Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

5 hours ago, Spiderpig said:Although that "average squad" was a lot better than what we have now.

Was it? This is the XI for that famous game at Pittodrie:

• 1Hollis
  • 2Reid
  • 3Hammell
  • 14Lasley
  • 5Hutchinson
  • 6McManusSubstituted forMcFaddenat 76'minutes
  • 25AinsworthSubstituted forAnierat 18'minutes
  • 11VigursBooked at 41minsSubstituted forLeitchat 72'minutes
  • 9Sutton
  • 20Kerr
  • 17Francis-Angol

I reckon Hutchison, Ainsworth and Sutton would get into our current XI from that lot, when you consider the ages of Hammell and Lasley at that time.

Make no mistake- that team he took to second in the league was mediocre at best, with some absolute dross in amongst it.

1 hour ago, Frazzie said:

• 1Hollis
  • 2Reid
  • 3Hammell
  • 14Lasley
  • 5Hutchinson
  • 9Sutton
  • 20Kerr
  • 17Francis-Angol

I reckon Hutchison, Ainsworth and Sutton would get into our current XI from that lot, when you consider the ages of Hammell and Lasley at that time.

Make no mistake- that team he took to second in the league was mediocre at best, with some absolute dross in amongst it.

That Aberdeen game was one of the most emotional games I watched on the telly.  My dad had been diagnosed with cancer the day before, when well scored that goal the two of us went mad.  He sadly passed away only 3 months later but I always have that memory.  Remember folks for all the frustrating times we have as well fans it is only a game of fitba  ......COYW

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Frazzie said:

• 1Hollis
  • 2Reid
  • 3Hammell
  • 14Lasley
  • 5Hutchinson
  • 9Sutton
  • 20Kerr
  • 17Francis-Angol

I loved it when he took the central defender off and pushed the full backs up, Hutch cover us at the back big man.

• Like 1

Still one of my greatest moments as a Well fan. Would definitely make my top 10!

The game was shite, but having got up at 6am to drive north, the goal and absolute scenes at the end were worth it and will live with me forever!

McAllister and Craigen giving it large in the commentary box was also brilliant!

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

The celebrations at full time -unforgettable,  

McInnes’s rage about the goal ever since  - priceless  :)

I always point out that if the goal hadn’t stood it was a penalty to us.  The first action in the box as the ball is played in is for Hutchy to get yanked back.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ropy said:

I always point out that if the goal hadn’t stood it was a penalty to us.  The first action in the box as the ball is played in is for Hutchy to get yanked back.

Aberdeen fans dont like to hear that! :P

15 hours ago, ropy said:

That was not the blatant penalty  Mark Reynolds handled the ball on the line before Reid  scored. 

19 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

That was not the blatant penalty  Mark Reynolds handled the ball on the line before Reid  scored. 

Yeah but they always point to the "foul" on the keeper, which came before Reynolds handball but after Hutchinsons shirt getting pulled.

Their more righteous anger was their goal that was chopped off for offside despite being miles on.

Still the best thing I've ever seen on TV, well the last 2 minutes and 5 minutes after the match. The 88 minutes before was grim.

2 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Yeah but they always point to the "foul" on the keeper, which came before Reynolds handball but after Hutchinsons shirt getting pulled.

Their more righteous anger was their goal that was chopped off for offside despite being miles on.

Still the best thing I've ever seen on TV, well the last 2 minutes and 5 minutes after the match. The 88 minutes before was grim.

I stood right up beside my telly and played this over again but looking at a different individual each time. It was pure theatre.  Faddy turned away celebrating before the goal is scored.  The defenders rushed the ref when the ball was still bouncing in their six yard box.  Lasley stealing 10 yards after the original taker was told to put the ball back.  Aberdeen actually set up a wall.

I need to go back and watch it again.

• Like 3

I watched it in a sports bar on a small Greek island that very few will have heard of. I had gone in the day before (any excuses for a beer) to check they would show it, and the owner put it on a telly in the corner running from a laptop just for me. The other TVs were showing tennis, formula one and a couple of English games, but something finished before the goal and the owner changed that TV to the 'well game but it was running ahead of the computer feed. As the game was almost finished, I just kept watching the computer feed and when the goal went in I assumed it would be chopped off so I wasn't too excited at first but because the other TV was ahead, I kept looking over and the goal seemed to be being allowed. By the time I knew the goal was good, it was too late for a jump around so I just sat and pished myself laughing instead. Great day.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 8:08 PM, grumpy said:

I watched it in a sports bar on a small Greek island that very few will have heard of. I had gone in the day before (any excuses for a beer) to check they would show it, and the owner put it on a telly in the corner running from a laptop just for me. The other TVs were showing tennis, formula one and a couple of English games, but something finished before the goal and the owner changed that TV to the 'well game but it was running ahead of the computer feed. As the game was almost finished, I just kept watching the computer feed and when the goal went in I assumed it would be chopped off so I wasn't too excited at first but because the other TV was ahead, I kept looking over and the goal seemed to be being allowed. By the time I knew the goal was good, it was too late for a jump around so I just sat and pished myself laughing instead. Great day.

I watched it from the Richard Donald stand, best feeling ever (well, maybe since 1991 and the play-off games!) but I didn't think it was appropriate (or maybe I was too much of a shitebag) to celebrate!!

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

What a sad attitude to have, anyway its not going to happen Celtic 2 up and never been out of 1st gear, Hearts are outclassed big time.

Ah spiderpig , the one who asked if a Hamilton match at fir park was all ticket.  Lol  .My opinions are nothing to do with you

Let's all jump up and with delight because David  Turnbull has got a cup winners medal. I think not. Anyone who isn't a Celtic or Hibs fan should have been willing Hearts on. 

Turnbull played half the game and did little other than take good set pieces.  

I would like him to do well only as an individual because they might sell him for big money and we get a cut but I would be more comfortable rooting for him if he was playing for Norwich not the second most horrible club in the country. 

• Like 1