Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Morally, the whole Cadden affair is just wrong. Karl Robinson’s comments indicate genuine surprise that Cadden is actually going to go to America.  

What I find a little entertaining though is his reference to Cadden being “a top championship right back”. He’s played almost every game this season in Robinson’s much loved 4231 formation and received lots of praise as a RB but I should imagine there’s plenty experts on here who thought Stephen Robinson was ruining the boys career as a RWB would disagree with him LOL 

https://therealefl.co.uk/2020/01/03/oxford-united-boss-blasts-departing-23-year-old/

Oxford United manager Karl Robinson has blasted Chris Cadden after he left the Kassam and returned to parent club Colombus Crew, as reported by the Oxford Mail.

Cadden’s move to Oxford caused a huge amount of controversy as he’d been pursued by the U’s, but eventually opted to move to the MLS instead. When he then pitched up on loan with Robinson’s side, his former employers Motherwell were incensed.

He has since made 21 appearances for the League One side, but is now set to return to the States to start his career with Colombus, a move Robinson has blasted.

“At 23 and going to play in MLS, I don’t get it,” said Robinson.

“Bow (Charlton boss Lee Bowyer) got criticised for Joe Aribo going to Glasgow Rangers, but I think this is ten times worse. Chris Cadden is a top Championship right back and will grow with this club. You don’t know where his end game is, he’s still really young.”

He then claimed his attitude was only because he ‘cares’ for his former loan star.

“Maybe I’m being harsh, but it’s only because I care for the boy,” he added.

Cadden began his career with Motherwell and played 139 games for them before his controversial move. He’s also represented Scotland at Under 21 level, as well as boasting three caps for the senior side.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:16 PM, Frazzie said:

Not sure how you can say we’ve not been shafted when we developed the guy for a decade and a team whose country he has never even visited is currently holding out to be given £1m for him.  That stinks.

We haven't been shafted because we'll get a development fee for him (albeit later than is normally the case).

Like I said about Turnbull, the main point of our academy is to develop players we could never afford to buy. We got over 100 first team games from Cadden, so it's not like a Hastie situation where he buggered off after a few good games.

Freedom of Contract and the Bosman situation means that, inevitably, ourselves and all other clubs will sometimes lose players for free - or minimal fees - when they choose not to re-sign. That isn't the player's fault - but the whole Bosman debate is a much wider discussion.

(And just wait and see what happens once the Brexit debacle is complete and freedom of movement for EU players disappears.)

We have taken advantage of transfer rules to bring in loads of players for free over the years (and sold some of them on for a profit). So we can't complain too much when one leaves us at the end of their contract.

Likewise, I'd be quite happy if Turnbull played for us for another 3 or 4 seasons and walked away after that. As a fan I get more value from watching our players play for us than I do from a sell-on fee between 2 English League One clubs.

I understand about Bosmans and freedom of contract, but this isn’t a simple free transfer. Columbus Crew are asking Oxford for £1m for him- if they decided to pay that, he’d be moving directly from us to them but the cash is going somewhere else entirely. That’s just plainly not right. I don’t blame either of the teams or the player who have all shafted us- they’re just exploiting a loophole that shouldn’t exist.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frazzie said:

I understand about Bosmans and freedom of contract, but this isn’t a simple free transfer. Columbus Crew are asking Oxford for £1m for him- if they decided to pay that, he’d be moving directly from us to them but the cash is going somewhere else entirely. That’s just plainly not right. I don’t blame either of the teams or the player who have all shafted us- they’re just exploiting a loophole that shouldn’t exist.

100%

11 hours ago, weeyin said:

We haven't been shafted because we'll get a development fee for him (albeit later than is normally the case)........Freedom of Contract and the Bosman situation means that, inevitably, ourselves and all other clubs will sometimes lose players for free - or minimal fees - when they choose not to re-sign. That isn't the player's fault - but the whole Bosman debate is a much wider discussion.

I agree with Frazzie over this.  A loophole is being exploited.

As far as Bosman is concerned, the effect on clubs has not been equal. In general larger clubs have benefitted and smaller clubs have lost out.  Larger clubs can afford to hand out 3 or 4 year contracts, whereas smaller clubs can't.  Its very unusual for large clubs to lose their good players for nothing. 

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I agree with Frazzie over this.  A loophole is being exploited.

As far as Bosman is concerned, the effect on clubs has not been equal. In general larger clubs have benefitted and smaller clubs have lost out.  Larger clubs can afford to hand out 3 or 4 year contracts, whereas smaller clubs can't.  Its very unusual for large clubs to lose their good players for nothing. 

It's only being exploited if they get away with it. Apart from the delay in payment, there is no suggestion that we won't end up receiving what we are due. 'Flow was quite adamant at the AGM that we will get paid - but because we have to go through the process (and due to the uniqueness of the situation), it might take a year or two. It's unfortunate we are having to set the precedent, but it's unlikely FIFA will want to open the floodgates to this kind of transfer finagling as it could hurt their wealthier members.

If we do end up getting screwed I'll be the first to complain, but we're not at that stage yet. I also won't complain too loudly, as I can recall many players we have picked up using the rules to our advantage - Chris Porter being a prime example, thanks to the cross border rules at the time that meant we got him for free, and we sold him back down south for £400k. (Whereas Oldham would have received a wadge of cash if he signed directly for another English club).

2 hours ago, Ross said:

Conor ripley had an absolute nightmare today for Preston first letting the ball under his arms,second coming out 30 yards to clear the ball and passes it straight to the striker and third giving away a penalty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched that on MOTD, unreal.

If that deal goes through then  I'm sure will get some increased scrutiny over and above what is already happening with the club/MLS/FIFA. 

Cadden going to MLS for a nil/minimal fee, then, on loan to Oxford straight away, which everybody thought would turn into a cheap way to get him permanently is one thing. If it turns out Oxford pay a million quid for the player then that's something else completely.... 

11 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

Seems too ridiculous to happen, was his compensation fee not supposed to be circa 600k had he gone down south straight from us?

I seem to recall that £600k was mentioned in some context but Oxford couldn't afford that.  Maybe they've suddenly come into some cash?

It would seem crazy that Oxford would refuse to pay £600k for Cadden then 6 months later be willing to pay £1m for him. However, if they did, you would think it would strengthen the clubs position in chasing Columbus for the money due to us. Be interesting to see how this pans out.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

It would seem crazy that Oxford would refuse to pay £600k for Cadden then 6 months later be willing to pay £1m for him. However, if they did, you would think it would strengthen the clubs position in chasing Columbus for the money due to us. Be interesting to see how this pans out.

I would imagine that because he seems to have  fitted right into their team,  played very well by all accounts and now  has a good amount of games under his belt  that they now think he is worth  the £1m ?

As you say it will be interesting if this development influences FIFA's take on the whole thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, santheman said:

I would imagine that because he seems to have  fitted right into their team,  played very well by all accounts and now  has a good amount of games under his belt  that they now think he is worth  the £1m ?

As you say it will be interesting if this development influences FIFA's take on the whole thing.

Its essentially been a long trial! Cloumbus sign him knowing they can screw us out the money, give him to Ocford for 6 months to see if he is worth the £600k then do the deal. If not, they still have a Scottish International for a pittance. And there is absolutely fucking no chance Cadden was clueless to the situation. Not that I have a problem with a players self interest, just save the crocodile tears in the paper and have the stones to admit you are a cunt