Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

2 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

All I am going to say is he should have left in November showed us a bit more respect as he always bangs on how much he holds the club dearly.

Sorry but our board were over generous with him he left us in this mess he should have resigned weeks before he did cause it sounds like he gave up tbh.

The improvements under Alexander have been staggering maybe Robinson was the problem and not the players.

Really? I would have supported Robinson until his inexcusable behaviour last night. I don’t buy improvements have been staggering at all... Alexander reckons just moderate change required. Has worked with Robinson’s transfer targets with no real sign of any change for me. Have we really been any better than the game at Tannadice? Ross County the other night was the exception rather than the rule.

3 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Really? I would have supported Robinson until his inexcusable behaviour last night. I don’t buy improvements have been staggering at all... Alexander reckons just moderate change required. Has worked with Robinson’s transfer targets with no real sign of any change for me. Have we really been any better than the game at Tannadice? Ross County the other night was the exception rather than the rule.

Alexander has only had 4 games. I am not sure how anyone can deem one game to be an exception in such a short space of time. 

In fact we battled very well v Rangers. That dick Madden aside we possibly should have won at St Mirren. We have Polworth to thank for being less able to battle back at Aberdeen rather than the management team. 

I was a supporter of Robinson up until he resigned. I will listen to the BBC podcast this morning as I am curious to hear what constitutes inexcusable behaviour. 

Robinson is clearly touting for a job and will say anything that will make him sound like he did an excellent job under trying circumstances at Motherwell. Most of us acknowledge that he did do a good job. 

29 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Really? I would have supported Robinson until his inexcusable behaviour last night. I don’t buy improvements have been staggering at all... Alexander reckons just moderate change required. Has worked with Robinson’s transfer targets with no real sign of any change for me. Have we really been any better than the game at Tannadice? Ross County the other night was the exception rather than the 

Sorry but have you been watching the same Motherwell games since  Alexander took over?We have something under Alexander that we haven't had for a while ie fight in them.That Ross County alone could prove to be biggest result of the season went behind came back to win.

Be four losses under Robinson good chance sitting rock bottom if he had still been in charge.

3 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Alexander has only had 4 games. I am not sure how anyone can deem one game to be an exception in such a short space of time. 

In fact we battled very well v Rangers. That dick Madden aside we possibly should have won at St Mirren. We have Polworth to thank for being less able to battle back at Aberdeen rather than the management team. 

I was a supporter of Robinson up until he resigned. I will listen to the BBC podcast this morning as I am curious to hear what constitutes inexcusable behaviour. 

Robinson is clearly touting for a job and will say anything that will make him sound like he did an excellent job under trying circumstances at Motherwell. Most of us acknowledge that he did do a good job. 

Those who know me, know I was a supporter of Robinson also, certainly acknowledging his achievements. What I find inexcusable is throwing a young kid under the bus to hide his failings regardless wether touting for a job or not. I expect he’s in for a difficult call today given who represents him...

Being pragmatic, Rangers had an off day. Yes, we defended resolutely and were worthy of our point. Not so much at Aberdeen. Paisley seen the same inherent problems of dropping deeper & deeper inviting the opposition onto us regardless of refereeing decisions. Bit of leadership would have us playing even 10 yards further forward - that would be a change.

1 hour ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Sorry but have you been watching the same Motherwell games since  Alexander took over?We have something under Alexander that we haven't had for a while ie fight in them.That Ross County alone could prove to be biggest result of the season went behind came back to win.

Be four losses under Robinson good chance sitting rock bottom if he had still been in charge.

I have, yes if just to suit your sycophantic approach. 

Yes, Wednesday’s result may well be season defining - I’m just knowledgeable enough to see one swallow doesn’t make a summer, hence, I felt it was an exception from the others.

You cannot guarantee we would be sat with 4 defeats from Robinson. Unless I’m missing something.

37 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Those who know me, know I was a supporter of Robinson also, certainly acknowledging his achievements. What I find inexcusable is throwing a young kid under the bus to hide his failings regardless wether touting for a job or not. I expect he’s in for a difficult call today given who represents him...

Robinson certainly had his achievements as you say OTF, and these shouldn't be underestimated. But, depending on how things pan out this season he may also be remembered for leaving us in a bit of a state; hopefully not.

I agree 100% about throwing a young lad under a bus. We need to foster youth and give them their chance in the right games and at the right time. GA has made some changes but only modest ones so far and I sincerely hope he gives youth its opportunity.  I do feel sorry for our young lads this season with no reserve team. 

11 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

In his interview tonight he said he had to bring on a young guy late in the game and that basically cost us the win. Easy enough to work out who he meant. Yeah, I recall him blaming the more experienced guys at the time.

