Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

26 minutes ago, steelboy said:

No matter how naive you are when your agent tells you to sign for a team in the USA for the league minimum without even visiting and you'll be loaned to Oxford then they will sign you permanently later but there's no guarantee alarm bells should have been ringing.

Maybe they were. Or maybe he just didn't get any better offers, and thought it might be worth taking a punt on a bit of an adventure anyway.

Cadden’s injury came at a really bad time. That combined with the required compensation would have significantly reduced his options at the end of his contract. He could easily have stayed at Motherwell for another year but was well within his rights to experience a new way of life in America. It’s just a shame it hasn’t worked out for him as well as the likes of Lewis Morgan who is doing excellent in Miami. 

If he can’t force his way into the Columbus’ team, it would be no surprise to see him end up at the likes of Hibs, Aberdeen or Hearts. 

5 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Cadden’s injury came at a really bad time. That combined with the required compensation would have significantly reduced his options at the end of his contract. He could easily have stayed at Motherwell for another year but was well within his rights to experience a new way of life in America. It’s just a shame it hasn’t worked out for him as well as the likes of Lewis Morgan who is doing excellent in Miami. 

If he can’t force his way into the Columbus’ team, it would be no surprise to see him end up at the likes of Hibs, Aberdeen or Hearts. 

He will have no body of work to display to an upper tier team, he will end up at St Mirren.

16 hours ago, numpty said:

Maybe they were. Or maybe he just didn't get any better offers, and thought it might be worth taking a punt on a bit of an adventure anyway.

You mean except the one at the club he was at? 

Cadden joined the MLS to get to the English leagues cheaper - it didn't quite work out for him.  Oh dear, how sad.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

There will be interest on the back of his Scotland performances. 

Also its a different market in January, less available players so someone that's been playing regularly and is available for a permanent signing without a fee is an attractive option.

Though his current (club) form won't attract interest at the level I think k he thinks he should be at.

I wasn't sad to see Cadden go. 

The guy went backwards at a rate of knots after his injury and never really fitted into Robinson's style of play.  He's a trier but his ability as a footballer was draining away and I think we should at least aspire to bring in a better standard of player. 

It won't always work out that way but I'm prepared to accept that rather than settle for mediocrity.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 10:46 AM, wellowell said:

Watching the old firm game if Turnbull can only get 6 minutes with Celtic so poor and so many players out as well don’t see him getting a lot of game time this season . He is young and has time on his side but looks like this will be a long frustrating season for him.

Christie didn't get into the Celtic team right away and now he's their best player (at least while Edouard is in the huff).  

There is a huge gap between our level and their level and there aren't many players that can bridge it without a period of adjustment.

Guys that never play get better with every game that passes.

Guys that upset the fans when they leave were never that good.

Personally I thought he was a decent player that contributed to some of the team's better moments and more than earned his move.

• Like 4

Noticed that PJ Morrison came on for Falkirk on Saturday after their keeper got sent off.  That led me to glance at their squad and noticed a fair smattering of former Motherwell players. Saturday featured Ben Hall, Morgaro Gomis, Conor Sammon and Robbie Leitch. Next week will probably see their third choice keeper on the bench who is apparently also on loan from us (if wikipedia is to be believed)....

1 minute ago, Wellfan90 said:

I see that Ben Heneghan is still without a club after being reportedly set for a number of championship moves around July. I wonder if he’d do us a turn until January with our injury worries. Would you have him ? 

Absolutely.

2 hours ago, Wellfan90 said:

I see that Ben Heneghan is still without a club after being reportedly set for a number of championship moves around July. I wonder if he’d do us a turn until January with our injury worries. Would you have him ? 

In goals?

9 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Signing Heneghan would be frankly ridiculous. Our squad is already on the large side. The fact that Mugabi, Dunne, Carroll, Donnelly and Lamie are injured doesn't mean we're not paying their wages...

"Frankly ridiculous" is perhaps overstating it.  Signing a free-agent defender on a short-term contract until January for cover in Heneghan is not massively dissimilar to signing a free-agent on a contract to January in O'Donnell.

That all said I do actually agree with you it's an unnecessary signing.