Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Well done to the club today for honouring a club legend, Willie McSeveney who celebrated his 90th birthday last Monday. DD79E71F-E681-4DE5-9AB4-A98DBEAD708E.jpeg.c8adfe739b85a8eb9fe32a948cd7bcb3.jpegArticle in match day programme and a presentation by another legend Willie Hunter on behalf of the ex-players club in the Centenary Suite.  I spoke briefly with Willie McSeveney and it was an honour to shake his hand. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ECOSSE1991 said:

Well done to the club today for honouring a club legend, Willie McSeveney who celebrated his 90th birthday last Monday. DD79E71F-E681-4DE5-9AB4-A98DBEAD708E.jpeg.c8adfe739b85a8eb9fe32a948cd7bcb3.jpegArticle in match day programme and a presentation by another legend Willie Hunter on behalf of the ex-players club in the Centenary Suite.  I spoke briefly with Willie McSeveney and it was an honour to shake his hand. 

Happy birthday Willie 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clackscat said:

Jacob Blyth scores for Barrow away at Wrexham.......Cedric benched for Wigan, perhaps a long ever present season is catching up with him?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Kieran Kennedy got Wrexham's consolation goal in that game, so ex Motherwell players scoring for both teams

On 3/9/2019 at 7:36 PM, ECOSSE1991 said:

Well done to the club today for honouring a club legend, Willie McSeveney who celebrated his 90th birthday last Monday. article in match day programme and a presentation by another legend Willie Hunter on behalf of the ex-players club in the Centenary Suite.  I spoke briefly with Willie McSeveney and it was an honour to shake his hand. 

Great to see.
Does Well legend Ian St John ever get involved in the ex-players club? I know he still does the odd thing for Liverpool. 

On 3/13/2019 at 3:17 PM, underboyleheating said:

Does Well legend Ian St John ever get involved in the ex-players club? I know he still does the odd thing for Liverpool. 

I'd be surprised if he did. Apart from his spells with us as a player and manager he's never really shown much of an interest in us despite being born and brought up locally.  I read his book and it came across to me, at least, that he didn't have much time for us as he was mistreated as a player.   

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'd be surprised if he did. Apart from his spells with us as a player and manager he's never really shown much of an interest in us despite being born and brought up locally.  I read his book and it came across to me, at least, that he didn't have much time for us as he was mistreated as a player.   

I’ve never got that from him, the complete opposite in fact.

3 hours ago, Frazzie said:

He was interviewed in the St Johnstone programme a few weeks ago and stated the Motherwell result is the first one he looks for every week.

That was my assumption Frazzie that he still has a soft spot for Motherwell. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

I’ve never got that from him, the complete opposite in fact.

That was my assumption Frazzie that he still has a soft spot for Motherwell. 

This. He always seemed to have a genuine affection for the club.

I would also add that, when acting as a pundit for TV, he always wore his heart on his sleeve and was unerringly pro Scotland if it was an international match. I also recall him cheering from the commentary box asJohn Hewitt scored the winner for Aberdeen against Real Madrid in Gothenburg. Seems one of the good guys.

On 3/16/2019 at 6:19 PM, Kmcalpin said:

I read his autobiography and it was glowing in his fondness for the Club he supported as a boy

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:19 PM, Kmcalpin said:

Utter nonsense! - He used to mention Motherwell most weeks on Saint and Greavsie and when he didn't and the Well were mentioned Greaves would comment on it being Saints' team.

And apart from that I know the family, used to own a newsagent at the end of the Loaning.