Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

13 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

According to Wikipedia dates it would’ve been McGhee weeks before leaving and Robinson taking over. 

And I think McGhee had tried to bring him in to replace Marvin Johnson, but because that deal was finalised right at the end of the window, he ran out of time to complete the signing.

6 hours ago, Ross said:

Does anyone remember what manager signed frear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep was McGhee.

Frear made his debut in Jan 2017 coming on as a sub in a 0-2 defeat to Rangers.

The other players brought in in that window were Zak Jules and Stephen Pearson.

2 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

He looked no great shakes at Killie and I have no idea the last time he played a game. No thanks.. 

This. Erwin has pretty much done nothing since the playoffs.

Chris Cadden can go f**k himself !!!

Chris Cadden explains controversial Motherwell exit for Oxford via Columbus Crew

Well could miss out on compensation after the Scotland international moved to the MLS before being immediately shipped out to Oxford, who had wanted to sign him from the Fir Park club.

• 11:38, 24 JUL 2019
0_JS164852512.jpg

Former Motherwell midfielder Chris Cadden says his controversial transfer to Oxford United, via a loan from from Columbus Crew, as getting the "best of both worlds". 

The Scotland international moved to the MLS, but was immediately shipped out to Oxford, who had wanted to sign him from the Fir Park club.

The route to the League One club meant they got their man without having to pay the cross-border compensation fee that Motherwell would have been due for developing the player through their academy.

Well believe they are owed about £200,000 from the American club – they could have expected £320,000 if he had gone direct to Oxford - and Stephen Robinson 's side are preparing to lodge a bid for compensation.

Cadden made his debut for Oxford as he played 70 minutes in a 1-1 friendly draw against Fulham on Tuesday. And afterwards, he insisted he was happy with the move.

He told the Oxford Mail : "I thought hard about it. America is a great opportunity for me and it will be good to see a different country, because I’ve never played outside Scotland. 

"But Oxford gave me a chance to play in England, which I wanted to grab with both hands. It’s a real honour for me to play for this club.

"I guess it’s the best of both worlds."

I’d heard months ago that Cadden was  keen on a move to America. So it may be he fully intends to go out there in May and have a crack at it, and why not! I wish I’d done something like that at his age, before I had kids and a mortgage. (Obviously not as a professional footballer!)

If he never sets foot in Ohio, it’s a different story...

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I’d heard months ago that Cadden was  keen on a move to America. So it may be he fully intends to go out there in May and have a crack at it, and why not! I wish I’d done something like that at his age, before I had kids and a mortgage. (Obviously not as a professional footballer!)

If he never sets foot in Ohio, it’s a different story...

The MLS season usually starts in early March. If he is planning to play in that, he'll need to leave Oxford early or play without a break until October/November 2020.

I agree none of this is Cadden's fault, though. Oxford may or may not be trying to bend the rules, and it's up to the authorities (and possibly the tax man) to decide if this is a legit agreement.

Just now, weeyin said:

The MLS season usually starts in early March. If he is planning to play in that, he'll need to leave Oxford early or play without a break until October/November 2020.

I agree none of this is Cadden's fault, though. Oxford may or may not be trying to bend the rules, and it's up to the authorities (and possibly the tax man) to decide if this is a legit agreement.

Yeah, be interesting to see if there’s any intention of him heading over there??

It’s the “best of both worlds” justification that sticks in the craw because he’ll know all too well how much this will impact on the club financially.

Oxford are clearly at it as it wasn’t all that long ago that they were staving off administration due to the ongoing battle over the stadium and alleged owed revenues with the previous owner.

poor show all round