Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

I was shocked Brian McLean was playing for morton today, he must be some age now and he was made of chocolate when he was with us. 

Quick look at Wikipedia and he's 36 and played for us between 2005 and 2009 including loan spell, 30 games in the first season and another 30 over the next 3...

Genuinely didn’t notice him

1 hour ago, numpty said:

An interview with Bigi in which it turns out he's only ever really enjoyed playing for Motherwell and Coventry.

Bigirimana is part of a Glentoran team that are finding their groove again in the Irish League, but hasn't featured for them since the turn of the year. They are saturated with options in the middle of the park, so his time there may be limited after January.

On the blue side of Belfast, Christy Manzinga has 17 or 18 goals for the season so far, second top scorer behind Glentoran's mercurial striker and convicted sex-offender Jay Donnelly.

Rohan Ferguson is having an up and down season in goals for Larne. He's been at fault - or certainly could have done better - for a few goals that have contributed to them sliding out of title contention.

For anyone interested in seeing how good/bad the Irish League is, there's at least one live game a week on the BBC iPlayer, either on a Friday night or a Saturday 530 kick off. Tends to mainly be games involving the Belfast sides, plus Larne and Coleraine, and it's very rare for there to be a game without goals, drama, controversy or abysmal refereeing.

Edited by Kris-A-Goalda
typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

You could beat Nicky Walker quite easily, though.

Nicky Walker was just before my time, I seem to remember him with Partick Thistle. I have a memory of Tommy Coyne trying to lob him from far out and the ball was going well wide but for whatever reason Walker attempted to dive and get it only to divert it in which gave us a last minute equaliser. Plus I prefer Deans shortbread.

Nicky Walker was obviously a favourite of the late Jock Wallace who brought him to Fir Park, having previously had I’m under his tutelage at Leicester and then took him on to Rangers. I recall him being decent enough for us, and certainly not the worst we ever had between the sticks, though I don’t think I was too upset to see him leave. I am trying to remember who he may have replaced in goal for us, Shuggie Sproat perhaps? I cannot but think that old Hugh’s anachronisms would not have gone down well with Jock Wallace, though they did make him a bit of a cult hero with some of our support.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The African said:

Nicky Walker was obviously a favourite of the late Jock Wallace who brought him to Fir Park, having previously had I’m under his tutelage at Leicester and then took him on to Rangers. I recall him being decent enough for us, and certainly not the worst we ever had between the sticks, though I don’t think I was too upset to see him leave. I am trying to remember who he may have replaced in goal for us, Shuggie Sproat perhaps? I cannot but think that old Hugh’s anachronisms would not have gone down well with Jock Wallace, though they did make him a bit of a cult hero with some of our support.

Shuggie Shuggie 

Swing on the bar.

Happy days 

6 hours ago, clueless said:

Hugh Sproat was a McLeod signing. Was it not Cammy Duncan who replaced Nicky Walker?

Indeed he was. I am suggesting that Walker replaced Sproat, not vice versa. As for who replaced Walker, the mention of Dornan and Harrow reminded me that we picked up a few fringe players from Aberdeen around the early to mid eighties, including John Gardner. I think Cammy Duncan was just a bit later.

A quick check online has confirmed that Gardner joined us around then, though from Dundee United rather than Aberdeen.

7 hours ago, Kris-A-Goalda said:

Ben Hall debuting for Linfield on the iPlayer just now against Larne in the Irish Cup.  

Christy Manzinga booked after 4 minutes and lucky not to be off for kick at a Larne defender.

Jake Hastie on the bench for the Blues as well. 

and Rohan Ferguson was on the bench for Larne

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Liam Polworth again an unused sub for Kilmarnock last night.

How the mighty have fallen eh? He actually looked a player when he first came to us but just didn’t show it nearly enough as time went on.