.  He was the original wing back.  All the best to him in his future career.

? Was Tom Hateley not right behind him majority of games , I really dont recall Chris as a wingback ( and can only imagine I'd be hiding behind my hands if he was!)

Humphrey MFC 2009-13 132 appearances (8 goals)

Hateley MFC 2009 -13 148 appearances (10goals)

9 hours ago, mcguru said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45835735

Chris Humphrey: Motherwell thanked by winger as he retires because of injury

Winger Chris Humphrey says will "never forget" the support Motherwell gave him, after announcing his retirement from football because of injury.

Humphrey, 31, lost his unborn son during his four-year spell at Fir Park - a time in which he played 163 games.

The 31-year-old last played for Barrow on loan from Bury in February, having had a brief spell at Hibernian in 2017.

"I've been playing for the last year or so with a lot of pain and I can't play through that anymore," he said.

"Massive thank you to all the Motherwell fans. Everyone at the football club was great and I will never forget that."

Wishing him and his family all the very best.

If you read the full statement, he says his four years at fir park, were the best of his life

4 hours ago, Brazilian said:

? Was Tom Hateley not right behind him majority of games , I really dont recall Chris as a wingback

Yes, he was indeed Iain.  However Humphrey played right back" on perhaps 3 or 4 occasions through necessity and looked the perfect "wingback" as we call them today.  He could bomb up and down the wing all day long attacking or defending.  

Sorry to hear that Chris has had to retire, great player for us and a great out ball player. Our defence could punt it up the wing and be confident that he would try and chase it down taking the pressure off but also good enough to have it passed to him in attack and see him make defenders panic as they didn’t know how to handle him. 

All the best to him. 

8 minutes ago, smiddy said:

that's yir Brian Kerr now plastic whistles assistant manager

Biggest waster I've ever seen at Fir Park.

Huge footballing talent only surpassed by his ego and laziness. Could have been a top class player if he had bothered trying. 

On 10/14/2018 at 12:58 AM, stuwell said:

Sorry to hear that Chris has had to retire, great player for us and a great out ball player. Our defence could punt it up the wing and be confident that he would try and chase it down taking the pressure off but also good enough to have it passed to him in attack and see him make defenders panic as they didn’t know how to handle him. 

All the best to him. 

Always liked the guy as a player. Can remember specifically a game at Fir Park v Ross County where he slaughtered their left back, think we won 4-1 or something. And loved watching him every time we played Caley cause he tore Graeme Shinnie to pieces with his pace every single time. Poor Shinnie looked mentally shattered after every game against us.

I was surprised at the above stats of how few goals he scored.

Was a great out ball and put the fear into other teams and although sometimes he’d be fairly anonymous, a team nullifying him often opened up the left wing for Jamie Murphy.

Was never going to play into his late 30s as his main (would be a touch harsh to say only) attribute was his lightning pace.

Frustrating at times, but a player that left with the best wishes of most fans.

1 hour ago, Tamwell said:

Chris Humphrey hasn't quite retired, just signed for East Kilbride and could feature in their Scottish cup tie today against Spartans 

Linking up with Craig Reid down the right side at EK. Good luck to him. 

• 4 weeks later...

Former players and current mess related.

Craig Samson has officially retired as a player. Opting to move to Sunderland as a coach with immediate effect.

Leaves  St-Mirren with two unproven keepers , likley to go with 24 year old American Irishman Danny  Rogers until January window from what I can see.

Rogers has been an Aberdeen player for 6 years since turning pro, almost always out on loan, last two full seasons at Falkirk playing 64 games before loan was switched to Buddies

their other keeper is 27 year old Dean Lyness whos been all over but rarely made first team appearnances

16 hours ago, Brazilian said:

Former players and current mess related.

Craig Samson has officially retired as a player. Opting to move to Sunderland as a coach with immediate effect.

Leaves  St-Mirren with two unproven keepers , likley to go with 24 year old American Irishman Danny  Rogers until January window from what I can see.

Rogers has been an Aberdeen player for 6 years since turning pro, almost always out on loan, last two full seasons at Falkirk playing 64 games before loan was switched to Buddies

their other keeper is 27 year old Dean Lyness whos been all over but rarely made first team appearnances

Why do shit goalkeepers always end up as coaches at decent clubs, Stevie Woods at Celtic and now Samson at Sunderland

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Why do shit goalkeepers always end up as coaches at decent clubs, Stevie Woods at Celtic and now Samson at Sunderland

" Those who can, do; those who can't, teach." --George Bernard Shaw

"Those who can't do, teach." --Woody Allen

etc.

Paul Slane guested on the Si Ferry podcast a couple of episodes ago. Well with a listen., especially the last half hour. Speaks well of Motherwell, albeit briefly.
Yeah listened to that, very interesting, guy is completely off the wall, found parts quite sad as well, as you say later on. Agree well worth a listen (but not within earshot of kids!!)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk