Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

4 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Very hopefully that Kipre makes us a couple of million one day with that sell on clause.

As a team, Wigan have been hovering above the relegation zone since Kipré joined, but any time I have watched them the big man has been on top form. Would not be surprised if he gets a lucrative move.

On 6/28/2020 at 2:15 PM, weeyin said:

As a team, Wigan have been hovering above the relegation zone since Kipré joined, but any time I have watched them the big man has been on top form. Would not be surprised if he gets a lucrative move.

They've just announced they are going into administration...be interesting to see what that means for the big man's next move.

3 minutes ago, rinkydink said:

They've just announced they are going into administration...be interesting to see what that means for the big man's next move.

Can we get him on loan?......and contact  Preston to see if Louis available?.   I know its fantasy world stuff but how awesome would it be!! COYW

10 minutes ago, Gadgey said:

Another sad story and not the last EFL team to go into administration or worse. 

As a potential creditor, I expect that will be little likelihood of getting a sell on fee for the big man.

Hopefully the transfer money was paid in full......im sure the Huddersfield chairman reckoned 50-60 EFL teams were close to administration last month

40 minutes ago, Gadgey said:

Another sad story and not the last EFL team to go into administration or worse. 

Absolutely. Many fans have expressed disquiet because we can’t compete with the wages on offer down south. Now we know one of the reasons why. I’m happy with our approach.

6 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Absolutely. Many fans have expressed disquiet because we can’t compete with the wages on offer down south. Now we know one of the reasons why. I’m happy with our approach.

I read an article on the BBC sometime in the last 6-12 months about Champonship finances, with an interview from a member of the Phelan family. He was saying something to the effect of Wigan having the smallest budget in the division when they owned them but they still had to pump £1,000,000 of their own cash into the club every month just to stay afloat. Can't find the article now but will share if I do.

I think the English bubble has been due to burst for a while now. The top flight won't feel the loss of fans quite so much but I think it'll have a larger impact on lower league clubs that are being run far more precariously than teams north of the border in lieu of mental TV deals.

Wigan were bought by a Hong Kong consortium just 4 weeks ago, at which point they promised to secure its future.

It's sad, but not surprising, so many clubs like them overspend on a regular basis. It wasn't that long ago after the ITV Digital debacle that many of them had major financial issues and significant number went into Administration. Much like our friends in Govan, they still believe the solution to their problems is go further into debt in the hopes a big payday will show up soon.

3 hours ago, rinkydink said:

That I presume is a blow to Motherwells finances,. Im sure Alan Burrows said Kipres transfer had the potential with add ons to be the biggest transfer fee in Motherwells history. i wonder how much they still owed us?

1 hour ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Hopefully the transfer money was paid in full......im sure the Huddersfield chairman reckoned 50-60 EFL teams were close to administration last month

Alan Burrows said at the time of the transfer it had the potential to be the clubs biggest ever transfer fee.The word potential almost definitely confirms it wasnt 

I wouldn't dismiss the sell on fee for Kipre just yet.  It remains to be seen how severe their situation is, what interest there is in them and how the look to re-shape.

There will be vultures swooping attempting to take advantage of their situation  but not all of those bids will be accepted  - I remember Kilmarnock trying to sign Martyn Corrigan for buttons and being hunted when we were in administration.  It may be as one of the younger members of their squad there will be other players on bigger wages who Wigan will look to move on first, and again it could mirror our own situation where some of those with potential with a view to maximising their value further down the line if they maintain progress.

Gillespie confirmed at Newcastle on a 3 year deal, fair play to him. No doubt getting his motherwell wage ten times over on that contract. You have to wonder how much football he is actually going to play in those 3 years though, could genuinely not play a single senior game in that time which at 28 would  be a massive step back coming into his prime years so to speak. 

Good on him but.