Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

4 hours ago, wellowell said:

Watching the old firm game if Turnbull can only get 6 minutes with Celtic so poor and so many players out as well don’t see him getting a lot of game time this season . He is young and has time on his side but looks like this will be a long frustrating season for him.

He will be getting well paid for sitting on the bench. Don’t worry he’ll be ok. 

Turnbull's spent his entire footballing career at Fir Park and his senior career consists of playing in Motherwell systems. Arsene Wenger used to reckon it took a minimum of 6 months for a player to adapt to a new club in the same league, and longer if you switched leagues.

One thing he's definitely missing is game time. He hasn't had many competitive minutes since his long lay-off and unlike us, Celtic aren't going to rush him into starting.

I still think he'd have been better off switching leagues, but I'm sure he'll do just fine at Celtic.

Lennon doesn't seem to like putting new players in the team. Greg Taylor was MIA for months after he signed for big money and there are loads of players Celtic have signed who never get near the first team.

Before Covid Callum McGregor had played the most football of any player in Europe which is mental when you consider the opportunities they have to rotate the squad. 

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Lennon doesn't seem to like putting new players in the team. Greg Taylor was MIA for months after he signed for big money and there are loads of players Celtic have signed who never get near the first team.

Before Covid Callum McGregor had played the most football of any player in Europe which is mental when you consider the opportunities they have to rotate the squad. 

That's also true. Celtic sometimes seem to buy Scottish youngsters just to stop rivals signing them. Lewis Morgan is another recent example

55 minutes ago, weeyin said:

That's also true. Celtic sometimes seem to buy Scottish youngsters just to stop rivals signing them. Lewis Morgan is another recent example

And Taylor as well to an extent. Benched yesterday for a kid in their biggest League game so far.  Doesn't seem t affect their chances of a cap though. Jack Hendy being a classic example.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

It's not just Scottish players. They have a guy in the squad Soro who they paid £2 million for in January and he has only played 16 minutes.

The reluctance to bring Turnbull off the bench during an abysmal Celtic performance yesterday suggests to me that he isn’t up to speed yet. He looked out of sorts in Perth and then couldn’t get a game in front of Campbell, Ferguson of McCrorie for a crunch u21 match against Czech Rep. 

He’ll come good but he wasn’t exactly flying when he departed Fir Park. 

No idea what prompted me to do so but I’ve just checked out (on LiveScore so not sure how accurate it is) Chris Cadden’s league appearances for Columbus this season and it doesn’t make for very good reading.
18 games into their season and he’s started once and got subbed off after 78 minutes. He then had an appearance as a 90th minute sub and another as a 78th minute sub. He’s been on the bench for all other games bar one where he was nowhere to be seen (injured?). It looks like a total of 90 mins plus some stoppage time in 17 matches. He surely can’t be happy with that. 

1 hour ago, livivoice said:

Goal king Danny Johnson nets winner tonight for the O' s.

Again.

8 in 10 now. 

8 goals in 14 starts for us. 

7 in 13 starts for Dundee. 

The guy said he was confident he'd score goals wherever he went and he's not wrong. 

9 hours ago, Sieb Dykstra said:

No idea what prompted me to do so but I’ve just checked out (on LiveScore so not sure how accurate it is) Chris Cadden’s league appearances for Columbus this season and it doesn’t make for very good reading.
18 games into their season and he’s started once and got subbed off after 78 minutes. He then had an appearance as a 90th minute sub and another as a 78th minute sub. He’s been on the bench for all other games bar one where he was nowhere to be seen (injured?). It looks like a total of 90 mins plus some stoppage time in 17 matches. He surely can’t be happy with that. 

And he's getting paid less than he was at Fir Park. 

35 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Was the fault not more to do with Columbus rather than the player?

He obviously knew what the plan between Columbus and Oxford was he just didn't expect it to be scrapped by MLS.

He has obviously been badly advised but the buck stops with him. I'd still have him back though. 

57 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Tried to shaft us out of compo, and now stuck on the bench in the middle of USA. Shame that.

Yip, Fuck him. Been terribly advised to the detriment of his career. Hard to feel sorry for him when he shafted us out of hundreds of thousands

14 hours ago, Sieb Dykstra said:

I'd hazard a guess that they've realised that he isnae very good

I thought Columbus still need to pay us? It's just the amount that is in dispute because the MLS wanted to categorize their teams as Tier 4 and we need to go through the FIFA appeals process (which is slow).

Blaming the player is ridiculous. His contract was up and he needed a job. There wasn't exactly a flood of offers and I'd be amazed if a single poster on here changed jobs based on how well-off that would leave their previous employer.  (In fact most posters on here didn't know the MLS only signed up for the FIFA compensation scheme in April this year, but now they are all experts in football law and expect Cadden to be the same).

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Blaming the player is ridiculous. His contract was up and he needed a job. There wasn't exactly a flood of offers and I'd be amazed if a single poster on here changed jobs based on how well-off that would leave their previous employer.  (In fact most posters on here didn't know the MLS only signed up for the FIFA compensation scheme in April this year, but now they are all experts in football law and expect Cadden to be the same).

No matter how naive you are when your agent tells you to sign for a team in the USA for the league minimum without even visiting and you'll be loaned to Oxford then they will sign you permanently later but there's no guarantee alarm bells should have been ringing.