Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

5 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Careful. I got slaughtered on here earlier this season for suggesting he'd walk into our first team right now...

As a centre half?

He certainly put in the effort but (and I don't say this about many 'Well players) didn't have the talent to operate at our level.  A good foil for Moult, but a Premiership goal scorer he was not. League Two and below are his level, and I'm happy for him that he continues to find success there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Careful. I got slaughtered on here earlier this season for suggesting he'd walk into our first team right now...

Given the lightweight options we have at the moment up top, I think he would he would walk into the team, he'd certainly put more effort in than Long., win more balls into the box to provide some decent chances for Cole and Watt.

30 goals in 81 appearances (if you believe Wikipedia), plus another couple of years experience under his belt, means he'd definitely be worth a start for us at the mo. 

But again, it all comes down to supply. Outside of Tony Watt, we have zero to little creativity, making our front three very easy to play against. The only team that have made us look like a proper, dangerous attacking side this season were County at Fir Park. Since then, teams have nullified Watt for the most part and with no wingers or proper outballs, whoever has played through the middle has struggled. 

Cole's confidence and hold-up play has improved since Alexander has come in and he's scored from areas you'd expect a striker to score from. Long has looked a bit livelier as well, but for the most part - set pieces aside -  they are having to carve out opportunities for themselves instead of getting on the end of passes, crosses or neat interplay.

If we could make better/more chances,  Bowman or a Bowman-type would get among the goals for us.

He's not better than Cole or Watt and a totally different player to Long. If we don't play a three up front (which is now the agreed wisdom on this forum since we'reover run with 3 in midfield) then I don't see how he walks in to this team.

A good option but he's not going to be in any different a position than what he was when he was with us previously. Third choice striker.

15 minutes ago, milo said:

Robinson and McCall on sportsound there. Really interesting listen. Robinson still speaks like he’s the Motherwell manager.

Both McCall and Robinson heaping praise on the backroom team on the way they get supported. Robinson calling for more outside investment as the money the Well Society generate isn’t real enough to sustain us. 

Bowman was obviously at his best alongside Moult, great in that period and a very hard worker, less so when Moult left.  Would I have him back ? Sadly I probably would although any striker is going to suffer with a none existing midfield and that’s what we have just now. Even Campbell was twice the player he is now when Bowman was about, what I would give for another Gorrin, a class above anything we have at the moment.

10 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I did ask on here if it could maybe have worked out differently for him if he'd got a goal early in his Motherwell career.  I was laughed at. Apparently all he needed was to be part of a well functioning team....

Looks like he could keep County up single handedly the way hes going