Too much of that for me: I'm not blaming anyone, but - and, the buck stops with me, but I didn't do anything wrong.

He's walked away saying there are guys in that dressing room who don't want to be there. He won't name names, obviously, so that leaves just about every player under suspicion. 

As for his mumping about the strain dealing with covid put on him, now he's nice and refreshed and relaxed, mibbe he could do a few shifts in a hospital and take that clown Lennon with him.

I thought his time was up but I had a lot of respect for him. That's diminishing every time he opens his mouth.

Haven’t heard the interview....... but in the relation to what  bb has said above, at the time I thought it was a bizarre decision to bring on the young Dean at the time , when you take into consideration the terrible run we were on and  bring on a player who had not kicked a ball all season ,  not as if there wasn’t another midfielder on the bench, ie McGuire who he had brought on the previous game against the sheep late in the game.....or his wonderful McGinley..........extremely poor  pointing the finger at somebody else......it was his decision 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Being pragmatic, Rangers had an off day. Yes, we defended resolutely and were worthy of our point. Not so much at Aberdeen. Paisley seen the same inherent problems of dropping deeper & deeper inviting the opposition onto us regardless of refereeing decisions. Bit of leadership would have us playing even 10 yards further forward - that would be a change.

I listened to the podcast and I found it hard to disagree with any points or comments he made. In general he talks up the club and the support he was given whilst Manager. 
On the subject of bringing a young lad on at Dundee United. I tend to agree with you on that one. I am quite sure there were other more experienced options. If it was a mistake then that was on Robbo. 
As he mentions nearly 7 years at Motherwell and 4 as Manager. A break was required for him and more so for the club and players. Not forgetting some vocal fans on this site...

In my opinion he did a good job and wish him well wherever he goes as long as it is not to one of our rivals. 

• Like 3

I would absolutely love it if Aberdeen sacked McInness and hired Robinson. Quickly realizing they were stuck with his shite instead of the greatest coach in football (in his mind) would be delightful.

Seeing the sheep beilin while he goes thro the repertoire, "I take full responsibility, but........" , "Im not going to make excuses, but........." , " I cant fault the players, but......" , "Were a Young squad (with an ave age of 27!)" , "We go again" :lol:

18 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I listened to the podcast and I found it hard to disagree with any points or comments he made. In general he talks up the club and the support he was given whilst Manager. 
On the subject of bringing a young lad on at Dundee United. I tend to agree with you on that one. I am quite sure there were other more experienced options. If it was a mistake then that was on Robbo. 
As he mentions nearly 7 years at Motherwell and 4 as Manager. A break was required for him and more so for the club and players. Not forgetting some vocal fans on this site...

In my opinion he did a good job and wish him well wherever he goes as long as it is not to one of our rivals. 

His interview aligned with that hosted by Ben Banks with the exception of the reference to one of our developing players. Was no need, I’d wager I’m not the only one to think same. Like I said, he’ll have a difficult call to field today at some point. I’ve been assured of that.

Undoubtedly did a good job. Certainly a bit of respect lost in our circle & others I've spoken to today.

A move to a rival would cost him money if information is correct.

I listened to the interview this morning. As someone who supported Robbo right to the end, I have no issues with most of it. Just an out of work manager touting himself for a job.  Made mostly favourable comments about the club.

The points I would pick him up on would be Cornelius. There was no need to mention that particularly as it is just false. I remember on the night thinking it was a crazy decision given the scoreline and the time left to play when he had shown absolutely no interest in playing the young boy in previous  games. There were other more experienced players on the bench he could have used. But then, it wasnt the first time (or last) I thought his subs were bonkers.

The other part was the "some players didnt want to be here, we were their only option" before trying to bring it back and saying "but they are a good bunch of lads".  It cant be both.

Firstly, why sign someone in those circumstances? Thats just bad management and highlights his mistakes and secondly, why say it at all?

Overall, doesnt really change my opinion of him. He was a generally decent guy, with decent management skills but some quite obvious flaws which allowed him to be available on our budget. If Alexander proves to be better than Robinson he probably wont be here too long as someone else will pay him more money.

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I listened to the interview this morning. As someone who supported Robbo right to the end, I have no issues with most of it. Just an out of work manager touting himself for a job.  Made mostly favourable comments about the club.

The points I would pick him up on would be Cornelius. There was no need to mention that particularly as it is just false. I remember on the night thinking it was a crazy decision given the scoreline and the time left to play when he had shown absolutely no interest in playing the young boy in previous  games. There were other more experienced players on the bench he could have used. But then, it wasnt the first time (or last) I thought his subs were bonkers.

The other part was the "some players didnt want to be here, we were their only option" before trying to bring it back and saying "but they are a good bunch of lads".  It cant be both.

