Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

I think you can always tell how well or otherwise a player is regarded at a club by the length of the club statement when  they leave. That one couldnt really have been any shorter......

good luck to him. 

We've signed many a player over the last few years who simply aren't good enough for SPL, the sooner we spot this and let them leave the better.

Suspect he'll have something lined up - hence the mutual ending of contact. 

There's a few others who could  easily be in the same position  ( irrespective of making/not making social media comments. )  The hard bit is them finding new clubs and wishing to cancel their contract.  

I'm old enough to remember when the chat on here was that Lawless was an example of a player we shouldn't have released.

Having said that - he has spent 9 years playing in the top Scottish League, which is a decent career that many players we released would have been happy with.

I'm not surprised we punted him he left by mutual consent after his recent shenanigans.

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Is he allowed to sign for another club given it was after the window closed?

Unless he's going to a league who have an open window he can't play for another club until the January window opens, no.

I suppose there's nothing to stop him provisionally signing for another club but they'd be paying him two and a half months wages to come into training and I don't think his player registration could be transferred until the next window opens anyway.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Unless he's going to a league who have an open window he can't play for another club until the January window opens, no.

I suppose there's nothing to stop him provisionally signing for another club but they'd be paying him two and a half months wages to come into training and I don't think his player registration could be transferred until the next window opens anyway.

The transfer window only applies to transfers between clubs, so as his Motherwell contract has been cancelled he is now a free agent with no club and can therefore sign for any other club he likes at any time.  

25 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

The transfer window only applies to transfers between clubs, so as his Motherwell contract has been cancelled he is now a free agent with no club and can therefore sign for any other club he likes at any time.  

That would only apply if we had cancelled his contract before the last window shut. It's why you see as many players get their contracts mutually consented on deadline day to allow them to sign for a new club outside the window and also why it's fairly uncommon for players to mutually consent outside a window.

We didn't. He was still registered Motherwell player when the last window shut (he was literally in the team photo a fortnight ago).

So while yes, he's a free agent now he can't play for another club until January unless he moves to a club where their transfer window is open.

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

That would only apply if we had cancelled his contract before the last window shut. It's why you see as many players get their contracts mutually consented on deadline day to allow them to sign for a new club outside the window and also why it's fairly uncommon for players to mutually consent outside a window.

We didn't. He was still registered Motherwell player when the last window shut (he was literally in the team photo a fortnight ago).

So while yes, he's a free agent now he can't play for another club until January unless he moves to a club where their transfer window is open.

If this is true, and Ive no reason to doubt it, why would Lawless agree to that? I wouldnt. He would effectively be agreeing to no wages until January, unless of course the club have paid up his contract until January to get him out the building.

20 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

If this is true, and Ive no reason to doubt it, why would Lawless agree to that? I wouldnt. He would effectively be agreeing to no wages until January, unless of course the club have paid up his contract until January to get him out the building.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a severance package to tide him over until the next window.

I think it’s a certainty that there would have been some sort of ‘sweetener’ from the club to push his departure through.

And given that he never appeared to be too bothered about not playing regularly whilst still on our books then I doubt he’ll be that hung up on having a few months without a club. He’s 30/31(?) now anyway and probably heading towards lower league football, possibly even part time which he could probably make last for a few years yet with the right club so I can see why he would agree to a severance from us if that is indeed the case.

21 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a severance package to tide him over until the next window.

There must be. Otherwise he could just have developed a "Deccy like" back injury and sat out with wages until January or even the end of the season. At least this way he is not using up club training or physio resources. Can we forget about him now please?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

There must be. Otherwise he could just have developed a "Deccy like" back injury and sat out with wages until January or even the end of the season. At least this way he is not using up club training or physio resources. Can we forget about him now please?

Who ?