Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

From what I've seen watching the BBC's (excellent) coverage of the preliminary FA Cup rounds, there seems to be a rapid reduction in quality between the teams and players at the top of the National League and those below them. Not surprising really given the makeup of some of those teams. I saw one that had about half a dozen loanees from the EFL Championship and there have been a couple in recent times with some serious bankroll behind them (like Salford) who are trying to buy their way into League 2 and beyond.

I certainly enjoyed watching the FA Cup coverage where there were sometimes teams from the 9th tier matched up against the 5th and 6th tiers. 

From what I've seen watching the BBC's (excellent) coverage of the preliminary FA Cup rounds, there seems to be a rapid reduction in quality between the teams and players at the top of the National League and those below them. Not surprising really given the makeup of some of those teams. I saw one that had about half a dozen loanees from the EFL Championship and there have been a couple in recent times with some serious bankroll behind them (like Salford) who are trying to buy their way into League 2 and beyond.

I certainly enjoyed watching the FA Cup coverage where there were sometimes teams from the 9th tier matched up against the 5th and 6th tiers. 

I love watching lower league/cup fitba, and if we aren't playing or are at the ugly sisters I try and take in a game, sure the quality isn't great, but there is a refreshing honesty and enthusiasm about it, and at times some great moments. 2 Kelty Hearts goals I saw last season would have graced any ground. Agree BBC FA cup early round coverage excellent

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

I love watching lower league/cup fitba, and if we aren't playing or are at the ugly sisters I try and take in a game,

Another who does this by following Largs Thistle.  Great game the other week when they were knocked out of the cup by Lesmahagow.  Noting the Gow's score this weekend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46336414

Preston striker Louis Moult on Motherwell inspiration during difficult year
By Scott Mullen

BBC Sport Scotland

Louis Moult scored on Saturday against Blackburn Rovers
"You do question yourself sometimes and my time at Motherwell has helped me to stay positive and carry on believing in myself."

For much of the last year, Louis Moult has found himself a long way from the life he knew in Scotland.

So long one of the Premiership's most prolific strikers with 50 goals in two and a half seasons, now at Preston Moult has learned to dig deep into his resolves of self belief, character and sheer determination to prove himself at Deepdale.

Struggling for starts and regular game time with the Championship club, the former Motherwell cult hero netted his third goal in six games on Saturday, fuelling the fire of confidence which is beginning to burn brightly again within the 26-year-old.

Here, Moult talks to BBC Scotland about his low moments over the past year, how his family have kept him going, and his apology to his far-travelled followers.

Moult scores as Preston defeat Blackburn
'Not playing can dent your confidence'
This time last year, Moult was preparing for his first cup final. Already entrenched as Motherwell's inspirational striker, it was his double against Rangers in the semis at Hampden that paved the way for the first of two showpiece finales for the Lanarkshire club.

That afternoon was one of several memories that still stay with the former Wrexham forward from his time at Fir Park. Along with scoring four goals in a derby against Hamilton Academical, or netting a brace at Parkhead to sink champions Celtic, these thoughts have swirled about in the mind of the ferociously ambitious Moult during the difficult moments of his first year at Preston.

After moving in the January transfer window, the man who averaged a goal in less than every two games in Scotland had to wait eight games before his first of two goals in his maiden season arrived.

"I still look back in my time in Scotland quite often, actually," said Moult, whose goal in Saturday's 4-1 win over Blackburn Rovers helped move Preston into 16th place in the Championship.

"I think because I'm not playing as much it gives me a little boost, because when you're not playing it can dent your confidence. You do question yourself sometimes and my time at Motherwell has helped me to stay positive and carry on believing in myself.

"It's a bit of everything. The kind of player I was up there, the kind of goals I scored up there, but more than anything it's just my general play.

"It's more or less my missus who says that to me. You do get that little bit of self belief that goes, and she's the one that says, 'look what you did at Motherwell' and 'you can do it'. She's helped me all the way, really."

Louis Moult
Moult celebrates his second goal in last season's League Cup semi-final against Rangers
'I can get a bit miserable'
For all those frustrations, Moult insists the move to Preston has been a positive experience and one he remains sure he can fulfil.

The striker, who started his career at Stoke City, has played his part in an eight-game unbeaten run for Alex Neil's team.

"I've enjoyed being back down south and being closer to the family, but me as a person, if anyone knows me, they'll know I just love to play football," he said. "So that part has been very, very frustrating but I'm loving my time at Preston.

"I can get a bit miserable when I don't play, I'm just that kind of character. It's been a little bit frustrating that I've not really managed to string games together for one reason or another but I've got to try and stay positive and keep at it.

"It's something I need to deal with better. I need to keep a smile on my face regardless. I've worked quite hard on that this season to try and be good around the place regardless of if I'm playing or not. Having the kids and missus at home has helped take my mind off things.

"I'm very, very fortunate to be in the job I'm in and at the club I'm at, and I try every day. I'll keep trying every day to prove that I can play in this division."

'I was hungry, determined and very, very lucky'
As well as looking back fondly at his time in Scotland, Moult occasionally gets little visual reminders of the club he still holds close to his heart.

During last season and this current campaign, Motherwell fans have travelled south to watch the man they idolised in claret and amber, even if they sometimes didn't get to see their man in action.

"It's unbelievable, it doesn't happen very often in football," he added.

