Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

1 hour ago, CoF said:

Strange that we never got a clear explanation about why he didn't sign a new contract (as far as I'm aware). I've no doubt it was for valid personal / footballing reasons so I'm not being critical of the decision at all, it's just that anything that I've read from Tanner has been fairly vague. 

Paraphrasing slightly - If you feel you are worth 1600 a week and you're offered 800 you find somewhere to play where they pay you more and re-establish yourself in the game to get back to being worth 1600

I could imagine multiple factors played a part. I'm sure our short term offer was pretty low and I can imagine not playing, but having to be around Fir Park most days, can make you want to move nearer to family and friends again. Plus he would have fallen down the pecking order again and likely thought a fresh start as a first team regular would be better than a bit-part player with the media and fans scrutinising every performance to see if he had regained his prior levels.

Turnbull's interview at the weekend gave an insight into how tough psychologically a long term injury can be - and he's a local with a full local support network.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/aberdeen-use-curtis-main-as-makeweight-in-attempt-to-land-st-johnstones-matty-kennedy-in-january/

Curtis Main has been offered to St Johnstone as Aberdeen attempt to land winger Matty Kennedy this month.

The former Motherwell striker – who has one goal to his name with the Dons – is being used as part of their bid to get Kennedy, who last week signed a pre-contract with the Pittodrie club, early.

It is understood Saints boss Tommy Wright wants defender Mikey Devlin as part of any deal to bring the Northern Irishman to the Reds early.

3 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Devante Cole signs a permanent deal with Doncaster.  Explains why Wigan took him back as they had someone willing to pay a fee for him...

Its for an undisclosed fee as is the norm these days. Nothing whatever to do with MFC being secretive and awkward.

29 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Probably the fee would be equivalent to buying out the remainder of his contract i.e. £100K - £200K

I think it's more likely that Wigan get him off the wage bill and Doncaster pay him until the end of the season.

Why would anyone pay Wigan for a player they were desperate to get rid of?

3 hours ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

Danny Johnson has left Dundee already for Leyton Orient on a 18 month  deal. 

Dundee fans pretty raging about it.

Wonder if we get a cut from that deal. I think he still had a year left on his contract when he left us, so we might have had a sell-on in the deal as a sweetener.

On 1/20/2020 at 10:51 PM, CoF said:

Strange that we never got a clear explanation about why he didn't sign a new contract (as far as I'm aware). I've no doubt it was for valid personal / footballing reasons so I'm not being critical of the decision at all, it's just that anything that I've read from Tanner has been fairly vague. 

There was an article in the Herald about him the other week; https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18156033.craig-tanner-bids-return-form-horror-injury-motherwell-threatened-end-career/

Not entirely clear why through it, but certainly no ill will on Tanner's side. I'd assume when he was signed he was on a hefty wage, and we'd reduced our offer on a new one dramatically, both in terms of money and length of contract. From his point of view as well, maybe best for him mentally just to be somewhere else for a while. Sounds like an absolutely miserable time for him over that period, so a fresh start probably best for all involved. 

20 hours ago, Bop said:

Do we have a sell on % for Cedric Kipre? If so, does anyone know what it is?

From memory there was a suggestion that it was pretty significant. No quotes, but I'm pretty sure we were 'delighted' with what we'd negotiated. 

11 hours ago, weeyin said:

Wonder if we get a cut from that deal. I think he still had a year left on his contract when he left us, so we might have had a sell-on in the deal as a sweetener.

Confident we'll be getting the same % of sell on from that deal as we'll be getting from our Dom Thomas one.

13 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Won't happen but I'd take him til the end of the season if we could punt Seedorf. 

I'd rather our coaching staff worked on developing a guy that wants to be here.

Even if Hastie wasn't a ex-player, though, I've always been 100% against loans between clubs in the same league for various reasons I've stated in the past.