Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

On 9/7/2019 at 6:12 PM, Spiderpig said:

Don't think money came in to it, I suspect Tanner knew he was never going to get back to the level he was at, so taking the next step in his career outwith football, good luck to him.

Wasn't he offered reduced terms till xmas, see how things lie and then take it from there. starting at 10, done by 12, there would be plenty of yummy mummy's in gymshark gear to get through in the afternoon and early evening surely rather than pie football altogether. 

44 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Hastie scores his third in 3 games at the Stadium of Light.

The stuff on here about him falling down the leagues was laughable.

Good luck to the boy. I thought he might end up at Alloa or Dumbarton, but happy to be proved wrong.

On a side note, Sunderland draw 1-1 ridiculously often. Cost them promotion last year.

I don't think it was unreasonable to pose the question how Hastie's career would progress after his whirlwind start. Nobody really knew if it was going to be a Ross Forbes style three months of excellence then fade or whether there was something sustainable after that initial burst.  He certainly has got off to a good start in his loan spell though,

25 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I don't think it was unreasonable to pose the question how Hastie's career would progress after his whirlwind start. Nobody really knew if it was going to be a Ross Forbes style three months of excellence then fade or whether there was something sustainable after that initial burst.  He certainly has got off to a good start in his loan spell though,

Yeah, it’s been pointed out plenty times before, but of the many players who have left Motherwell for bigger and better things, how many have gone on to bigger and better things? (Especially those that have left under a cloud..)

Jake Hastie looks more Stephen Pearson than Paul Slane at the moment.

15 hours ago, Andy_P said:

From a thread on the Rotherham fan forum. Early days but it appears Hastie has been well accepted.  He was also praised by Gerard for his application, attitude and willingness to learn.....even if it meant a loan placement.. Certainly all positive so far and it seems he is forging ahead. Time will tell but it certainly does not look like a career wasted because of his decision to join Rangers.

Jake Hastie

A very big thank you Jake for choosing my wonderful club RUFC and a big thank you to Glasgow Rangers and Steven Gerard for allowing this to happen.What we are seeing from this very talented lad is so good to watch and you can see the delight on his face when he has scored.But it is not just the goals he has scored, he has created so much for other players to express themselves and he seems to knit together a pretty young team and bring that confidence in to others on the park.There is one thing for sure after Jake has helped us to gain promotion at the end of the season, he will return to the Gers and no doubt will be in their first team next season.He will improve throughout the season when they get to know each other better and when Ogbene comes back we will be a very strong force up front.
  • Like 1

I think the general point was that he'd do better in our first team (or an English lower league's first team) than warming Ranger's bench. And so far that is proving to be true.

If Rangers follow their usual path with youngsters and move him on after 2 seasons, then he'd have been just as well signing for Rotherham.

All that said, another good advert for the quality of youngster we develop. Most teams seem impressed by the professionalism of players they get from us. 

I think the perceived hope that Hastie fails has to do with the team he joined and the fact that both he and Cadden have left, seem to be doing well, and we have yet to receive a red cent in terms of development fees and or compensation. Cannot really blame individuals for having such thoughts in such circumstances.

Annoyed we didnt manage to cash in on Hastie to a level we all want but fair play to the boy if he has backed himself, earns a wedge and does well. Wee while to go yet to prove he will do well  but the more Motherwell youth players who do well the better in my eyes. Albeit I dont want to lose everyone for the minimum compo!

18 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Chris Cadden doth protest too much in today’s Sunday Mail...

Yes.  A powerful, but one sided,  PR article in the Sunday Mail that blasts some limited (?) abuse on social media right out of the water. He must have friends in high places.  I'm not fully into social media so don't know the nature or scale of the criticism. From the few comments that I've seen mainly on Fb or on here I haven't detected that much abuse or criticism - the odd comment maybe that he ought to have been more loyal but thats about it.  I wish to the lad no ill and he was entitled to move on as he wanted but has this been blown out of proportion? Usually the sign of a good and well connected PR campaign is a press headline and lengthy article refuting a claim or comments that you haven't seen.   I'd like to get MFC's side of the story, as a balance, but thats not going to happen any time soon.