Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Most top coaches in any sport were average pros at best.

when he played with us he wasnt even average      he was murder   i always said his hands were tied with elastic bands to the posts but heez made a good living at being a pish goalie

1 hour ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Need more input. 

Spiderpig gave a few good football examples - and others off the top of my head:

Butch Harmon (one tour win in a satellite event) was Tiger Woods coach when he was at his peak.

Bill Belichick's height of American Football playing achievement was playing for Wesleyan University just down the road from here.

Glen Mills wasn't even good enough to compete at High School athletics so gave up and became a coach, eventually for Usain Bolt.

Thomas Tuchel was a lower league level player before he turned to coaching.

Just now, weeyin said:

Spiderpig gave a few good football examples - and others off the top of my head:

Butch Harmon (one tour win in a satellite event) was Tiger Woods coach when he was at his peak.

Bill Belichick's height of American Football playing achievement was playing for Wesleyan University just down the road from here.

Glen Mills wasn't even good enough to compete at High School athletics so gave up and became a coach, eventually for Usain Bolt.

Do as I tell you, not as I do…… kind of. 

1 minute ago, texanwellfan said:

Do as I tell you, not as I do…… kind of. 

It's just a different skill set. 

Lots of naturally gifted players couldn't even tell you how they do something, whereas a good coach can break it down and figure what you need to change and how to change it. Or, how to make the most of what you have.

10 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Was that right back inside the classroom? :laugh:

I was centre forward for East Milton Primary in EK in 1965:whistling:

That’s all I‘ve got…..

After that (sub-Grizzly) joke, I'm glad I probably moved out of position and Sounessed you one :lol:.

Was your football pitch not right beside the school?  I thought I'd played on it once but it was a very long time ago........

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Stevie Woods gets a very hard rap. He was decent. Did he make a Scotland squad at one point? Or was that Howie? 

I'm pretty sure they both did. 

Thats not to say either were good goalies.  Woods made a few notable and timely cock ups that really soured him to many well fans of a certain generation. If it wasn't for those cock ups and being one of the weaker players in a good motherwell team he'd barely be remembered, like  a Graeme Smith level of notable.

On 8/25/2021 at 6:39 PM, Happy Dosser said:

After that (sub-Grizzly) joke, I'm glad I probably moved out of position and Sounessed you one :lol:.

Was your football pitch not right beside the school?  I thought I'd played on it once but it was a very long time ago........

Yes it was red ash and dettol and a wee hand scrubbing brush treatment after the game :umbrage: