Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

52 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

He did make another ridiculous comment after a 4-1 loss to Inverness at home earlier that same season when he said post match “I wish I could just have walked out after 75 minutes like the fans did” or something to that effect.

That quote has stuck with me ever since. At a time when when we all looked to our leader to pick us up and motivate us he came out with that.

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

That quote has stuck with me ever since. At a time when when we all looked to our leader to pick us up and motivate us he came out with that.

Aye that was early on in the season too and even then the alarm bells were ringing about Malpas.

McGhee's biggest problem is he never lets a thought go unspoken.

I agree he did a decent job for us most of the time. He rightly took flak for saying he wanted the Celtic job shortly after he joined us. He repeated that thought shortly after joining Aberdeen - which is either stupidity or ego.

It made his press conferences interesting, though.

4 hours ago, GazzyB said:

That could be a fun thread, "worst things a manager has said while managing Motherwell."

For me Maurice Malpas and his "that's just your Donald Duck" after getting beat 4-0 (?) by Inverness (?) will never be topped.

Gannon - It’s like juggling soot

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

McGhee turned us around twice. 

If he is fully committed to the job he could be a decent appointment for them this season. 

Punting your manager with 13 games left and on the back of 2 good wins was a nonsense,Dundee will end up bottom  and Mutley will return to footballing obscurity once more.

15 hours ago, mio said:

Wow, can’t believe Mutley got that job. If you’re a Dundee fan you’d be raging. 
i still have a soft spot for McGhee in a strange way, he had us playing some great stuff first time around and you could never criticise him for the way he led us through Phil’s passing.

Actually, you could, there's an interview about the Scotland job that he basically says he'll take it with Motherwell's blessing, my tuppence worth is that there was leadership required and he was ready to bolt. At the time it felt a little crass.

13 hours ago, steelboy said:

McGhee turned us around twice. 

If he is fully committed to the job he could be a decent appointment for them this season. 

You’ve clearly forgotten the bombscare performances under him last time, he totally lost the plot. Robinson pulled us out of trouble.

43 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

You’ve clearly forgotten the bombscare performances under him last time, he totally lost the plot. Robinson pulled us out of trouble.

He steered us out of trouble and got us to fifth in 15/16 after the disaster that was Baraclough’s tenure, though given the players at his disposal any competent manager would have probably done similar. What can’t be ignored though was that in his second spell we lost 6-0, 7-0, 5-0, 7-2 & 5-1 and only two of those hammerings came against Celtic, the side you’d expect to lose by such a score line to. 
And as already said he continued to come out with ridiculous self indulgent nonsense which embarrassed the club. That Cup tie at Ibrox in January 2017 where we lost 2-1 and his interview afterwards where he threw the entire team under the bus and “couldn’t give a monkeys” about the players was a pathetic display of petulance and bitterness, completely unbecoming of a manager of any professional football club and it was no coincidence imo that our season nosedived spectacularly between then and his sacking five weeks later.

I’ve no doubt that Mark McGhee is a good coach, but he is also an absolute weapon of a man who’s ego, self importance and divisive manner will always count against him.

• Like 1

I see Stevie Hammell is 40 today.

One of our best servants over the last couple of decades and a bit, from making his debut at Pittodrie as an 18 year old in April 2000 he made that left back slot his own for the best part of the next seventeen years.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I'd kill for a Stevie Hammell today.

I think this is our main issue as supporters when we criticise our current left back incumbents. When you look at Carroll and Mcginley they are just not in the same ballpark as we’ve been used to in the past and we have been spoiled and expect a higher level of player.

Joe wark, Tom Boyd, Rab McKinnon, Stevie McMillan, Stevie Hammell.

we really had a run of tremendous left backs and the current crop are just not anywhere near it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mio said:

I think this is our main issue as supporters when we criticise our current left back incumbents. When you look at Carroll and Mcginley they are just not in the same ballpark as we’ve been used to in the past and we have been spoiled and expect a higher level of player.

Joe wark, Tom Boyd, Rab McKinnon, Stevie McMillan, Stevie Hammell.

we really had a run of tremendous left backs and the current crop are just not anywhere near it.

Of that bunch, Joe Wark was the standout by far, followed by Rab MacKinnon. Although decent, I never thought Steve MacMillan was that good being held back by his lack of pace. Stevie Hammell was very loyal but not a great defender. He was however extremely good going forward, and that masked his defensive limitations.  

• Like 1

Joe Wark had all the attributes of a modern left back with his ability to break forward and pick out a cross. He also had all the attributes of an old school left back with his precision and timing of his tackling.

Was a pleasure to watch all those years.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2022 at 4:30 PM, MJC_mkII said:

All players and managers talk shite now and again, some more than others but Craig Brown takes the biscuit. The way he went out of his way to explain his decision to stay with us and how he looked “Stephen Craigan in the eyes” then the very next day he left just showed him up as the slimy, slippery wee rat that he truly was. And even after he’d gone he still couldn’t help himself rambling away in his stupid, squeaky wee voice about how much money he’d spent in our club shop the previous Christmas and such like.

Of course no one in the media called him out on his bullshit, they never do and so many always have seen him and still do see him as this cuddly wee old gentleman and icon of Scottish football. In reality he’d probably sell his own grandweans for another shot at managing Scotland.

We haven't had the pleasure of your voice yet, wind that shit in.