Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

It was certainly a different beast in the 70s and players like Big Tam prospered in it. Other like Gregor Stevens (first time around), Stuart McLaren, Willie McVie and the likes were in a similar mould - but Jaws was a class apart.

(It also enhances the feats of guys like Graham and Pettigrew who played against it  - and often on pitches that were like ploughed fields - but managed to excel at the game.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, steelboy said:

http://www.motherwellnet.com/database/player-archive/f/tom-forsyth/

206 appearances for us.

Football in the 70s sounded properly tough, a lot of earning the right to play. Are minutes silences/applauses out the window until the knee is finished? Thought we may have honoured Willie Hunter somehow. 

I think Burrows has said there will be a minutes silence at the Hamilton game In memory of Pat Quinn,  Willie Hunter and Tam Forsyth RIP

Just read this on the BBC.

One of the very first football matches I was taken to was Tom Forsyth's Rangers (hey, don't judge) testimonial match against Swansea (then featuring guys like John Toshack, Dean Saunders, Dai Davies, Robbie James etc.)

As a player his Motherwell period was before my time but anyone getting 22 caps for Scotland in the 1970s was obviously pretty good.

And of course he was Tommy's assistant during the best times that I've ever seen as a Motherwell supporter.

Will go down as a true club legend no doubt.

Clubs are circling Kipre at the moment with West Ham and Fenerbahce both showing signs of interest.  

Could be a big few weeks (financially) for us with a potential £200k win bonus if we progress against Glentoran and maybe more from the sell on clause we have with big Cedric.

If James Scott also moves on (with his sell on clause) and we pocket 3 million plus for Turnbull - it opens up the question about relocation from Fir Park. 

Its been on the agenda for 20 years now, would this injection of serious cash become the catalyst to give it some traction?

Interested in all views both pro and con!

40 minutes ago, Last post by: said:

Clubs are circling Kipre at the moment with West Ham and Fenerbahce both showing signs of interest.  

Could be a big few weeks (financially) for us with a potential £200k win bonus if we progress against Glentoran and maybe more from the sell on clause we have with big Cedric.

If James Scott also moves on (with his sell on clause) and we pocket 3 million plus for Turnbull - it opens up the question about relocation from Fir Park. 

Its been on the agenda for 20 years now, would this injection of serious cash become the catalyst to give it some traction?

It really doesn't. I'd expect the first sod cut on their own training facility though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

It really doesn't. I'd expect the first sod cut on their own training facility though...

Which would make sense. Moving is a huge undertaking that takes years and will cost a fortune for any half decent stadium. I also worry about moving out of the centre of Motherwell and would rather we upgraded Fir par with a new main stand along the lines of the one at Falkirk. I know the club state it costs a fortune to keep the existing stadium going and it’s a lot easier to suggest a new stand than the actual reality of building one but I just hate new out of town stadium.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Last post by: said:

I am not in favour of moving. I look at all these new stadiums and they are soulless and all out of town.  Also if we got cash injection which was available for buying players at this moment in time I wouldn't trust Robbo with it,  this is just my opinion but I feel our scouting network has been poor. Yes we have signed a few gems but also a lot of poor signings.  I feel.Robbo has abandoned the youth set up but again that is just my opinion.   3pts tomorrow and he will be back in the good books...COYW 

4 hours ago, GazzyB said:

We get £200k if we beat Glentoran? Any more info on that?

According to wikipedia, for the 2019/20 competition the payouts were as follows:

• Preliminary round: €220,000
  • First qualifying round: €240,000
  • Second qualifying round: €260,000
  • Third qualifying round: €280,000
  • Play-off round elimination: €300,000
  • Base fee for group stage: €2,920,000
  • Group match victory: €570,000
  • Group match draw: €190,000
  • Group winners: €1,000,000
  • Group runners-up: €500,000
  • Round of 32: €500,000
  • Round of 16: €1,100,000
  • Quarter-finals: €1,500,000
  • Semi-finals: €2,400,000
  • Runner-ups: €4,500,000
  • Champions: €8,500,000

On 8/14/2020 at 10:20 PM, Kat said:

Sadly we have lost another legend as Tom Forsyth has passed away. It's been a horrible few months for some true 'Well legends.

He was one of those people who always had time for fans, happy to chat and sign programmes etc, it's nice when you find out your heroes are good people.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GazzyB said:

We get £200k if we beat Glentoran? Any more info on that?

There was a similar discussion on P&B on the accruing of prize money. Glentoran have pocketed close to half a million for beating a Faroe team, as the money is paid per round appearance and not just whatever round you get to. 

16 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Which would make sense. Moving is a huge undertaking that takes years and will cost a fortune for any half decent stadium. I also worry about moving out of the centre of Motherwell and would rather we upgraded Fir par with a new main stand along the lines of the one at Falkirk. I know the club state it costs a fortune to keep the existing stadium going and it’s a lot easier to suggest a new stand than the actual reality of building one but I just hate new out of town stadium.

100%. I hate the banality of new stadia. I’d be in support of redeveloping Fir Park on a stand by stand basis, as we certainly have the capacity to function with any 3 from 4 stands open at any time. I think a bit of coherence between the stands would be good as opposed to the current mish-mash (as full of character as that is), and it would also be good to look at redeveloping some of the surrounding land (behind south stand, astros behind east) into some sort of ‘fan zone’ that would massively contribute to match day experience. 

It would also be a crying shame to have to leave the Cooper, O’Donnell and Hunter stands behind. 

35 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

100%. I hate the banality of new stadia. I’d be in support of redeveloping Fir Park on a stand by stand basis, as we certainly have the capacity to function with any 3 from 4 stands open at any time. I think a bit of coherence between the stands would be good as opposed to the current mish-mash (as full of character as that is), and it would also be good to look at redeveloping some of the surrounding land (behind south stand, astros behind east) into some sort of ‘fan zone’ that would massively contribute to match day experience. 

It would also be a crying shame to have to leave the Cooper, O’Donnell and Hunter stands behind. 

Redeveloping Fir Park isn’t practical, costs to meet current legislation & restrictive location are prohibitive.

Zero opportunity to redevelop behind South stand & designed as such for a reason.