Firstly, why sign someone in those circumstances? Thats just bad management and highlights his mistakes and secondly, why say it at all?

Overall, doesnt really change my opinion of him. He was a generally decent guy, with decent management skills but some quite obvious flaws which allowed him to be available on our budget. If Alexander proves to be better than Robinson he probably wont be here too long as someone else will pay him more money.

I listened to the interview and didn't interpret his reference to Young Cornelious as " throwing him under the bus" . I might've missed it but he didn't say that's what cost us the points.

He did say we shouldve been 3 or 4 up in that game , which was true. 

14 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I listened to the interview and didn't interpret his reference to Young Cornelious as " throwing him under the bus" . I might've missed it but he didn't say that's what cost us the points.

He did say we shouldve been 3 or 4 up in that game , which was true. 

"....we end up losing a goal in the last minute after bringing a young player on"

If you were Dean Cornelius, how would you feel about that statement? Robinson's made plenty comments about more senior guys not wanting to be at Fir Park, but he never names them. 'Throwing them under the bus' was his own description of publicly criticising players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

"....we end up losing a goal in the last minute after bringing a young player on"

If you were Dean Cornelius, how would you feel about that statement? Robinson's made plenty comments about more senior guys not wanting to be at Fir Park, but he never names them. 'Throwing them under the bus' was his own description of publicly criticising players.

He said in ben Banks interview about game in Israel that an experienced player list his man just before ht, when we had been doing well.

Also dundee utd game before we lost goal a player list ball instead of keeping in corner.

Both times it was Steven Steven Odonnell,  who I dont particularly rate , but robbo did call him out.

1 minute ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

He said in ben Banks interview about game in Israel that an experienced player list his man just before ht, when we had been doing well.

Also dundee utd game before we lost goal a player list ball instead of keeping in corner.

Both times it was Steven Steven Odonnell,  who I dont particularly rate , but robbo did call him out.

Yeah, I was under the impression he had blamed O'Donnell at the time, which made what he said last night even more pointless. He didn't blame him directly, but anyone listening who doesn't follow us as closely as we do, would certainly have got the impression the young guy was somehow responsible. Could be down to a poor choice of words, but I think some of the stuff he's getting into would be better left till the summer at least. 

The big question for me is how he got his heid oot the door?

I feel Robbo is a bit full of himself,   yes brought us highs and one of his best signings who was Aldred.  However some of his comments riled me,  the he couldn't handle another transfer window,  basically cos he made an arse of the last one, the Mcginley has great attributes  eh?  And the Cornelius comment which was ridiculous.   Robbo started games with guys that should be nowhere near first team. Anyway he isnt manager now and we all get behind GA who I think will be a great appointment 

• Like 2

Just received a Society email, as no doubt many of you did, which mentions, amongst other things, Chris Cadden's deal. According to the email

"The club came to an agreement with MLS / Columbus Crew to settle the case with Chris Cadden that has allowed Motherwell FC to retain attractive on-going economic rights."

Now I know what that says but what does it mean?

15 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just received a Society email, as no doubt many of did many of you, which mentions, amongst other things, Chris Cadden's deal. According to the email

"The club came to an agreement with MLS / Columbus Crew to settle the case with Chris Cadden that has allowed Motherwell FC to retain attractive on-going economic rights."

I saw that also.......haven't a scooby 

27 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just received a Society email, as no doubt many of did many of you, which mentions, amongst other things, Chris Cadden's deal. According to the email

I'm sure in the MLS clubs own the 'rights' to players, or something like that. When Andy Rose joined Vancouver from us, they also had to pay Seattle  money as he had played for them previously and they owned the rights.

I reallyyyyyy hope that the on-going economic rights don't rely on Cadden moving back to the MLS, as I'm sure we'll be seeing no return from that one. 

Well I have been a Well society member for many years but have never had an email. I just gave up. I spoke twice to the man in charge and he ensured me my email address was correct. But still no emails. 

But that statement is gobbledegook. Did we actually get any money or just sell on rights or whatever ? Maybe we will be laughing when Hibs sell him on for £10m and we have a 40% sell on clause. Then again I doubt it...

18 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Sounded to me like we have add-ons the same way we had with guys like Marvin Johnson & Kipré i.e. cuts of their future transfers etc.

Yip. So finally its confirmed we get fuck all! Cause Cadden aint ever moving for a transfer fee again, 20% of nothing is nothing! Doesnt matter how fancy the club try to spin it, weve been utterly shafted by Cadden and his agent!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Yip. So finally its confirmed we get fuck all! Cause Cadden aint ever moving for a transfer fee again, 20% of nothing is nothing! Doesnt matter how fancy the club try to spin it, weve been utterly shafted by Cadden and his agent!

We've been a bit more creative in recent deals than just cuts of transfer fees.