Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

18 hours ago, CoF said:

The guy he made the comment about isn't from Africa - he's Dutch. Intentional or not, it's reflects that "you're from Scotland, but where are you really from" attitude which is more than a hint of "you're not really Scottish in the way I am". It alienates people who have grown up in a country they consider home and that's why it's just a shite thing to say. 

If you're going to make a comment / joke that can only apply to someone based on the colour of their skin, you've got to be sensitive to how it might be taken - especially if you are in a position of authority like he was. As Maurice Ross loves to do, sounds like he's opened his mouth without thinking. 

nah, I still dont get why its " racist"....so he got the guys nationality wrong...its like mixing up an aussie and a kiwi , based on what we perceive to be similar accents . 

Like I said earlier weve come a long way , but somebody having to resign because of this does nothing for the fight against racism....anyway mo ross took the decision,  he will probably be back at fp in time,  when ga gets international job....you heard it here first.

36 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

nah, I still dont get why its " racist"....so he got the guys nationality wrong...its like mixing up an aussie and a kiwi , based on what we perceive to be similar accents . 

Like I said earlier weve come a long way , but somebody having to resign because of this does nothing for the fight against racism....anyway mo ross took the decision,  he will probably be back at fp in time,  when ga gets international job....you heard it here first.

It’s racist because he’s never saying it if he’s a white guy. He’s perpetrating a racial stereotype that black players doctor documents to make them younger. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevens said:

It’s racist because he’s never saying it if he’s a white guy. He’s perpetrating a racial stereotype that black players doctor documents to make them younger. 

I didn't know they do that ?  basically I dont think hes said anything derogatory, just that the boy was slower than he thought,  which is a bit of a back handed compliment 

I bet he feckin regrets it tho. Something to debate on a non football day tho.

2 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I didn't know they do that ?  basically I dont think hes said anything derogatory, just that the boy was slower than he thought,  which is a bit of a back handed compliment 

I bet he feckin regrets it tho. Something to debate on a non football day tho.

At the end of the day if the player in question felt it was racist we need to accept it was, even Ross has done that

• Like 3

20 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

The racist bit is used  at every opportunity, because they know people will react to it.

Maybe since you’ve got no experience as to what it’s like to live in a country that is institutionally set up to make you fail and to oppress you at every opportunity, you keep quiet on this one yeah?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2021 at 7:09 AM, yosemite sam said:

The racist bit is used  at every opportunity, because they know people will react to it.

The "racist bit" is used at every opportunity because lots of people are still saying racist things - sometimes, without realising it.  The same way that lots of people are still saying sectarian things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stevens said:

Maybe since you’ve got no experience as to what it’s like to live in a country that is institutionally set up to make you fail and to oppress you at every opportunity, you keep quiet on this one yeah?

Friend I'll say what I like, and nothing you say will change that. You have no idea where I have lived in the past, so making a stupid statement like that, knowing nothing of my circumstances is pretty sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yosemite sam said:

Friend I'll say what I like, and nothing you say will change that. You have no idea where I have lived in the past, so making a stupid statement like that, knowing nothing of my circumstances is pretty sad.

Nah it’s not, what’s sad is you trying to belittle what is clearly a racist comment by saying POC use it all the time just to get a reaction. Maybe you should to what they’re saying? Or just crawl back under your little rock 

• Like 1

Watched Forbes tonight for Dumbarton against Edinburgh City.

3 assists and won man of match.

Clearly it's at a lowish level but Forbes was in his element controlling the game from start to finish.

His lack of pace however remains . This held him back from making progress at the top level.

Now 32.  How time flies.

Btw Carswell and Neil also played for Dumbarton. Brown played for Edinburgh City.

2 hours ago, livivoice said:

Watched Forbes tonight for Dumbarton against Edinburgh City.

3 assists and won man of match.

Clearly it's at a lowish level but Forbes was in his element controlling the game from start to finish.

His lack of pace however remains . This held him back from making progress at the top level.

Now 32.  How time flies.

Btw Carswell and Neil also played for Dumbarton. Brown played for Edinburgh City.

I always liked Forbes and despite his lack of pace he had a tremendous left peg on him. His goal scoring run under Gannon was great, his equaliser against St Johnstone and his goal versus Steaua were tremendous, he seemed to lose his way under McCall when Jennings and Lasley cemented the central midfield berths but saying that I do remember him bossing Scott Broon in a fine 2-0 over Celtic in 2011. 

Agree re Forbes, great to watch, just couldn’t make it due to pace/natural fitness. 

Scotland squad to be announced, I wonder if Turnbull will make the cut. Would like to see either him or Gilmour in there. 

1 minute ago, GazzyB said:

Agree re Forbes, great to watch, just couldn’t make it due to pace/natural fitness. 

Scotland squad to be announced, I wonder if Turnbull will make the cut. Would like to see either him or Gilmour in there. 

Beeb Gossip page, for what it is worth, has both named as expected.

3 hours ago, Ross said:

Craig Moore signs for Darvel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think Craig ever got fully over the bad injury he got when playing for us against ICT.  As often the case in injuries like this it was the result of an innocuous coming together with a player.

Btw Luke Watt has signed for Linlithgow Rose.