Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

37 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Especially when you see news like Aston Villa just signing Arsenal's 2nd string keeper for £20 million.

Transfers between English clubs, specifically the premiership ones are nowhere near normal, they just add zero's to the end of the fee agreed, irrespective of whether the player is actually any good or not.

12 hours ago, Shaka said:

Its absolutely crazy to think we never got a penny in transfer fees for either keeper! 

Yep great example of when our business model doesn't work.  Sign Randolph for nowt on 3yr deal.....Gillespie for nowt on 2 yr deal....see them honour full contract and we get hee haw  money....brilliant 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Yep great example of when our business model doesn't work.  Sign Randolph for nowt on 3yr deal.....Gillespie for nowt on 2 yr deal....see them honour full contract and we get hee haw  money....brilliant 

Apart from 5 years of solid goalkeeping which lead to a couple of successful seasons.
It’s not all about cash return although that would have been a bonus. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Is the business model not partly about getting players that should/could be playing at a higher level, and give them a platform to put themselves in the shop window? I'd say it's working spot on in that respect.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

As I recall at the time nobody wanted to buy Randolph, no bids received so he saw out his contract. It was the same with Gillespie.

Yes we signed them for nothing but at the time Motherwell was probably the best deal both of them had on offer, so if nobody else  thinks they are worth a punt then you  can't blame the clubs business model if they see out their contracts and leave for free

Randolph was given several contract extensions probably at wages higher than we should really have been paying on the assumption that someone would come in for him, same with Hutchinson.

The fact that no one did was a reflection on the english clubs scouting system at the time. That appears to have changed and theres now a realisation at some clubs that there are bargains to he had buying from non old firm SPL clubs.

4 hours ago, Stu92 said:

Is the business model not partly about getting players that should/could be playing at a higher level, and give them a platform to put themselves in the shop window? I'd say it's working spot on in that respect.

Yep totally agree its giving them a platform but I wouldn't say it worked if we then get no return.  And before folk start having a go I know it has worked  ie. Louis....Johnson....Kipre and others. It is just my own opinion..COYW

38 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Yep totally agree its giving them a platform but I wouldn't say it worked if we then get no return.  And before folk start having a go I know it has worked  ie. Louis....Johnson....Kipre and others. It is just my own opinion..COYW

The return is anything we achieved while they were here. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ropy said:

The return is anything we achieved while they were here. 

Exactly.

While part of the model is to develop players we can sell on, that won't (and can't) be the case for every player we develop or sign. First and foremost we need players that will perform in the first team every week. Professional football is supposed to provide entertainment, not shopping.

If we sign a player for free and they contribute for a couple of years before moving on, then that was value for money. Same as when any of the rest of us change jobs without our ex employer receving a transfer fee.

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

It would seem from this topic and previous posts about the Academy that the model is only successful if every player signed results in a sale and there has to be an Academy player first team ready to slot in as and when required.

That is some bar you're setting Grizzly!

• Like 1