Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

1 hour ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

There’s no concrete evidence to support my views but I can say with 100pc certainty Gallaghers contract was negotiated 

and i can also say with 100% certainty      big dec is a fanny i for one will be booing next year 

28 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Danny Johnson, Leyton Orient to Mansfield.

Mansfield Town have signed striker Danny Johnson from Leyton Orient on a two-year contract.

The 28-year-old forward scored 20 goals in League Two last season. 

Manager Nigel Clough said: "We needed a goalscorer and that's where Danny fits the bill. 

"We were impressed with the variety of goals he scored last season, with not too many situations and chances created for him. At 28, I think he's in his prime in terms of scoring goals."

I still think we were a a bit premature in letting him go........

2 hours ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Mansfield Town have signed striker Danny Johnson from Leyton Orient on a two-year contract.

The 28-year-old forward scored 20 goals in League Two last season. 

Manager Nigel Clough said: "We needed a goalscorer and that's where Danny fits the bill. 

"We were impressed with the variety of goals he scored last season, with not too many situations and chances created for him. At 28, I think he's in his prime in terms of scoring goals."

I still think we were a a bit premature in letting him go........

He was never good enough for the premiership up here, even struggled when he was at Dundee , seems he's found his level in league 2.

16 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

He was never good enough for the premiership up here, even struggled when he was at Dundee , seems he's found his level in league 2.

A goal every two games at every club he's played at, including Motherwell and Dundee. That's exceptional.

He's one of those players that makes me think I must know fuck all about football if he's not been able to impress with those stats.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Whilst I don't know enough to argue against your assertion about his time in England I'm not convinced your point about the Premiership/Scotland is correct.

He wasn't a kick off double figures  by the turn of the year having scored against both halves of the Old Firm and Aberdeen in a Motherwell team that was far from fluent. He simply wasn't given an opportunity thereafter when the formation changed post-Ross County Cup loss. 

He also scored 7 goals in 20 appearances for Dundee which isn't the worst record either.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

You think the reason the motherwell team was less than fluent might be because we were playing with a striker that couldn't hold the ball up, beat a man or link play effectively? 

What's Connor Sammon got to do with Danny Johnson? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

I know he’s not had his injury problems to seek, however, is Burton Albion the highest level Louis Moult can expect? I’m quite surprised an Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs  didn’t take a punt to secure his services given what he did for us.

I think Burton is fairly close to Stoke which is his home town. So good for the family, including his In-Laws. Also having a former top striker as Manager might have played a part. Newish Stadium sponsored by Pirelli and a club with ambitions to climb the Leagues. He could well have held out for a higher ranked club, but for rebuilding his career after injury it ticks a lot of boxes. And if he manages a season with a few goals who is to say he cannot move on. All the best to him.

39 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

I know he’s not had his injury problems to seek, however, is Burton Albion the highest level Louis Moult can expect? I’m quite surprised an Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs  didn’t take a punt to secure his services given what he did for us.

I would imagine he’s going to be earning similar money at Burton and it’s pretty local. We have to remember he may be one injury away from being finished, not many clubs are going to break the bank for someone with his injury record and he’s hardly set the championship on fire.  

13 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Sad (yet accurate ) reflection of what we're competing against. Burton Albion a small town club with a tiny stadium and lower crowds that us can and will out punch us in salary. 

The whole set up in England is built on sand, all across the various levels, clubs paying out ridiculous amounts in wages relevant to their incomes, its great for the players but not very sound business wise.

A couple of seasons  back you had Salford, then a National league club allegedly paying Adam Rooney 5k a week, only the ugly sisters, in Scotland could realistically afford that,.

17 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Sad (yet accurate ) reflection of what we're competing against. Burton Albion a small town club with a tiny stadium and lower crowds that us can and will out punch us in salary. 

Burton (on Trent) has a population of just over 72,000. Thats just about equivalent to the population of Motherwell & Wishaw. I know thats a crude comparison for various reasons, but in pure population terms that would support a mid to lower ranking Scottish Premiership side. Certainly bigger than the likes of Inverness CT, Ross County, Kilmarnock,  Perth and Hamilton. 

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

The whole set up in England is built on sand

Everyone keeps saying that, but I've given up waiting for it all to collapse, just like I gave up waiting for Rangers going into administration again. There are plenty of rich mugs willing to keep pumping the money in to keep the whole charade going.

The mugs are everyone who buys a product advertised on a pitchside hoarding, behind an interviewed player in the tunnel or subscribes to Sky, Premier Sports and/or BT.

I'd say it has a very stable foundation built on pretty much assured TV income.

The reasons Moult would come here are: history, I'd argue his fondest memories playing football thus far, familiarity and TV exposure.

At Burton he is close to home, wife happy, family close, commensurate or higher wages.

Motherwell was sold as a stepping stone and both parties honoured their side of the bargain. His obvious affection such as turning up to matches and sitting in the stands is testament to the affinity that goes both ways. The only reason we could have been considered in the running for his signature is due to his injury, otherwise we'd have to wait till he was 30+.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

What we should be doing and maybe we are, is using our ties with the like of Moult to have him inform us of any promising young prospects he comes across. 

Is that not what the new head of recruitment was brought in to do, identify potential signings

3 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

So we shouldn’t use other means at our disposal? 

If you mean using ex players as unpaid scouts, yes, all enquiries re contracted and other clubs players need to be done officially club to club etc, for example would it be right for say Turnbull or Gallacher to contact Motherwell to say there's a promising player at Celtic  or Aberdeen we should look at, I think not.