Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Cue some people asking if we should bring him back...

26 minutes ago, Gadgey said:

In a word.......NO!!!!

Just sign him month to month and he’d be brilliant!

:lol:

Met him a couple of times and seemed a nice guy, but from bits I heard, he appeared to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder?

Memories cloud the reality I'm afraid.  In some ways like Stuart Elliott.  Could be outstanding in a game and really produced something extra special then disappears for the next month or two.  He made life hard for those trying to cover for his defensive frailties.  The typical unpredicatble winger.  Good luck to him but not at Fir Park. 

I was only kidding. But bearing in mind we replaced his width and pace with Petravicius, Ainsworth was nowhere near as patchy as some made out. And yes, nowhere near as good as others made out  

As far as I'm concerned, for the playoffs and for the cross to Moult at Douglas  Park that pretty much secured our safety, I'll always think of him fondly...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I was only kidding. But bearing in mind we replaced his width and pace with Petravicius, Ainsworth was nowhere near as patchy as some made out. And yes, nowhere near as good as others made out  

As far as I'm concerned, for the playoffs and for the cross to Moult at Douglas  Park that pretty much secured our safety, I'll always think of him fondly...

Definitely.

I was talking to a group of Plymouth fans when they came to the valley towards the end of last season and they were saying that Ainsworth had barely kicked a ball since the early part of the season.

There were mixed views about him. Some believed he wasn’t good enough to get into (what was then) a winning team. Others had said they’d heard rumours that Adams had frozen him out and was looking to offload him last summer.

In the same conversation, they were far from complimentary about Carl McHugh for the way he left them and Adams was like a Demi-God.

Report: Sunderland want to sign Sheffield United's Ben Heneghan

Olly Dawes20 minutes ago

Sunderland are reportedly keen on Sheffield United defender Ben Heneghan.

Referee Darren Drysdale has to part Lynden Gooch of Sunderland and Ben Heneghan of Blackpool after Paudie O'Connor of Blackpool had an altercation with Charlie Wyke of Sunderland during...

According to Sky Sports, Sunderland are interested in snapping up Sheffield United defender Ben Heneghan, who is currently out on loan at Blackpool.

Heneghan, 25, impressed in Scotland with Motherwell, earning himself a big move to Sheffield United in 2017, but he struggled for playing time at Bramall Lane, making just one appearance for the Blades.

This term, the 6ft 5in centre back has headed out on loan to Blackpool, where he has played 28 games and even featured against Sunderland on New Year's Day.

7 Footballers Who NEED January Transfers

maxresdefault.jpg

Now, Sky Sports believe that Sunderland are keen to sign Heneghan, which would require Sheffield United to recall him from his time at Blackpool in order to sell him on.

Blackburn Rovers are also thought to be keen, with Sunderland looking to beat the Championship club to his signature during this month's transfer window.

The Black Cats are looking for another defender to boost their promotion bid, and after links to Celtic's Jack Hendry, Heneghan appears to be emerging as the new target for boss Jack Ross.

Adi Yussuf of Solihull Moors is tackled by Ben Heneghan of Blackpool during the FA Cup Second Round Replay match between Blackpool and Solihull Moors at Bloomfield Road on December 18,...

Ross will no doubt know plenty about Heneghan from his time in Scotland, and may hope that he can compete with the likes of Jack Baldwin and Tom Flanagan at the Stadium of Light.

Intriguingly, this isn't the first time Heneghan has been linked with Sunderland. As reported by The Chronicle in 2017, Simon Grayson wanted to lure him from Motherwell to Wearside, before losing out to Sheffield United.

Ben Heneghan of Blackpool during the Carabao Cup Fourth Round match between Arsenal and Blackpool at Emirates Stadium on October 31, 2018 in London, England.

List page image © Gareth Copley/Getty Images

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Memories cloud the reality I'm afraid.  In some ways like Stuart Elliott.  Could be outstanding in a game and really produced something extra special then disappears for the next month or two.  He made life hard for those trying to cover for his defensive frailties.  The typical unpredicatble winger.  Good luck to him but not at Fir Park. 

He was a player that could genuinely excite you in a split second, we have no one now even close to being able to do that. However as you say he just then disappeared for long spells. So frustrating because the guy has “skills” and is a real “baller”.

9 hours ago, fizoxy said:

There are very few players who fit our transfer profile 100%, but Lionel Ainsworth May be the closest - ex player, plays with Plymouth, available on a free.

We need players who will give 100% effort every time they play and not just every 10 games or so as was the case with Ainsworth, and the fact he is available on a free suggests nothing has changed, he had his chance and never took it.

• Like 1

Smiled at this in The Fiver today:

And Millwall defender Shaun Hutchinson will miss Sunday’s FA Cup tie with Hull – after cutting his shin while taking out the bins. “Hutch had a real freak accident,” muttered manager Neil Harris.