Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Gorrin said in an interview when he started playing consistently earlier in the year that he wanted to stay and that he had an additional year on his contract but it was an apperanced based to trigger it and he doubted he would make it. Just one of those things, when he hit a rich vein of form the vultures started circling .

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

He was completely hopeless for the first half of the season.  He looked out his depth against Sligo.

It's almost like players need time to adapt to a new level when they make the step up. 

Arsene Wenger used to say it took a player 6 months to adapt to a different league that played at the same level. Maybe he knows what he's talking about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kat said:

Gorrin said in an interview when he started playing consistently earlier in the year that he wanted to stay and that he had an additional year on his contract but it was an apperanced based to trigger it and he doubted he would make it. Just one of those things, when he hit a rich vein of form the vultures started circling .

Is that why he got sent off, did we see him again after that? Deliberately kept the appearances down?

On 6/21/2019 at 11:49 PM, Brazilian said:

was it not insanity to sign him on a one year deal, Given that he was identified as good enough for us?

Of course not, we're a club who operate in the market of taking chances on guys like Gorrin, hoping we hit a jackpot every now & then and manage to find someone who's a good player and who's happy to then remain with the club for longer and improve their career before moving on.

We'll win some, we'll lose some, and our batting average as far as financial return on such players isn't too bad at the moment. 

On 6/21/2019 at 11:49 PM, Brazilian said:

whats the business model behind that?

It's part of an overall business model that's seen us bring in some decent coin of late.

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Zak Jules is also playing with Macclesfield they seem to attract dross.

We sold Zak Jules down the river. I have no idea if he'll ever turn into a decent player, but he hadn't played a senior league game when we stuck him into the middle of an injury ravaged defence in a team that was struggling to play even dire football. 

The result of that was as inevitable as it was disastrous.

Zak jules was hopeless but I will never forget his winning goal at rugby park after Carl Mchugh had equalised. For some reason that day felt like the turning point, one nil down, went two one ahead and gave away a penalty in the 90th minute only for Boyd to smack it off the post!! was it not Robinson's first game in charge?

22 hours ago, Wellfan1984 said:

Jacob Blyth signs for Macclesfield. 

I thought I had read about financial trouble somewhere. Sure enough, I found this today:

And members of Macclesfield Town’s squad are taking the club to court over unpaid wages. “Having exhausted all other options, we feel we have been left with no alternative but to seek legal advice and take action in order to gain payment of wages, for the last two months,” read a statement from the group.

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

We sold Zak Jules down the river. I have no idea if he'll ever turn into a decent player, but he hadn't played a senior league game when we stuck him into the middle of an injury ravaged defence in a team that was struggling to play even dire football. 

Turnbull and Hastie seemed to do okay when they were chucked in at the deep end. 

Think it's moreso the fact that he wasn't very good. 

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

Disastrous perhaps but inevitable I'm not so sure.

Bar the fact he had played one league game you've just described Mark Reynolds introduction into senior football.

5 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Turnbull and Hastie seemed to do okay when they were chucked in at the deep end. 

Think it's moreso the fact that he wasn't very good. 

He might not have been very good. But he was still thrown into a defence with 2 fit players, in a terrible team that had more leaks than Donald Trump's White House. 

(Plus it's a lot easier and lot more forgiving when you screw things up playing wide right).

7 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Disastrous perhaps but inevitable I'm not so sure.

Bar the fact he had played one league game you've just described Mark Reynolds introduction into senior football.

Mark Reynolds made his debut in the 2nd last game of the season, when our league status had been long since secured, and the result was meaningless.

Not even close to being chucked into a disaster of a team with a disaster of a defence, struggling to find 11 fit players and fighting to avoid play-offs.

Again - I'm not saying he was good, I'm just saying he had little chance of success.

12 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Mark Reynolds made his debut in the 2nd last game of the season, when our league status had been long since secured, and the result was meaningless.

Not even close to being chucked into a disaster of a team with a disaster of a defence, struggling to find 11 fit players and fighting to avoid play-offs.

Again - I'm not saying he was good, I'm just saying he had little chance of success.

Little chance is nudging a little more in the right direction from it being inevitable he was going to be a disaster.

That was kind of my point with the Reynolds comparison. By comparison to the dead rubber Reynolds debuted in the one senior game Jules had the experience of playing against an English Championship side  in the FA Cup. It was live on TV. He had already been capped several times for Scotland U21's. He already had a contract with an English Championship side.  It was not as if he had come to Motherwell having never seen a football in his life before.

I certainly grant you the seriousness of a scenario faced  is obviously going to be much different in February than it is in August but we were so flush of defensive options that Bobby Donnelly had been picked in the preceding games to when Reynolds started against Aberdeen

But then in some respects Jules had something of a free hit at Fir Park. He was provided with a platform  of experiencing a club fighting a relegation battle - without necessarily the same pressure on him as those already at the club - and if he we had been relegated he could have toddled back south absolving himself from any blame for he was on loan late in the season.

If anyone sold Zak Jules down the river at Fir Park it was Zak Jules.

3 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Little chance is nudging a little more in the right direction from it being inevitable he was going to be a disaster.

That was kind of my point with the Reynolds comparison. By comparison to the dead rubber Reynolds debuted in the one senior game Jules had the experience of playing against an English Championship side  in the FA Cup. It was live on TV. He had already been capped several times for Scotland U21's. He already had a contract with an English Championship side.  It was not as if he had come to Motherwell having never seen a football in his life before.

I certainly grant you the seriousness of a scenario faced  is obviously going to be much different in February than it is in August but we were so flush of defensive options that Bobby Donnelly had been picked in the preceding games to when Reynolds started against Aberdeen

But then in some respects Jules had something of a free hit at Fir Park. He was provided with a platform  of experiencing a club fighting a relegation battle - without necessarily the same pressure on him as those already at the club - and if he we had been relegated he could have toddled back south absolving himself from any blame for he was on loan late in the season.

If anyone sold Zak Jules down the river at Fir Park it was Zak Jules.

So basically what you are saying is he was pish, just like we all thought. :nod: