Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

The u21 striker has been Hornby and the u19s have had Dapo Mebude up front. There is also Kyle Joseph from Wigan in the youth squads. None of them qualify under Weeyin's purity law. None of them are that great which shows how badly we are doing at bringing through goal scorers.

You're making my argument here. Instead of the SFA investing in the infrastructure to develop Scottish players, they depend on substandard non-Scottish players to fill the gaps they created.

As far as your ridiculous "purity law" statement goes - that's kind of the point of international football. If you want to see players from different countries playing in the same team there are one or two other options available.

29 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Re the list of players whom you say we have missed out on, McGeady never wanted to play for Scotland. His parents are Irish, he felt Irish, so he chose them. No issues with that. Likewise McCarthy got selected for Ireland when he was a youth, and chose to stay loyal to them for giving him his chance. Houghton and Coyne played in an era where there were Scots players of similar if not greater ability than them, they didnt miss out because of "fake Scots"

Duncan Shearer was getting caps ahead of Coyne so I don't think that's true. Roxburgh made a lot of strange selection choices and for some reason seemed to favour Aberdeen players like Shearer, Irvine and McKimmie who were pish. 

The grandparent rule levels the playing field for countries with high levels of emigration. If the SFA don't find a goalscorer from outwith Scotland it'll be another wasted decade because you can't do anything with the likes of Nesbit, Shankland, Watt, May, Kane or Clark up front. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Duncan Shearer was getting caps ahead of Coyne so I don't think that's true. Roxburgh made a lot of strange selection choices and for some reason seemed to favour Aberdeen players like Shearer, Irvine and McKimmie who were pish. 

The grandparent rule levels the playing field for countries with high levels of emigration. If the SFA don't find a goalscorer from outwith Scotland it'll be another wasted decade because you can't do anything with the likes of Nesbit, Shankland, Watt, May, Kane or Clark up front. 

Appreciate views on players can vary but to describe Mc Kimmie as pish!!!

Footballers I've heard speaking about Mc Kimmie regard him as one of the best full backs produced in Scotland over the last 30 years or so.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Coyne made his debut for Ireland in 1992 aged 31. Duncan Shearer made his debut for Scotland in 1994. Coyne was effectively trying to get capped for Scotland in an era that included Jordan, Dalglish, Andy Gray, Graham Sharp, Ally McCoist, Maurice Johnston, Charlie Nicholas. Much as I love the Cobra and would love him to have played for Scotland, thats pretty stiff competition. 

Nesbit is a young man just starting out in his career, how do you know he wont make the grade?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Anyone know what happened with the young Indian Goalkeeper we had training with is a while back

Back in Indian Football I think

21 hours ago, livivoice said:

Appreciate views on players can vary but to describe Mc Kimmie as pish!!!

Footballers I've heard speaking about Mc Kimmie regard him as one of the best full backs produced in Scotland over the last 30 years or so.

20 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Coyne made his debut for Ireland in 1992 aged 31. Duncan Shearer made his debut for Scotland in 1994. Coyne was effectively trying to get capped for Scotland in an era that included Jordan, Dalglish, Andy Gray, Graham Sharp, Ally McCoist, Maurice Johnston, Charlie Nicholas. Much as I love the Cobra and would love him to have played for Scotland, thats pretty stiff competition. 

Nesbit is a young man just starting out in his career, how do you know he wont make the grade?

Two posters in a row managing to show the pish that Steely posts :O

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The McBurnie patter does my head in as well...if he didnt want to play for Scotland, all he has to do is not bother accepting the call up

I'm not sure if that was a retort at my post or not, however I'll bite anyway.

Whilst he may well have been more prolific in the Championship prior to his ridiculously overpriced move to the EPL, a return of 7 goals in 62 games over the last two years, suggests Oli McBurnie isn't the man to get us goals.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/oliver-mcburnie/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/298477

I do however appreciate there currently isn't an abundance of players waiting to take his place in the squad that said.

