Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

7 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I was nevertheless biggest Adams fan when he was at fir park - but I was a big fan of his dad - he knew how to spot a player. 

He was a classic example of a player that could score for fun in the lower leagues, but couldn't reproduce at the higher league level.

On 5/21/2021 at 11:45 AM, weeyin said:

Of course they'd be mad to sell him, but a smart move by Villa to make a bid before the new manager is installed.

My guess would be Scotland caps and a move next summer for 15/20 million. I can’t see them letting him go to anyone for 7 million.

3 hours ago, Kat said:

Jordan Archer and Marvin Johnson released by Middlesbrough earlier today. 

I would have Johnson back he's been a reasonably regular starter at Middlesbrough, still a decent player, probably can't afford him now though.

Johnson is well out of our range wage wise.

I also seem to remember his agent was a pain in the arse trying to work the move to Oxford from the start of the 2016/17 season, putting in a transfer request and slagging off the club in the press for demanding a decent fee.

While I could believe the likes of Moult may see a return to FP as a chance to rebuild his career after his injury I can't imagine Johnson would be happy to pitch back up the The Ark. 

20 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

Johnson is well out of our range wage wise.

I also seem to remember his agent was a pain in the arse trying to work the move to Oxford from the start of the 2016/17 season, putting in a transfer request and slagging off the club in the press for demanding a decent fee.

Not just his agent. I remember shortly after his transfer, Craigan making some pretty scathing comments in one of his TV spots about how Johnson downed tools to try and force a move that the club wasn't even preventing.

55 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Not just his agent. I remember shortly after his transfer, Craigan making some pretty scathing comments in one of his TV spots about how Johnson downed tools to try and force a move that the club wasn't even preventing.

Thats my recollection too. I'm sure he had an attitude problem before he left.

9 hours ago, weeyin said:

I see Ross Maciver has signed a one year deal with Partick Thistle after his loan there last season.

That's not a bad move for him, the Championship will be a very competitive league next season, Accies, Killie, Partick, Dunfermline and Raith will all being going for promotion. 

I see Elliot Frear has been released by Hearts, no mention of Roberts on the list, they must be keeping him.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I see Elliot Frear has been released by Hearts, no mention of Roberts on the list, they must be keeping him.

Roberts still has a year left on his contract, so unlikely he would be part of the general clear-out. Negotiation required - if we want him back.

3 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Roberts still has a year left on his contract, so unlikely he would be part of the general clear-out. Negotiation required - if we want him back.

Or Hearts could do what we've done in the past - come to some agreement with the player and let him leave for nought.

6 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Or Hearts could do what we've done in the past - come to some agreement with the player and let him leave for nought.

That's still a negotiation, though, that's usually separate from the mass release of players at the end of their contracts.

Personally I think they'd be mad to let him go after he proved his quality at Premiership level, but of course, it's often the change of club that makes the difference.

Stephen Hetherington, Alloa to Falkirk.

I don't know what kind of ratio there will be of youth graduates who remain in senior football compared to those who are now junior, amatuer or are lost to the game completely but it must count for something the grounding players receive at Fir Park that helps them carve out a career at some level in the senior game even if it might not be the level they had aspirations of playing at. 

You could probably come up with a fair squad of lower league players that came through at Motherwell that could perform at a reasonable level.