Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

8 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Had a scour on the net and can't find anything back to the 90s. 

Early 2000's we averaged 7500 fans (2005 season).   We've definitely dropped off since but perhaps 10k per week is remembering through claret coated lenses. 

Either way I'd love to see FP back rocking and no better time than now. (well next week)  

Inflated for OF attendance, would drop to around 4500 without them

17 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

Disappointed by this. Had high hopes for the boy and he's turned out to be another Scot gone south and failed. I can't help but feel he's not given it his best shot be that at Hull or elsewhere. 

Another youngster who left too early.

I get that - Edinburgh has always been bigger than Motherwell.   It's more a comparison how we've fallen in crowd size. 

Hibs/Motherwell for a long period of time had very similar crowd size, over the last 20 years they've maintained v's we've halved in crowd size.

I don't know how they've managed to maintain v's why we declined - but it does frustrate. 

Ideally I'd like to see us improve and get stronger as a club - v's the survive another year and aim for 9-6th spot. 

We've never in my lifetime been anywhere close to Hibs in crowd size and certainly not in the last 20 years - not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

My feeling is he will struggle to hold  down a starting spot. He left us with a lot of developing to do and I can’t believe he’s developed that much since.

He's not developed at all in my opinion it looked like he would kick on  in the 1st few months after he went to Hull but that was it. The championship in England is a big step up from League 1 and for me he's not up to it, a few loan deals until his contract expires  then he will be back up the road and end up in the championship up here alongside Hastie.

2 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

He’s better than Scottish championship.
Not sure where he will end up but I’m sure it won’t be in our championship. The comparison with Hastie is a bit unfair. 

Why is the comparison with Hastie unfair? Both of them came through the academy took their chance when it came and looked like they would become 1st team regulars.

Then after a great few months each they followed the cash to deals with bigger clubs, which  in my view was a mistake,as another season or two to develop at Fir park would have been a better prospect, but that said I won't criticise anyone for looking for a better wage and financial security.

As it turns out both of them  started well but failed to kick on resulting in them being loaned out, so the comparison is very valid.

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Why is the comparison with Hastie unfair? Both of them came through the academy took their chance when it came and looked like they would become 1st team regulars.

Then after a great few months each they followed the cash to deals with bigger clubs, which  in my view was a mistake,as another season or two to develop at Fir park would have been a better prospect, but that said I won't criticise anyone for looking for a better wage and financial security.

As it turns out both of them  started well but failed to kick on resulting in them being loaned out, so the comparison is very valid.

Granted there are similarities (not least departing too early) but a few important differences apply;

* Hastie's ' time in the sun' with us was very brief whereas Scott's good progress was pretty continuous.

* Scott's greater potential meant he held down a first team place much earlier than Hastie. 

* Scott as far as I recall didn't need to go out on loan.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Had a scour on the net and can't find anything back to the 90s. 

Early 2000's we averaged 7500 fans (2005 season).   We've definitely dropped off since but perhaps 10k per week is remembering through claret coated lenses. 

Either way I'd love to see FP back rocking and no better time than now. (well next week)  

That giant pile of programmes taking up real estate just justified it's existence! :lol:

• Haha 1

While I understand the attraction of the EPL and signing for your boyhood heroes - not to mention the large sums of cash involved - I still wonder if guys like Gillespie regret not playing more games.

Newcastle have a goalkeeping issue right now with their number one and number two out injured, and I see Gillespie made it to the bench today as number four. I guess keepers are more used to sitting on the bench, but going from first team regular to fourth choice non-starter must be tough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

2 goals so far for Turnbull today,  4-0 at half time St M look like getting a serious pumping today

Update its 3 for Turnbull now, think that's his 1st career hat trick

Could trigger an ‘add on’ if we were creative with the contract.

Unlikely.

17 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

No sign if Dunne in the St Mirren team today, out injured, wonder how many games they will get out the injury prone wonder. 

I’m still amazed they gave a two year contract to someone who was never fit. 

18 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Precisely. Add to that, Curtis Main firing blanks and Richard Tait on the bench again yesterday and that puts things in perspective. 

Three players that would have little playing time if back with us. For all the stick when Tait left, as you say he now can’t hold down a starting place.  I understand the philosophy of signing experienced Premiership players  but they still need to be the right choice. They signed a player who’s pace had gone, a striker who can’t score goals, and another that’s always going to be one injury away from retiring.