Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

41 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Yes it was red ash and detol and a wee hand scrubbing brush treatment after the game :umbrage:

Young yins nowadays that complain about plastic parks don't know they're born. Bring back the old 'blaize' parks, there was even an old black ash one I remember used to be in Blantyre.

Going to school the next day with your trousers stuck to the seeping wounds on your leg. That'll show them how real men learned the game !!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

I'm pretty sure they both did. 

Thats not to say either were good goalies.  Woods made a few notable and timely cock ups that really soured him to many well fans of a certain generation. If it wasn't for those cock ups and being one of the weaker players in a good motherwell team he'd barely be remembered, like  a Graeme Smith level of notable.

Woods made 143 league appearances for us.

It's possible that he fooled every manager that he played for into thinking could play, and that we couldn't find a replacement for him during all that time. It's more likely, however, that he was regarded as good enough by professionals whose job was dependent on results.

10 minutes ago, mfcdez said:

Young yins nowadays that complain about plastic parks don't know they're born. Bring back the old 'blaize' parks, there was even an old black ash one I remember used to be in Blantyre.

Going to school the next day with your trousers stuck to the seeping wounds on your leg. That'll show them how real men learned the game !!

Back in my school days Wishaw Central used to play on a ash park. … … It was a bit of everything black/red you name it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Stevie Woods gets a very hard rap. He was decent. Did he make a Scotland squad at one point? Or was that Howie? 

He was average with a tenancy to make the occasional howler, I think decent is pushing it. He was a similar standard to John Gardiner.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Woods made 143 league appearances for us.

It's possible that he fooled every manager that he played for into thinking could play, and that we couldn't find a replacement for him during all that time. It's more likely, however, that he was regarded as good enough by professionals whose job was dependent on results.

Thats essentially what I'm saying. He was a perfectly decent mid table SPL keeper who made a few howlers.

Better than the likes of Neilsen, Hollis etc. Not as good as Randolph, Carson, Kelly etc.

He was absolutely rotten, I honestly hate criticising players past or present but this guy used to wake me up in a cold sweat at night. Having loads of brothers and sisters it was a luxury for me to get along to games when I was younger, everytime I seemed to go he always added another notch to his blooper reel. 

I know he played 100+ games for the side, he signed for the club when we were desperate for keepers, despite being installed as number one initially he lost his place to Scott Howie only filling in for injuries for the next three years or so. 

He enjoyed a run in the team in the 1997/98 season when Howie ubruptly left a week before the season was about to kick off, we had that guy Pegguy Arphexad in on trial but as his international clearance didn't come in time for a pre season friendly against Aston Villa the club didn't offer him a deal and we ran with Woods with Gary Gow as back up then eventually Scott Thomson, but in all honestly I believe the club was really skint at this point. 

He battled it out with Mikko Kaven for the spot the following season before Andy Goram arrived, Stevie actually managed to grab the no1 jersey from Goram for a handful of games but he scuppered that with a clearance against Killie all to similar to the one against Rangers in the cup. 

Andy seemed to have many injury issues which gave Woods plenty runs in the side.

He eventually took over from Mark Brown if I remember correctly which was the admin season, the following year he went into the campaign as first choice but after his Livingston horror show he lost his place to Francois Dubourdeau. 

He was a better winger than a goalie.

I'm sorry to say but the two worst keepers I've seen with my own eyes in a Well top are Woods and Samson and it's scary that both are current coaches in Scotland top league. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I would have thought "decent" was on par with average but fair enough. I think it is mentioned every time he's brought up but his occasional howler defo soured folks view of him.

Hearts cup game.

I firmly believe if we had big sieb in mcleish’s first season we’d have won the league that year.

Woods was an awful goalkeeper, maybe not thee worst I’ve seen for us but definitely up there in the top 5.

the only goalie I’ve ever saw who on a one to one with a striker he’d make the goal look bigger. Running out to the striker with his arms rigid to his sides…… still makes me shake with fear.

1 hour ago, mio said:

I firmly believe if we had big sieb in mcleish’s first season we’d have won the league that year.

Woods was an awful goalkeeper, maybe not thee worst I’ve seen for us but definitely up there in the top 5.

the only goalie I’ve ever saw who on a one to one with a striker he’d make the goal look bigger. Running out to the striker with his arms rigid to his sides…… still makes me shake with fear.

Dykstra profits from the halo effect of his personality, and generally solid displays, but he wasn't perfect in significant matches.

7 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Back in my school days Wishaw Central used to play on a ash park. … … It was a bit of everything black/red you name it. 

Playing for my primary school in Hamilton we played on red Ash and also black Ash pitches,  horrendous to play on and my knees were a permanent magnet for gravel......aghhh brings back tears just thinking of it

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mio said:

Woods never came off his line apart from 1995 cup tie at Easter Road when he raced about 30yds off his line,  was then lobbed and another cup dream disappeared 

Woods was an occasional liability and a permanent bombscare for us. Even when he was having one of his better games you just knew a major howler was just around the corner ie. that Rangers Cup tie. I have honestly never forgiven him for that.

I know people argue that he made over 100 appearances for us but it should be pointed out that he was here for nine years and in that time either played second fiddle to or at best couldn’t hold down the No.1 jersey against five different goalkeepers. That says it all for me, it was clear that none of the managers we had during that time trusted him as a first choice goalkeeper.