Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

4 hours ago, livivoice said:

Danny Johnson scored again. 

Did we miss a trick here?

Future quiz question.  Q - Which striker scored on his starting debut, then scored against Rangers and Celtic and had 8 goals in 14 starts before being dumped?  A - Danny Johnson

I thought he was decent but he did struggle a bit playing in the formation. 

3 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Future quiz question.  Q - Which striker scored on his starting debut, then scored against Rangers and Celtic and had 8 goals in 14 starts before being dumped?  A - Danny Johnson

I thought he was decent but he did struggle a bit playing in the formation. 

Always said he was a finisher, but his face didnt fit wi Robbo

53 minutes ago, Ballso said:

Some mount of revisionism in this thread over the last 24 hours...

Hows that? I dont see anybody saying he is the second coming. But the guy scores goals, thats undeniable. At the moment, apart from Tony Watt, Id have Danny Johnson ahead of any other striker we have, unfortunately that says more about how poor our current strikers are than about how great Johnson is

25 minutes ago, Ballso said:

I’m sure if you go back over a year on this bird, there will be plenty examples of Johnson, Frear, etc being classed as not good enough. 

just because they’re scoring goals elsewhere does not make them any better than they were.

They are no better than they were and are still decent players but playing at a lower level, so they are bound to do well.

22 hours ago, livivoice said:

Danny Johnson scored again. 

Did we miss a trick here?

No.

While I liked Johnson, and he scored some excellent goals, he was about as consistent as the current strikers.

If you look at his track record, League Two and the Conference are where he has thrived.

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

No.

While I liked Johnson, and he scored some excellent goals, he was about as consistent as the current strikers.

If you look at his track record, League Two and the Conference are where he has thrived.

When Long joined I thought he was a Danny Johnson clone

4 hours ago, GazzyB said:

McCall is my favourite Motherwell manager of all time. Would love to have him back.

A decent, good honest pro and thoroughly nice fella . He just ran out of ideas and from memory he had his budget sliced. 

I don't think he'd move us forward - he's been back to Bradford a few times over and never really progressed them.  

48 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

A decent, good honest pro and thoroughly nice fella . He just ran out of ideas and from memory he had his budget sliced. 

I don't think he'd move us forward - he's been back to Bradford a few times over and never really progressed them.  

I was massive McCall fan but yep wouldn't have him back. I still say anyone who got us to 2nd place in 2013-14 with that squad is a genius.  COYW

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GazzyB said:

McCall is my favourite Motherwell manager of all time. Would love to have him back.

Will always be rembered as the manager who took an average looking squad of players and got Motherwell into the champions league.

Although that "average squad" was a lot better than what we have now.

• Like 2

Even when we were getting into the Champions League there were still a large number of posters on here complaining about the style we played, how poorly McCall used his subs, how he was too loyal to under-performing players and how he never had a Plan B.

I remember saying at the time to enjoy it while it lasted as challenging for the top 2 (or 3) was by the far the exception to our league performances and when it was over things would be much less exciting.