Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

19 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

McPake beat Hearts at Tynecastle and took them into the quarters of the Scottish Cup, only to be sacked. Dundee were clearly behind his back looking for a new manager. Despicable behaviour, hope they go down for a while.

Agree. And you can add to that the fact he won promotion as the Championship team in the play-off, which is a rarity. The very least they owed him was his chance to consolidate in the Premiership his first season back.

6 hours ago, GazzyB said:

McPake beat Hearts at Tynecastle and took them into the quarters of the Scottish Cup, only to be sacked. Dundee were clearly behind his back looking for a new manager. Despicable behaviour, hope they go down for a while.

I suspect that this move was planned before the Hearts game. They're panicking either because of the improved form of St Johnstone & Ross County  or because other clubs have sacked their managers and they don't want to be beaten to a target.   In short they're  a basket case of a club and have been for some years now.  Their recent treatment of Cummings and Adam only serves to underline that. Mark McGhee??????

Ricki Lamie will be looking on with interest although I don't suppose this situation will phase him in any way.

Gordon Strachan going all out to get his best buddy a job. I'm  surprised they turfed out McPake at this juncture, apparently the directors had a meeting just over a week or so ago to discuss his future but nothing obviously came of that. Since the January deadline day he has got the club into the Quarter Finals of the cup, beat Hearts at Tynecastle and drew with Dundee United, they conceded late against Ross County but they do have a game in hand as well over St Johnstone. According to reports the new manager will be named today.

3 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I see McGhee still has to serve the 6-match touchline ban he was given following that match at Pittodrie shortly before he was sacked :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60383590

I’d forgotten about that, that’s hilarious :lol:

If Dundee appoint that self important bag of wind then hell mend them, that is very much a case of ‘jobs for the boys’ with Strachan getting his pal a gig.

19 minutes ago, Kat said:

That's McGhee confirmed as manager.

Dundee must have a very quick decision making process :wink:

McGhee has still to serve the rest of his touchline ban incurred when with us. Given that he lives in Brighton, how mch time will he actually spend at Dens?

25 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I’d forgotten about that, that’s hilarious :lol:

If Dundee appoint that self important bag of wind then hell mend them, that is very much a case of ‘jobs for the boys’ with Strachan getting his pal a gig.

You have to feel sorry for McPake with Strachan plotting behind his back to dump him and bring in his pal, very shady I hope they get relegated now they deserve it after that move.

Wow, can’t believe Mutley got that job. If you’re a Dundee fan you’d be raging. 
i still have a soft spot for McGhee in a strange way, he had us playing some great stuff first time around and you could never criticise him for the way he led us through Phil’s passing.

good luck to him…… but I can only see failure at that club.

• Like 1

That 6 game ban gives him about another 4 weeks in Brighton before he has to consider coming up.

I feel for McGhee in that sense to be honest. I am sure he has a severely disabled son that lives down there and when up here he tried to get down right after games and back by the Tuesday.  

His first season in his first spell was brilliant and the football we played that season, particularly in the first half of the season was absolutely sublime. After that season though he clearly thought he was too big for us and the way he spend his second season basically whoring himself out to other clubs, arguing with fans and being more or less an unofficial Celtic mouthpiece then any good will I had for him disappeared. And don’t forget he hung about for weeks longer than he should have in summer 2009 when everyone knew he was leaving and we had a rebuilding job to do, but he wanted to wait as long as possible to see if he got the Celtic job before settling for Aberdeen.

I was absolutely disgusted when he was brought back here and had absolutely no doubts at the time and still don’t that that was down to some personal friendships he had with people in positions of power inside Fir Park. He continued disrespecting the club during his 2nd spell and his sermon about how missing out on promotion with Wolves twenty years earlier was the reason he “was managing Motherwell today and not Liverpool” was and still is one of the worst things I’ve ever heard a Motherwell manager coming out with.

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

...was and still is one of the worst things I’ve ever heard a Motherwell manager coming out with.

That could be a fun thread, "worst things a manager has said while managing Motherwell."

For me Maurice Malpas and his "that's just your Donald Duck" after getting beat 4-0 (?) by Inverness (?) will never be topped.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

That could be a fun thread, "worst things a manager has said while managing Motherwell."

For me Maurice Malpas and his "that's just your Donald Duck" after getting beat 4-0 (?) by Inverness (?) will never be topped.

You’re not far off, it was against Dunfermline at the end of the season when we lost 4-1 at East End Park to set up that awful last day at home to St.Mirren.

He did make another ridiculous comment after a 4-1 loss to Inverness at home earlier that same season when he said post match “I wish I could just have walked out after 75 minutes like the fans did” or something to that effect.

• Haha 1

Craig Brown  - "I only talked to Aberdeen as a courtesy"

Terry Butcher - "I only went to Australia for a holiday"

EDIT: I'll add that I have some sympathy with managers when they are wheeled out the press to answer their often stupid questions in the immediate aftermath of a defeat. I don't have any sympathy when players and managers lie about their intentions to move on and peddle the pork pies. It makes them look like they think fans are idiots.

• Haha 1

All players and managers talk shite now and again, some more than others but Craig Brown takes the biscuit. The way he went out of his way to explain his decision to stay with us and how he looked “Stephen Craigan in the eyes” then the very next day he left just showed him up as the slimy, slippery wee rat that he truly was. And even after he’d gone he still couldn’t help himself rambling away in his stupid, squeaky wee voice about how much money he’d spent in our club shop the previous Christmas and such like.

Of course no one in the media called him out on his bullshit, they never do and so many always have seen him and still do see him as this cuddly wee old gentleman and icon of Scottish football. In reality he’d probably sell his own grandweans for another shot at managing Scotland.

• Like 1