"It's happened quite a lot actually and the support I have received from them, it's ridiculous. I've said how much they mean to me and they've helped me become the man I am today. Most of the time it's been a wasted journey for them, though, so I feel sorry for them.

"My time at Motherwell was amazing. When I joined I was going into it quite unaware what Scotland was about. I was very hungry and determined.

"In the back of my head I wanted to do well but I didn't think it could have gone that well. I was very, very lucky."

3 hours ago, Clackscat said:

I love watching lower league/cup fitba, and if we aren't playing or are at the ugly sisters I try and take in a game, sure the quality isn't great, but there is a refreshing honesty and enthusiasm about it, and at times some great moments. 2 Kelty Hearts goals I saw last season would have graced any ground. Agree BBC FA cup early round coverage excellent

Although they are now in the big time in League 2, Forest Green Rovers were my non-league wee team when I lived in Stroud.

25 minutes ago, buff_is_the_tooth_fairy said:

Jamie Jackson @JamieJackson___ Sat 1 Dec 2018 12.00 GMT Last modified on Sat 1 Dec 2018 12.13 GMT

Now in his third stint as manager, Jim Gannon is aiming to bring back the good times, starting at Barnet in the FA Cup on Sunday

Sustainability” is a word Jim Gannon often uses when discussing Stockport’s upward trajectory and ambition to become fully professional again. The 50 year old – two years into his third stint in charge, having played 505 games for County – takes his National League North side to Barnet in the FA Cup on Sunday while playing the short and long managerial game.

His first, four-year tenure ended when he was sacked when Stockport went into administration in 2009. He was appointed for the second time in November 2011 but financial constraints again proved insurmountable and he was relieved of his post, this time in January 2013.

So when the current ownership, headed by the chairman, Richard Park, alongside his fellow major shareholders Chris Bramall and Simon Bellamy, talk of going professional to try to regain the Football League status they lost in 2011, Gannon ponders whether a hybrid system might be wiser in the short term.

“Sustainability,” he says. “The financial commitment of going full-time can be huge. You’re suddenly moving players on to contracts for 52 weeks and that creates other challenges. We’ve got some very good part-time players who we can’t afford to turn full-time because of their jobs. Someone like [the forward] Matty Warburton is a school teacher, Ben Hincliffe, my goalkeeper, is a lorry driver, and the club captain until recently, Ash Palmer, is another teacher.

“So there’s a hardcore of very good part-timers, some good full-time players, and also a new group – Scott Duxbury, Dan Cowan, Adam Thomas – they’ve got other things going. Trying to find that balance is key.”

To reach Sunday’s cup tie with John Still’s National League side, Stockport have beaten South Shields 2-1 (away), Corby 3-0 (home), and Altrincham 2-0 (home), before a fine 3-1 win at Yeovil in the first round proper.

Stockport stood 11th in National League North before Saturday’s games, four points from a play-off position. Gannon says: “We had a run of 11 games without defeat [in all competitions] and that came to an end at Blyth Spartans [10 days ago] – that’s the problem we have with the FA Cup.

“It means three league games were moved from a Saturday to a Tuesday night and when they’re difficult away trips like Blyth, Spennymoor and local derbies like Ashton we’re concerned about the effect it will have on our league form. But as each couple of weeks goes by we seem to be stronger. And fortunately this week has been free, so we can fully focus on the one game.”

Gannon, whose side beat Chorley 3-0 in the FA Trophy last weekend, holds a Uefa pro licence and likes to operate a three-line midfield with a passing style. Barnet are mid-table in the National League, so the tie guarantees a non-league presence in the third round.

“I like John Still,” Gannon says. “I crossed swords with him at Dagenham. He always puts together a good, hard-working side and often uses a 3-5-2. They’ve got the usual strong players from the National League, a couple he knows from Dagenham and Luton, and a sprinkling of young players who have come through at Barnet and other clubs. He’s used the loan market well.”

Gannon, who began his well-travelled playing career at Dundalk in 1987, is in Stockport’s hall of fame. “When you’ve been associated with the club for 28 years you can’t help but be part of it,” he says. “I met my wife through Stockport connections and many fans have turned into friends. The club is a special place for me. I’ve always been true to the supporters and the belief that this is a great club, with a big part to play in the town.”

Gannon certainly shared in some great days, playing in the side who in 1996-97 won promotion from what is now League One and reached the League Cup semi-finals, beating a trio of top-flight clubs before losing the semi-final 2-1 on aggregate to Middlesbrough.

“I was asked after the Yeovil game: ‘Is this the best day of your career?’ I said: ‘I played when we beat West Ham [December 1996], Blackburn [October 1996] and Southampton when Matthew Le Tissier scored [January 1997].’ We beat Middlesbrough at the Riverside [March 1997], so I’ve had some incredible moments.

“Our current position belies that history. We have to keep an eye on what we want to achieve as a club. I’ve always been a medium or long-term thinker – it’s not just about being promoted from this league, it’s about being competitive at the next level and aspiring to get back in the Football League.”

Under Gannon’s management Stockport surely have every chance of rising again.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

2 goals for Jacob Blyth for Barrow today a good win for them at home to Salford

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I'm sure the commentary team at Bt said they were his first goal(s) since before he signed for us in 2016 

On 12/29/2018 at 4:47 PM, Spiderpig said:

Could have played all day at Fylde and not scored. Utter garbage, but we know that.  Barrow also gave a run out, from the bench, to pensioner Steve Jennings.