54 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The McBurnie patter does my head in as well...if he didnt want to play for Scotland, all he has to do is not bother accepting the call up

He doesn't want to play for us (he's literally on video saying "it's fucking shit") but surely any international football is better than no international football for someone as utterly shite as him.

29 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I'm not sure if that was a retort at my post or not, however I'll bite anyway.

Whilst he may well have been more prolific in the Championship prior to his ridiculously overpriced move to the EPL, a return of 7 goals in 62 games over the last two years, suggests Oli McBurnie isn't the man to get us goals.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/oliver-mcburnie/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/298477

I do however appreciate there currently isn't an abundance of players waiting to take his place in the squad that said.

I can accept the argument that he isnae very good...I dont accept the argument that he doesnt feel scottish

19 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

He doesn't want to play for us (he's literally on video saying "it's fucking shit") but surely any international football is better than no international football for someone as utterly shite as him.

At that time it was fucking shit as a fan...I'd imagine there were plenty of players who thought it was a bit of a chore too. The guy is on record for years stating that he is scottish and only ever wanted to play for Scotland 

9 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

At that time it was fucking shit as a fan...I'd imagine there were plenty of players who thought it was a bit of a chore too. The guy is on record for years stating that he is scottish and only ever wanted to play for Scotland 

That's it. He won't have been the first player to say it's fucking shit, just unlucky that it's been caught on camera. Folk need to give it a rest. 

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

You only have to shag one sheep.

Or indeed have a joke about not supporting England.

These things tar you for life.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:42 AM, steelboy said:

Describing a 200+ career goal striker as pish is a real ooft moment but then following that up with by describing Stewart McKimmie as pish is hilarious.  

Won everything in the Scottish game multiple times, a European honour, three major international finals, 40 caps, 600+ club appearances.  You'd get down on your knees and pray for McKimmie/Malpas as full backs in a modern day Scotland side.

On 3/18/2021 at 2:41 PM, joewarkfanclub said:

To be fair Graeme Sharp was absolutely pish for Scotland as were a lot of the Anglo players at that time (Brian McClair, David Speedie etc) who seemed to get picked over guys like John Robertson who didn't get capped until fairly late on in his career, McCoist who struggled for ages to get a regular start, Frank McGarvey who barely featured for Scotland and Frank McDougall who never even got a cap. 

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Describing a 200+ career goal striker as pish is a real ooft moment but then following that up with by describing Stewart McKimmie as pish is hilarious.  

I only really remember him from 93 onwards when I was going to games and especially Euro 96 when he was 34 and still in the team. 

Coyne was a far better player than Duncan Shearer and also the likes of John McGinlay who was also capped around that time. 

On 3/20/2021 at 1:15 PM, steelboy said:

I only really remember him from 93 onwards when I was going to games and especially Euro 96 when he was 34 and still in the team. 

Coyne was a far better player than Duncan Shearer and also the likes of John McGinlay who was also capped around that time. 

Did you miss the bit where I posted that Coyne got capped for Ireland 2 years before Shearer got capped for Scotland?

Edit: John McGinley also gained his first cap in 1994. 

So neither of them deprived Tommy Coyne of a Scotland cap or got picked in front of him.

7 hours ago, steelboy said:

If Celtic bring in Keane as manager I don't see Turnbull making much progress as a player. 

If Keane gets the gig I don't see Celtic making much progress as a team, too big a challenge for him, his managerial record is not the best.

2 hours ago, smiddy said:

slightly of topic but i see the bold mo ross has got the ass managers gig at notts county,,,, i hope they realise how fortunate they are that he took it :danced:

I don't know anything about Maurice Ross as a coach but because he's not one of us - he's no good? I'm sure onthefringes could cast some light.

9 hours ago, wunderwell said:

I don't know anything about Maurice Ross as a coach but because he's not one of us - he's no good? I'm sure onthefringes could cast some light.

Doubt I will, be missed by some & not by others most likely. New regime, so it shouldn’t be of surprise he’s moved on - let’s see how they view development moving forward.